ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First british passport application - submission of existing passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2

First british passport application - submission of existing passport

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Help please,

I have my naturalisation ceremony next week and I intend to apply for a British Passport right away. I have seen that there is a requirement to submit my original existing passport as part of the application. I can also see that processing time can be up to a month. I work in the Oil & Gas and need my passport to travel offshore so I can’t afford not to have my passport for that long. Is there a way around this please?

Re: First british passport application - submission of existing passport

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:53 am

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm
Help please,

I have my naturalisation ceremony next week and I intend to apply for a British Passport right away. I have seen that there is a requirement to submit my original existing passport as part of the application. I can also see that processing time can be up to a month. I work in the Oil & Gas and need my passport to travel offshore so I can’t afford not to have my passport for that long. Is there a way around this please?
Help please,

Is there any way to get supporting documents back early (I need my existing passport for work)

Ben1989
United States of America

Post by Ben1989 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:15 am

Well, if you need a passport then you cannot apply for your British passport as realistically they quote 6-8 weeks.

Can you delay your ceremony within the required 3 months? Then you won't need to apply for a British passport and you'll still have your BRP.

Bgsbgs
United Kingdom

Post by Bgsbgs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 am

I just spoke to the passport office on the same the topic and the person I spoke to said the applicant can ask for their existing passport to be returned early (ie not have to wait until the U.K. passport application is processed).

He also said the applicant can use their naturalisation certificate to re-enter the U.K.

From what I have read I am pretty sceptical that this is true (especially about airlines accepting the naturalisation certificate as proof of right to live in the U.K.), but others on here may know better.

George111
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by George111 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:24 pm

from personal experience - if you have a non-visa passport (you don't need visa to enter the UK) you can travel with your foreign passport and a naturalization certificate without a problem. Just need to make it known to the border agent. I've done it 3-4 times this summer while waiting for a good window without travel to apply for a British passport.

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks very much. It's not really travelling out of the UK for me, it's the North Sea and no checks coming back on land, however, I still need to be in possession of my passport as I could end up in another country from offshore.

I received my certificate yesterday and have already applied for the passport and done the confirm identity part, I now need to send my documents in. There are two options I am considering as they've asked for all my previous passports, valid or cancelled and certificate on Naturalisation.

Option1

Send all previous passports and a copy of all pages of my current passport

Option2

Send all passports including current one in 3 weeks time when I'll have 10days off work (hoping that I can send and receive my docs back in that 10days.

Awaiting British Passport

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:55 am

So I have just received a call for a job outside the country that requires me to travel on 29th of November.

I have already returned my ILR BRP card and I have applied for British Passport (22nd of last month). Last Wednesday, they requested for a new passport photograph which I uploaded the same day. Even if it were possible to return to the UK with my certificate of naturalisation, I do not have it with me, has anyone got any idea how I can go around this if I travel on the 29th? Any chance I could speed up BP to get it next week? I would imagine it's in the final stages of processing since they've asked for new passport photograph.

Thanks very much