ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will Paying Rent by Cash create problem when applying for EP/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mmssaa
India

Will Paying Rent by Cash create problem when applying for EP/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship?

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am

Hi there,

My landlord (actually a sublessor) is asking me to pay the rent in Cash. He is not willing to accept the rent through Bank for some reason. Since the demand is so high to get a shared house in the area I live, I have agreed for now.

I want to know whether this will have a problem in the long term as I am paying the rent in cash? Especially when it comes to applying for an Employment Permit/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship or any other thing for that matter?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Will Paying Rent by Cash create problem when applying for EP/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship?

Post by littlerr » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:38 pm

Paying by cash is not a problem. Proof of payment/rental agreement is. I presume if the sub-lessor wants cash, they probably won’t give you proof of payment either. You need to make sure you have documentary proof that you are renting there.

mmssaa
India

Re: Will Paying Rent by Cash create problem when applying for EP/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship?

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:25 pm

1) I have made a digital rental agreement by myself between me and the sublessor stating that rent will be paid in cash etc and got the sublessor's signature digitally. I think the rental agreement is void as it does not have a signature from the landlord. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) The sublessor is ready to give me a rent receipt which is similar to this - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw8ps0NWsAAdr2l.jpg. Would this be sufficient?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Neither of those are valid proof of tenancy as the tenancy has not been registered with PRTB and the property has been subletted without the consent of the landlord. Very likely that you will be asked to show utility bills with your name on them.

Speak to the landlord directly and ask to add your name on the next bills.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Vorona wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:36 pm
Speak to the landlord directly and ask to add your name on the next bills.
The sublessor is not allowing me to talk to the landlord and sadly, it is very hard to get a shared accommodation in this area.

I have recently got my own broadband connection & I am gonna be getting broadband bills hereafter in my name to the address I am staying currently. Would that work?

Basically, I don't want any problem in the future (be it for EP/Stamp 4/PR/Citizenship or anything for that matter) because of my current renting. Please advice.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 pm

mmssaa wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm
I have recently got my own broadband connection & I am gonna be getting broadband bills hereafter in my name to the address I am staying currently. Would that work?
It will be accepted as long as the broadband is registered to the same address, and it's not a "mobile broadband". You will also need a different utility bill like gas, electricity or waste.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Vorona wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 pm
It will be accepted as long as the broadband is registered to the same address
Thanks, may I know what you mean by "as long as the broadband is registered to the same address"?

I have got a new broadband (not mobile broadband) connection and it is registered to the address I am living.
Vorona wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 pm
You will also need a different utility bill like gas, electricity or waste.
Do gas, electricity, and waste bills ALSO required to prove my tenancy?

A general question, in which situation I will be asked to prove my tenancy? or basically, when will these bills be of any use for me?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 pm

It means that your name and the correct address are shown on the bill for your broadband. Just having a broadband bill will not be enough. Have your name on at least one more utility bill. You can be asked to show up to date utility bills in many different situations like renewing your permission, opening bank accounts, Revenue matters, applying for permanent residency or citizenship and other.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm

Vorona wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 pm
You will be asked to show it in many different situations like renewing your permission, opening bank accounts, Revenue, applying for permanent residency or citizenship.
I am new to Ireland and I might move to an independent house in a few months where I will get all the bills in my name and I have still a long way to go for applying for stamp 4/PR/citizenship/renewing permission etc. I have sorted the opening of a bank account for now.

1) Do you think that I need to have my name on one more utility bill even in this shared accommodation?
2) Will there be any situation where I will be asked to show my past tenancy proofs when applying for stamp 4/PR/citizenship/renewing permission etc?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Yes. You are asking the same questions.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:38 pm

My apologies Vorona.

A final couple of questions please:
1) When applying for stamp 4/PR/citizenship/renewing permission, will I be asked to show tenancy proofs/utility bills older than 1 or 2 years? (Sorry if this is a repetitive question)
2) I spoke to a different landlord when looking for a shared accommodation now and he said that he can provide me the rental agreement but the tenancy is not registered with PRTB because he is a live-in landlord. Is it required to register with PRTB even the landlord is live-in? He said that he can provide me a rental agreement but since all bills are included in the rent, he won't include my name in anything else. Would that be okay?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Every private renting is supposed to be registered with PRTB. However, it is not the tenant's responsibility to make sure it happens. INIS cannot force you to produce this. It would only help prove you live here, but it's not a mandatory requirement. There's also no requirement that the landlord will have to directly rent the property to you (which means they could rent it to someone else, and they sub-lease it to you.)
The only requirement regarding citizenship application is that you have sufficient proofs (i.e. at least 3 proofs) that you live in this address.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you Vorona and littlerr, much appreciated.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm
The only requirement regarding citizenship application is that you have sufficient proofs (i.e. at least 3 proofs) that you live in this address.
Q1) I am assuming for citizenship application an applicant must provide three separate proofs of address documents FOR EACH YEAR of residence in Ireland claimed. Please correct me if I am wrong

Q2) Assuming the applicant is living in shared accommodation & the utility bills are included in the rent, the applicant will never have utility bills in his name. Will the following documents be accepted as proof of address:
a) Private Health Insurance Policy Document
b) Bank Statements
c) Payslips

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 pm

As of today you need to provide three different proofs of address in addition to banks statements and payslips. Things are changing regularly. You are getting ahead of yourself and it's too early for you to think about citizenship.

Read the following guidance:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... m-CTZ3.pdf

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Lol that's true. I was asking for a friend too who is in Ireland for the past 2+ years and is in shared accommodation so far. Anyways, thank you so much for all the replies. Much much much appreciated.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 pm

1. Yes 3 proofs for each year.
2. Health insurance, bank statements, payslips (with address), letter from employer, letter from Revenue (you can request for various letters from Revenue online)... anything from a business with an address on it.

mmssaa
India

Post by mmssaa » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 pm

Lovely I am crystal clear now. Thank you folks.