ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

More than 90 days because of flight cancellations

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shahmeer75
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

More than 90 days because of flight cancellations

Post by shahmeer75 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:29 am

Hi,

My wife went abroad to meet her parents for supposedly 60 days but the return flight was cancelled due to Covid related operational issues. She booked a subsequent flight twice and both were cancelled. Then she got a flight and came back to the UK after 95 days.

Can she apply for British nationality if it is more than 90 days provided that it was out of our hands to be back in time?

I have flight cancellation emails as a proof.

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: More than 90 days because of flight cancellations

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 am

shahmeer75 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:29 am
Hi,

My wife went abroad to meet her parents for supposedly 60 days but the return flight was cancelled due to Covid related operational issues. She booked a subsequent flight twice and both were cancelled. Then she got a flight and came back to the UK after 95 days.

Can she apply for British nationality if it is more than 90 days provided that it was out of our hands to be back in time?

I have flight cancellation emails as a proof.

Thank you.
Up to 100 days during the prior 12 months are normally disregarded.
Discretion may be exercised for up to 179 days per page 8/9 of the guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
Maybe it's easier just to wait a few months to reduce the number of days absence to around 100.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

shahmeer75
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by shahmeer75 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Excellent, thank you. She was just away for 95 days in the last 12 months i.e. 5 days over than the allowed 90 days. So i believe, it is ok to apply now.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:11 pm

shahmeer75 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 pm
Excellent, thank you. She was just away for 95 days in the last 12 months i.e. 5 days over than the allowed 90 days. So i believe, it is ok to apply now.

how did it go ? did she apply with 95 days absences in the final 12 months

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:51 pm

magicsign wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:11 pm
shahmeer75 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 pm

how did it go ? did she apply with 95 days absences in the final 12 months
I doubt the OP would have had a decision in a couple of months, going by reported timelines.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:34 pm

Thanks, keeping another question in the same topic because they are quite similar so I don't create a new one.

If we are over 90 but below 100 absences in the final year is it advisable to answer yes on the following question (and explaining this was due to covid restrictions) :

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?

Thanks