ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP! University won't register me until further leave to remain granted!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fabz
Newly Registered

HELP! University won't register me until further leave to remain granted!

Post by fabz » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 am

Hi everyone,

My leave to remain expired in June but I applied to renew it in March and waiting for a decision from Home Office.
I'm supposed to start a uni course in September but the university won't register me until my application has been decided.
I informed them that because I made an in time application, my leave is automatically extended under Section 3C of the Immigration Act but they said it is their policy not to register students with pending application unless it is a Student visa application that they sponsor.
Is this right? Are they allowed to do this and what I can I do about it?

manci
Respected Guru

Re: HELP! University won't register me until further leave to remain granted!

Post by manci » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm

fabz wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 am
My leave to remain expired in June but I applied to renew it in March and waiting for a decision from Home Office.
what kind of permission have you applied for?
fabz wrote:
they said it is their policy not to register students with pending application unless it is a Student visa application that they sponsor. Is this right? Are they allowed to do this?
Yes
fabz wrote:
what I can I do about it?
Nothing, wait for your permission.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 pm

manci wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm
fabz wrote:
what kind of permission have you applied for?
Probably an extension of FLR(FP).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

fabz
Newly Registered

Post by fabz » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi, I applied for further leave under private life. So, a FLR FP application.
I was able to continue working and rent a place because I could prove that I applied to renew my leave before it expired. So while my application is pending, my leave continues with the same conditions.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:35 pm

I'm not sure that this is an entirely immigration question and therefore we are probably not the correct forum to guide you on it.
fabz wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 pm
I was able to continue working and rent a place because I could prove that I applied to renew my leave before it expired. So while my application is pending, my leave continues with the same conditions.
As you mention, your leave has been extended under Section 3C while your application is in progress.

However, the university may not be looking at your status on the date of application, but whether you have leave to attend the whole course/year/semester. And that longer-term certainty is not there until a final decision has been taken on your application (by definition).

I would suggest discussing this issue/query with the UKCISA, local Citizens Bureau or the Student Union at your preferred university/ies for more advice.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.