ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Immigration Status'

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

English proof of language

Post by Imm2021 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Hello,

So, my question is this; does anyone know (or has anyone a similar experience) if it is possible to use the 'Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education' (PGCertHE), as proof of English? In my case this certificate was issues by the University of Sussex.

I saw here (https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english) that if the degree is from a UK institution just the degree is enough, but if it is not, then an additional certificate is necessary. So I was wondering if I can use the PGCert. That would save me time and money.

More info regarding the PGCert is here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postgradu ... _Education)

Any advise in this regard will be highly appreciated.

mike_21
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: English proof of language

Post by mike_21 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:02 pm

I am assuming that you joined Sussex University with a valid UK visa; if so, you are exempted from showing proof of English when applying for SW visa.

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Post by Imm2021 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

What you mention makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately however, nowhere in the application, or the page about the English requirements I could find such information about being exempt.

I'm thinking that, to play it safe, maybe I should just go ahead and certify one of my degrees from abroad.

Br

mike_21
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mike_21 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi, the following is quoted from the SW website
"You’ll usually need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply, unless you did this in a previous successful visa application."

If you had joined Sussex University for a Postgraduate course, I think you had already shown proof of English as part of the Student Visa requirement. In any case, you can always play it safe!

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Post by Imm2021 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 am

Thank you.

That's still good to know though. I actually think that if that's the case, it should be made clearer in the application.

Kind regards.

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Question about 'child benefits'

Post by Imm2021 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Question: I'm filling out the application for ILR, and there's this question ((pardon the redundancy), that asks 'if anyone in the application is receiving government benefits?' And one of the examples they put there, is 'child benefits.'

I just thought I'd better check; I have a UK-Born daughter who's been going to nursery last year. She's been attending just 12 hours per week, which falls under the hours that you get for free. I tend to think it doesn't, but does anyone know if that counts as 'child benefit'?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Question about 'child benefits'

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Imm2021 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm
Question: I'm filling out the application for ILR, and there's this question ((pardon the redundancy), that asks 'if anyone in the application is receiving government benefits?' And one of the examples they put there, is 'child benefits.'

I just thought I'd better check; I have a UK-Born daughter who's been going to nursery last year. She's been attending just 12 hours per week, which falls under the hours that you get for free. I tend to think it doesn't, but does anyone know if that counts as 'child benefit'?

Thank you.
Free child care is NOT child benefits.

Child benefits is a very specific benefit you apply for and get paid into your bank account.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Post by Imm2021 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Brilliant.

I wanted to make sure.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

'Immigration Status'

Post by Imm2021 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:52 am

And yet another one: On the list of documents that appears by the end of the application for ILR, there's one that says 'evidence of (the applicant's) immigration status in the UK.'

So... does anyone know what that is? Would the BRP serve for that purpose?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 'Immigration Status'

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:10 am

1. Can you please stop posting ILR queries in the 'Skilled Worker visa' sub forum!!

2. Can you also please stop starting a new topic with every question you have. Keep ALL your ILR questions in ONE topic, this one, now merged!!

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 am

Imm2021 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:52 am
And yet another one: On the list of documents that appears by the end of the application for ILR, there's one that says 'evidence of (the applicant's) immigration status in the UK.'

So... does anyone know what that is? Would the BRP serve for that purpose?

Thank you.
It is the BRP!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Post by Imm2021 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Brilliant.

Thank you!

Imm2021
Mood:
Mexico

Post by Imm2021 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:00 am

Question;

Does anyone know what the 'normal' or average time to receive results for an ILR application is?

Thank you.

Br

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:02 am

See also waiting times.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.