ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difference between Spouse visa and Family visa & Child first passport question.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Spouse Visa help please..

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 am

Dear all,

I really would appreciate some help, I'm extremely confused and stressed..

I don't want to bore people with my life details, but if possible I would like to explain.

I'm white British and was born in the UK in Kent, my parents are both British. in 2018 I moved to Japan to be with my wife ( Who is Japanese ).

We have 2 kids, one is 3 years old and the other is 2 years old.

We are now wanting to move back to the UK. Recently I applied for many jobs and I was offered a position which is only a 1-year contract though, although the organization ( Which is the local council ) has said the position may well be extended or made permanent, but not guaranteed.

My First question ( Which is not spouse-related, sorry ) Both my children were born in Japan, but are automatically British as Myself ( The father is British ) so I will apply for their First UK passports once we are in the UK. I'm guessing this is ok as they are British citizens based on my research on the UK GOV website.

As for my wife, I have to apply for a spouse visa for her... and this cannot be done if she is in the UK on visitor status.

We have been married for 4 years...

The idea I have is I will start my new job in December ( Yes Christmas without my family will be hard ) and I will be living back with my parents until I can sort out a house for my family to live in...in the meantime, my wife will stay in Japan with our kids..

The thing I'm worried about is...it mentions that you need to provide 6 months of wage slips as financial proof.. Does that mean I would need to work in the UK for 6 months before I could even apply for the spouse visa? If so 6 months away from my family will be so hard for us.

also, the fact I have just a 1-year contract, is that negative for me when I apply for my spouse visa? Would I be better offer looking for other jobs with a permanent contract instead and turn that job down? I have not signed the contract yet for the job.

My wife currently works in Japan and I do too..between us we have a lot of savings..so can we show proof together of this instead of waiting 6 months to show my wage slips?

I appreciate there are many questions from many people on this matter..but the Spouse visa fee is very high and I don't want to mess things up and get rejected...

Please could I ask for some advice on this matter.. I would appreciate it so much.

My poor little boy keeps hearing that daddy is going to England he wants to come with me..I wish there was a simpler way to sort these problems out...unfortunately, It's gonna be hard, I understand that.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jimmy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Visa help please..

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:30 am

How much savings do you have and how long has it been held in an accessible account?

If your children don't have British passports yet, how will you facilitate their entry to the UK?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am

Between my wife and I, we have about £55000

I presumed they could come over as visitors and then I can apply for their first British passport? or should I apply whilst there in Japan?

There automatical British based on what I read on the GOV UK website

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:47 am

Sorry forgot to say It'd been in our accounts for around 4 years now

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 am

For a spouse visa you need savings of £62,500 minimum held for a minimum of 6 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:34 am

Thank you very much for your help..

so savings is not possible...

so with my new job offer, I would have to work for 6 months or more before applying for my wife's spouse visa? is that correct?

And any idea about the 1-year contract thing..will that be a bad thing for my spouse application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:39 am

Your type of contract is irrelevant.

If your overseas earning meet the requirements of £18,600pa (only yours not your wife's) AND you have a confirmed job in the UK to start within 3 months meeting the same financial requirement, then you could apply and travel together.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:50 am

Thank you for confirming,

I started my own business in Japan and It's been about 10 months only..so I guess it does not meet £18,600pa

In that case, my best choice ( If the Job contract is of no relevance ) I will go back to the UK by myself and work for over 6 months, then apply for my wife's visa and my kids' British passports. that's all I can do. My only option I guess...

I'm I correct?

thank you by the way for your time and help

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Difference between Spouse visa and Family visa & Child first passport question.

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 am

Dear All,

I have been reading up on Gov UK, but I have a few questions...

I'm British but have been living in Japan for the last 4 years with my Japanese wife. We also have 2 kids who were born in Japan and I have been married 4 years now.

I will be returning to England at the end of November and I will be applying for a spouse visa for my wife after 6 months of working in England. But I have a question, what is the difference between a spouse visa and a Family visa, and which one should I be applying for?

My kids also only have a Japanese passport, so I will be looking to apply for a child's first passport, should I be applying for that now or when I'm back in the UK?

Thank you for any help.

Jimmy

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Difference between Spouse visa and Family visa & Child first passport question.

Post by TODMATT » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 am

Spouse visa falls under family based applications.

I would think it is better to apply for your children passport first before travelling but that would also depend on how long the processing will take.

Are you born in the UK, naturalised & adopted or abroad?
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Difference between Spouse visa and Family visa & Child first passport question.

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:46 am

Topics merged!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 am

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 am

I would think it is better to apply for your children passport first before travelling but that would also depend on how long the processing will take.

Are you born in the UK, naturalised & adopted or abroad? OP stated in first post born British and both parents British.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 am

Thank you for your help!!

Myself, the father I was born in Kent, england. My parents are british.

My wife is Japanese and my 2 children were born in Japan. But based on the guidelines, they are automaticaly british.

I could apply for there passports now from Japan..but I'm leaving Japan around end of November..so might it be better for me to apply when I'm back in the UK?

As for my wifes visa..I cannot do that until I have worked in the UK for 6 months ...It's gonna be hard to be separated my from my family..but there is no other way I think

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 am
TODMATT wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 am

Are you born in the UK, naturalised & adopted or abroad? OP stated in first post born British and both parents British.
User Todmatt would not have seen that as they posted before I merged the topics!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 pm

jkrobs wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 am
Thank you for your help!!

Myself, the father I was born in Kent, england. My parents are british.

My wife is Japanese and my 2 children were born in Japan. But based on the guidelines, they are automaticaly british.

I could apply for there passports now from Japan..but I'm leaving Japan around end of November..so might it be better for me to apply when I'm back in the UK?

As for my wifes visa..I cannot do that until I have worked in the UK for 6 months ...It's gonna be hard to be separated my from my family..but there is no other way I think
You can apply for their passport from abroad anytime and since you are going to work for 6 months to meet the financial requirement, it is better you do the passport within that time. You don’t have to be physically abroad before you can apply for the passport whilst I understood separating yourself from your family is hard, you should also consider the big picture since the purpose of all these is to reunite together.

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Post by mavaas11 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 pm

jkrobs wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am
Between my wife and I, we have about £55000

I presumed they could come over as visitors and then I can apply for their first British passport? or should I apply whilst there in Japan?

There automatical British based on what I read on the GOV UK website
Hi Buddy,

I done my first spouse visa using adequate maintenance and savings.

(Amount of cash savings – £16,000) ÷ (the period of the grant of leave: 2.75 years/ 143 weeks entry clearance) = must equal at least £18,600

As you have £55,000 in savings you can combine with salary income which should make it easier.

£55,000 - £16,000 = £39,000
£39,000 / 2.75 = £14,181

£18,600 - £14,181 = £4,418

So you need £4,418 of salary per annum, with £55,000 savings

with payslips and bank statements needed for 6 month prior to date of application, and last statement and payslips within 28 days of submitting online application.

For savings you would need £55,000 or less or more savings = the lowest amount 6 month prior to application within 28 days of submitting application. With bank statement and the lowest amount considered. You would need to declare source of savings, i.e. life savings, employment with description.

or else £18,600 employment with employer letter, contract etc.

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 pm

Thank you all so much for your help with this,

I Understand now much better.

I'm going to apply for my kid's passport asap, by this weekend. need to take their pictures.

sorry I still have 1 question....which visa should I apply for? Spouse or family visa? What's the difference?

is spouse if you don't have kids? and family if you do?

sorry, can someone clarify? thank you

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:21 am

jkrobs wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 pm
Thank you all so much for your help with this,

I Understand now much better.

I'm going to apply for my kid's passport asap, by this weekend. need to take their pictures.

sorry I still have 1 question....which visa should I apply for? Spouse or family visa? What's the difference?

is spouse if you don't have kids? and family if you do?

sorry, can someone clarify? thank you
Spouse visa is under or a type or branch under the family visa tree as classified by HO/UKVI. The difference goes beyond whether being with kids or not.. See below link

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

jkrobs
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jkrobs » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:10 am

Thank you very much...I read that page before, but could not understand...

but anyway I will apply for a spouse visa after 6 months. thanks again, everyone.

Life is an interesting place!

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:43 am

Family visas: apply, extend or switch
Skip to contents of guide
Contents
Overview
Apply as a partner or spouse
Apply as a parent
Apply as a child
Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative
Apply on the basis of your private life
Knowledge of English
Give proof of your income
Information you must provide
After you apply