ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony and Passport application outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gpranna
Newly Registered

Citizenship ceremony and Passport application outside UK

Post by gpranna » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi All
Have a bit of a complex question and would request guidance on this.
My family includes my wife, and our daughter born in the UK.
In July 2021, through 10 year route, myself & wife got our ILRs, but my daughter (born in UK) is still under her Dependent visa (from my old ICT valid visa) expiring on Jan 2022.

Now, last month, I applied for my daughter's naturalisation (via MN1 application) and I understand I will need to wait for 6 months for that process to complete, and then after that apply for british passport.

In this scenario, my wife and daughter will need to go back to India next month and stay there for 6 months.

My question now is, given my daughter's ICT dependent visa will expire in Jan 2022:
- will she be able to do her citizenship ceremony from India (without valid visa but with her naturalisation certificate)?
- will she be able to apply for British passport from India (without valid visa but after ceremony completion).

Requesting your advice on this please.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship ceremony and Passport application outside UK

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:32 pm

- will she be able to do her citizenship ceremony from India (without valid visa but with her naturalisation certificate)?
Children under 18 do NOT attend ceremonies. Only adults do. Her visa status is irrelevant to her citizenship application or her being abroad.
- will she be able to apply for British passport from India (without valid visa but after ceremony completion).
There is NO ceremony. Yes, a passport can take up to a year though from abroad. Her visa status while abroad is irrelevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

irish_sunset
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by irish_sunset » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:37 pm

if you apply for your first adult passport abroad, HMPO will notify the home office and there might be a potential review of your naturalisation application.
This is to review if you intend to make UK your permanent home - a condition of naturalisation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:40 pm

irish_sunset wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:37 pm
if you apply for your first adult passport abroad, HMPO will notify the home office and there might be a potential review of your naturalisation application.
This is to review if you intend to make UK your permanent home - a condition of naturalisation.
The OP has very clearly stated that it a UK born child's citizenship application!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gpranna
Newly Registered

Post by gpranna » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 am

Thank you CR001. Very helpful... :)

gpranna
Newly Registered

Post by gpranna » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:19 am

Thank you..
A related question.

As it will take upto a year to get British passport outside UK, and it only takes less than a month if done within UK and you don't need to be in person), I am thinking may be I will apply in UK and get her passport (while my daughter (7yrs) is in India)., and travel to India and give it to her..

My question is:
Can she use that new British passport to leave India (for first time) and then use the same while arriving in UK?..