ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for my kid

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ksandy
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Citizenship for my kid

Post by ksandy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:42 am

Hi,

My husband holds an ILR and I hold a wok permit. Our baby is due in next two months and initially the birth was planned in UK. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, baby will be born outside UK and will be coming back in 6 months time. In this scenario, we are confused when the baby will be eligible to get the British citizenship. Can you please help with this?

vinny

Re: Citizenship for my kid

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:40 am

Not yet. They expect overseas born baby to follow your path towards ILR first.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:13 am

If the child is born in the UK, the child will be born a British citizen (because one of the parents has ILR AND the child is born in the UK; both conditions must be met on the date of birth of the child).

If the child is born abroad, the child will follow the same immigration pathway as the second (less-privileged) parent (in this case, you), will need to apply for all the same visas as the second parent and apply for ILR along with the second parent, before applying to register as a British citizen at discretion. That would amount to a cost of several thousand pounds over the next few years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ksandy
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ksandy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. So basically if I understand this correctly, even the other parent also has to get ILR and only then the child is eligible to get the British citizenship? Did I get this right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 pm

ksandy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:24 pm
Thanks for your reply. So basically if I understand this correctly, even the other parent also has to get ILR and only then the child is eligible to get the British citizenship? Did I get this right?
The child born abroad has to follow the same visa and immigration oath as the work permit holder. The child has no entitlement to register as British and can only apply for citizenship once they hold ilr and one parent is also applying for citizenship and the other holds ILR.

The child would be automatically British if born in the UK to a parent who holds ILR
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ksandy
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ksandy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:05 pm

Thanks all for your responses. That really helped us.