ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied early ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Conansenshe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applied early ?

Post by Conansenshe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:15 am

Hi I've a question.

I came to the UK on 29/10/2016

I've been granted ILR on 5/10/2021 ( spouse visa 5 years route)

Obviously I've got my ILR earlier then 5 years

I've applied for British citizenship and had my bio appointment on the 11/10/2021 as I'm married to British citizen

My question is have I applied early ? Did I have to wait until 29/10/2021 to apply as I arrived to the UK on same date 2016 ?

I've read somewhere that I've to be in the uk for 3 year to apply for British citizenship but elsewhere says you can't apply unless you've been in the uk for 5 full year.

Can someone clarify this please

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bash_
Syria

Re: Applied early ?

Post by Bash_ » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:22 am

if you are applying as a spouse of British citizen then the residency requirement is 3 Years from the date of application.

Ben1989
United States of America

Post by Ben1989 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:34 am

As Bash said. Everything is three years for a spouse route.

For instance, you would have had to have been present in the country three years prior to application rather than the 'usual' five.

Conansenshe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Conansenshe » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks everyone for their reply, I appreciate it 🙏🏽

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:52 am

Conansenshe wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:15 am
but elsewhere says you can't apply unless you've been in the uk for 5 full year.
That’s because the spouse of a British citizen also requires ILR. The qualifying period for a spouse’s ILR under the family route had increased to 5 years.

See also Can spouses of British citizens naturalise after just three years’ residence in the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.