ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

180 day limit - special conditions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

taddo12

180 day limit - special conditions

Post by taddo12 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:58 pm

My wife currently lives with me in the UK on a spouse visa (2.5 year) which has recently been extended for another 2.5 years, but currently does not have permanent right to remain.

I understand that the maximum number of days she can leave the UK for is 180, but there may be certain circumstances where this may be allowed to exceed. Does anyone know what these are? Does giving birth abroad count as a such a circumstance?

Thanks very much

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: 180 day limit - special conditions

Post by TODMATT » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm

taddo12 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:58 pm
My wife currently lives with me in the UK on a spouse visa (2.5 year) which has recently been extended for another 2.5 years, but currently does not have permanent right to remain.

I understand that the maximum number of days she can leave the UK for is 180, but there may be certain circumstances where this may be allowed to exceed. Does anyone know what these are? Does giving birth abroad count as a such a circumstance?

Thanks very much
There’s no absent rules for people on family visas however, you must show your intention to live in the UK. Why can’t your wife give birth here in the U.K?
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

taddo12

Post by taddo12 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:41 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm
taddo12 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks very much
There’s no absent rules for people on family visas however, you must show your intention to live in the UK. Why can’t your wife give birth here in the U.K?
Thank you - would this not prevent/affect her permanent residency application when her current 2.5 year visa expires? At this stage just trying to be aware of our options.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:50 pm

taddo12 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:41 pm
Thank you - would this not prevent/affect her permanent residency application when her current 2.5 year visa expires? At this stage just trying to be aware of our options.
No effect on applying for indefinite leave to remain before her visa expires. She will be required to submit 2 years evidence of cohabitation in the UK in both your names.

Even if there was such a 180 days limit, pregnancy/birth abroad is not considered exceptional either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

taddo12

Post by taddo12 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:50 pm
taddo12 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:41 pm
No effect on applying for indefinite leave to remain before her visa expires. She will be required to submit 2 years evidence of cohabitation in the UK in both your names.

Even if there was such a 180 days limit, pregnancy/birth abroad is not considered exceptional either.
Thanks, but if she is required to prove 2 years' cohabitation with me in UK for 2 years, surely this would be impacted if she was abroad for >6 months during this period?

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:34 pm

You need to provide evidence of genuine and subsisting relationship for the time you have spent apart. You have to explain this in a cover letter although the application form will ask for a reason when declaring time spent abroad.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.