ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Path to permanency

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

snishaad
Newly Registered
India

Path to permanency

Post by snishaad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:23 am

Hi All,

My spouse will be moving to ILR in 5 months. However, I have been in ICT Tier 2 visa for 3 years and have just moved as her dependent. By the time she is eligible for ILR, i would have 3.5 years in the UK.

My understanding is that she will be in ILR and I will get a PBS dependent extension to continue. At what point can i apply for ILR and subsequently a British passport. Will i get my passport when she applies for her passport assuming i complete 5 years in UK by then?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Path to permanency

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:27 am

You need 5 years on PBS dependent visa before you can apply for ilr. Your time on ICT visa doesn't count towards the 5 years.

You need ilr before you can apply for citizenship. You need your citizenship certificate which you get once approved and you have attended your ceremony before you can apply for a passport.

If your spouse is British by the time you get ilr, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you have your ilr brp card provided you meet all the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

snishaad
Newly Registered
India

Post by snishaad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you for the clarification. I am currently on a PBS dependent visa of spouse's Tier 2 General. When she applies for ILR, will i need to apply for an extension of my current PBS dependent visa or will that be a separate dependent visa category? Please note i would have spent around a year as a PBS dependent when she submits her ILR application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Once your spouse gets ilr based on tier 2 general, you must apply to extend your visa before it expiry date. You apply to extend as a skilled worker dependent. It will be a 3 year extension. If you are still short for your own ilr,you will need to apply for another 3 year extsnion.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

snishaad
Newly Registered
India

Post by snishaad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Thank you for your response. I have one final question. It will be great if you can assist with the clarity on this question as well.

My wife's ILR was issued for 5 years in one shot. This means that my current dependent BRP will also expire at the time she is eligible for ILR. Should i wait for her ILR BRP to come through and then apply for extension? Or can i submit my dependent visa application along with ILR application?

There is a chance that her ILR brp might get delayed even if she applies 28 days prior to 5 yrs cut-off and i might not have time to wait for the brp and then apply for my dependent visa extension and hence the request for clarification.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:05 pm

You can apply at the same time. Your application will be held until her ilr is granted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)