ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied for fiancé, received spouse visa / Vignette Error

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jennimma
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Applied for fiancé, received spouse visa / Vignette Error

Post by jennimma » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Hello everyone

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice on below:

Applied for a fiance visa from out of the country in May this year. It was granted within two months.
I didn't receive a decision letter and I wasn't even aware that one should have been included with the passport.

On receiving my passport I saw that I had been issued with a 2.3 year spouse visa vignette. My application was for a 6 months fiancée Visa. I was very curious about this and wondered if the Fiancée Visa was being phased out? I certainly did not think it was a mistake as I didn't think they'll make such an error.

I decided to get more answers once I arrive the UK.

Arrived the UK, IO saw and stamped visa, no issues.

Did some further research here and realised a BRP is necessary for any stay longer than 6months and instructions would have been in the decision letter that I didn't receive.

I Used the gov portal to contact the BRP office wondering where I could receive my BRP from as I didn't want any issues down the line. I received this email below :

Begin Quote
Thank you for your enquiry regarding your permit.
Unfortunately, a vignette for the entirety of your leave to enter the UK was issued in error.
Following recent changes, applicants applying for more than 6 months should be issued with a one-month vignette to enable them to travel to the UK where they will be issued a BRP.
Your details have been forwarded to the appropriate team for resolution.
This does not affect the leave that you have been granted and you will not be subject to any penalties
End Quote.

I was really shocked and needed answers but It said not to respond to that email so I didn't. And two weeks later I got this email from BRP Error email address.

Begin Quote
Unfortunately, when your overseas application for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) was made, your length of leave was incorrectly endorsed on a vignette.
In order to correct this error, we have exceptionally taken steps to reuse biometrics you provided previously. This will avoid the need for you to attend a biometric enrolment centre.
Please respond to this email providing a full UK address.
Upon receipt of your reply, we will then issue you with a BRP.
End Quote.

My questions are, is it possible I will now be given a 6 month BRP for the Fiance visa? Or a 2.3 year BRP for the spouse visa. The initial email said it does not affect the leave I've been granted yet the second one said they have to correct the error.

I have already been using the spouse visa to get a job as the visa says work permitted on it. Would I be penalised for working seeing as the Fiancée Visa doesn permit work but the spousal visa (that's on my passport) that does?

I don't believe they would respond to any of my questions of I emailed back.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!!

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post!!!

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Applied for fiancé, received spouse visa / Vignette Error

Post by TODMATT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:31 am

jennimma wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35 pm
Hello everyone

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice on below:

Applied for a fiance visa from out of the country in May this year. It was granted within two months.
I didn't receive a decision letter and I wasn't even aware that one should have been included with the passport.

On receiving my passport I saw that I had been issued with a 2.3 year spouse visa vignette. My application was for a 6 months fiancée Visa. I was very curious about this and wondered if the Fiancée Visa was being phased out? I certainly did not think it was a mistake as I didn't think they'll make such an error.

I decided to get more answers once I arrive the UK.

Arrived the UK, IO saw and stamped visa, no issues.

Did some further research here and realised a BRP is necessary for any stay longer than 6months and instructions would have been in the decision letter that I didn't receive.

I Used the gov portal to contact the BRP office wondering where I could receive my BRP from as I didn't want any issues down the line. I received this email below :

Begin Quote
Thank you for your enquiry regarding your permit.
Unfortunately, a vignette for the entirety of your leave to enter the UK was issued in error.
Following recent changes, applicants applying for more than 6 months should be issued with a one-month vignette to enable them to travel to the UK where they will be issued a BRP.
Your details have been forwarded to the appropriate team for resolution.
This does not affect the leave that you have been granted and you will not be subject to any penalties
End Quote.

I was really shocked and needed answers but It said not to respond to that email so I didn't. And two weeks later I got this email from BRP Error email address.

Begin Quote
Unfortunately, when your overseas application for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) was made, your length of leave was incorrectly endorsed on a vignette.
In order to correct this error, we have exceptionally taken steps to reuse biometrics you provided previously. This will avoid the need for you to attend a biometric enrolment centre.
Please respond to this email providing a full UK address.
Upon receipt of your reply, we will then issue you with a BRP.
End Quote.

My questions are, is it possible I will now be given a 6 month BRP for the Fiance visa? Or a 2.3 year BRP for the spouse visa. The initial email said it does not affect the leave I've been granted yet the second one said they have to correct the error.

I have already been using the spouse visa to get a job as the visa says work permitted on it. Would I be penalised for working seeing as the Fiancée Visa doesn permit work but the spousal visa (that's on my passport) that does?

I don't believe they would respond to any of my questions of I emailed back.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!!

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post!!!
Are you now married? since you stated you applied for fiancée visa and granted spouse visa instead.

Did you contacted this email EntryClearance.Errors@fco.gov.uk? They will be able to give you an accurate information. Did you paid for IHS when you applied for your fiancée visa application? I won't even work until this issue has been resolved to be on a safer side.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

jennimma
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by jennimma » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 am

Thank you Todmatt

Not yet but the wedding ceremony is scheduled for next month.

There was no requirement for IHS payment while applying for the fiancee visa, the payment was to be made when switching to the spouse visa in the UK.

These were the questions I had on how this would have been paid.

I didn't contact them,was unaware, wondering if I still should.

Noted on work, I agree.

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:42 pm

You should have had the visa vignette recitifed before travelling to the UK.

You cannot work or use the free NHS service until this is resolved, which would have been easier if done before coming to the UK, literally would have taken a couple of weeks at most.

Once married, you need to apply for a spouse visa.

There is no brp card for a 6 month fiance visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jennimma
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by jennimma » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Thanks CR001

I would have had I actually realised this was an error. Everything on the vignette seemed fine, had no clue such an error could be made in the first place.

Oh so no brp card on the fiance route. This is clearer now. I will wait to see what I am sent.

I'll update for continuity.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:02 pm

There is nothing you could receive.

You should have raised this error when you realised a 2.3 year spouse visa was granted instead of a 6 month fiance visa. It was clearly an error as it is not what you had applied for. And yes, these mistakes happen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jennimma
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by jennimma » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm

I was emailed saying I would receive a BRP. Hence my confusion.

I also read on the gov website that if vignette errors are not raised in home country they can be raised within 3 months of arrival into the UK which I believe I did.

Thank you