ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport name differences

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bgsbgs
United Kingdom

Passport name differences

Post by Bgsbgs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:00 pm

My wife is applying for her first British passport.

She has two existing passports, one issued by country A, and one issued by country B. The spelling of her surname is slightly different on passport A with one letter being different (due to different transliteration conventions from Cyrillic). Her BRP and pretty much everything else uses spelling B.

Will this be an issue?

A further detail is that country A does not allow dual citizenship with the U.K. so it will lapse anyway.

Bgsbgs
United Kingdom

Place of birth on naturalisation certificate

Post by Bgsbgs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:28 pm

My wife received a letter saying her citizenship has been approved.

We were surprised at the spelling used for the place of birth on the letter. It uses the Belarusian spelling of the place instead of the Russian one. (Note that Russian is an official language of Belarus and her passport includes both spellings in Cyrillic, and neither is translated in English). Her BRP has the Russian spelling.

How easy is this to change?

Bgsbgs
United Kingdom

Re: Passport name differences

Post by Bgsbgs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:28 pm

Bgsbgs wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:00 pm
My wife is applying for her first British passport.

She has two existing passports, one issued by country A, and one issued by country B. The spelling of her surname is slightly different on passport A with one letter being different (due to different transliteration conventions from Cyrillic). Her BRP and pretty much everything else uses spelling B.

Will this be an issue?

I found this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uments.pdf

If I understand correctly, then she needs to request country A aligns the spelling of her name on their passport. If she can show the change is in progress, then the passport office will be satisfied.

Does that sound right?