ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information Please

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bob24
Newly Registered

Information Please

Post by bob24 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi,

I'm just trying to look for some information. I want to come to work in the UK, however since I am an American citizen(and not eligible for bunac since I am two years out of college) it looks like it would be next to impossible for me to obtain employment or a work permit. The problem is I only have an undergraduate degree, and everyone and their brother seems to have one of those these days. I was wondering however, since my grandmother is German(but she has been in america for fifty years) Would I be able to obtain a secondary passport in germany? And since Germany and the UK are part of the Union wouldn't a german passport let me work legally in the Uk for a couple of months? If anybody could help out with some information I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 4:38 pm

Its best to contact your nearest German consulate to determine whether you are eligible for German Citizenship and thus a German passport which would facilitate your employment and residence in the UK. AFAIK Germany is one of the few countries that grants citizenship to all those who are descendents of people with German citizenship i.e. jus sanguins policy. I also undertand that this may be without a limit on generations although this may have changed. I will relocate this post to the European forum after you confirm receiving my response - you may be able to get a more definitive answer there.

bob24
Newly Registered

thanks for your help!

Post by bob24 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:35 pm

Hi Kayalami,
I appreciate your help. I have been trying to contact the german consulate here...........they keep odd hours. Anyways, thanks for helping and if you can put the post in the main european forum i would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Quantum
Newly Registered

Post by Quantum » Wed May 11, 2005 5:56 pm

Kayalami wrote:AFAIK Germany is one of the few countries that grants citizenship to all those who are descendents of people with German citizenship i.e. jus sanguins policy. I also undertand that this may be without a limit on generations although this may have changed.
Has anyone learned more about this yet?

Quantum
Newly Registered

Post by Quantum » Thu May 12, 2005 4:34 pm

Quantum wrote: In researching the possibility of German citizenship, I understand that
there is a protocol under the jus sanguins doctrine. Most of my ancestry is
German, and I am interested in applying for citizenship.

Can you please advise as to the best way forward?
German Consulate, Houston wrote:German citizenship is derived directly from a German father if you were
born before 1975 and/or a German mother thereafter.

For further questions feel free to call 713-985-3383
Quantum wrote:Thank you.

I will research it some more, but I have it on reliable authority that jus sanguins applies to ancestry further back.