ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mitra_krishna
India

Citizenship and work

Post by mitra_krishna » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Dear esteemed members,

I have ILR issued this January (2021) through the 10 year route. I am working for a Irish University (Republic of Ireland). They allowed me to work remotely as I requested them that I am due for Citizenship in January 2022. I was wondering whether me working for Ireland will impact my Citizenship application here. Would be very grateful for your guidance.

Kind regards,
Mitra

mitra_krishna
India

Re: Citizenship and work

Post by mitra_krishna » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm

The reason for asking the question is I am getting a job offer in the UK, and need to send my decision. I find myself ethically responsible to the Irish University, as they had agreed that I can work remotely, also I enjoy the job there.
mitra_krishna wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:23 pm
Dear esteemed members,

I have ILR issued this January (2021) through the 10 year route. I am working for a Irish University (Republic of Ireland). They allowed me to work remotely as I requested them that I am due for Citizenship in January 2022. I was wondering whether me working for Ireland will impact my Citizenship application here. Would be very grateful for your guidance.

Kind regards,
Mitra

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Employment (whether for UK or foreign employers) is not a pre-requisite for naturalisation. Homemakers, Students, Retired and Unemployed can apply as long as they satisfy the requirements. I don't see why your arrangement should be an issue. Presumably you are resident in the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mitra_krishna
India

Post by mitra_krishna » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:37 pm

Many thanks alterhase58. I am residing in the UK and not travelled anywhere. I was worried as not being able to apply for citizenship would have let me accept the job offer here. Thanks again.
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:54 pm
Employment (whether for UK or foreign employers) is not a pre-requisite for naturalisation. Homemakers, Students, Retired and Unemployed can apply as long as they satisfy the requirements. I don't see why your arrangement should be an issue. Presumably you are resident in the UK.

mitra_krishna
India

Post by mitra_krishna » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:37 am

Dear alterhase58, in the application form, they ask a question on current and previous 10 years of employment. Am wondering whether Brexit could effect or has effected the relationship (or new rules have come in) with Republic of Ireland and that the current employment could be an issue.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 am

mitra_krishna wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:37 am
Dear alterhase58, in the application form, they ask a question on current and previous 10 years of employment. Am wondering whether Brexit could effect or has effected the relationship (or new rules have come in) with Republic of Ireland and that the current employment could be an issue.
Not aware there's anything in the Brexit agreements (what little there is) that impacts employment directly, whether for foreign employers based in the UK or in the EU. I think you are over-thinking, unless anyone else can add to this, or there are sources that cause you concern - please share.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mitra_krishna
India

Post by mitra_krishna » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Dear alterhase58, Prone to overthinking :-). Spot on. Thanks a million.
alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 am
mitra_krishna wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:37 am
Not aware there's anything in the Brexit agreements (what little there is) that impacts employment directly, whether for foreign employers based in the UK or in the EU. I think you are over-thinking, unless anyone else can add to this, or there are sources that cause you concern - please share.

mitra_krishna
India

When to apply query

Post by mitra_krishna » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:59 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:56 pm
You could apply on 20. September, but if there's a delay then apply on/after 28th.
Personally I would avoid any complications and apply when there is no risk of dates clashing - a few days extra is worth it.
Reading the posts here, I have a feeling that the rules have become stricter. My questions follow the set-up where I mention what is the question.

"You can apply for citizenship if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years and have had one of the following for 12 months - indefinite leave to remain in the UK
‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)"

"To apply for citizenship with ILR you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting it"

I got my ILR granted on 31 January 2021 (this is via the 10 year route). For most visas that I came across, there was a criteria of being eligible to apply 28 days before the X years are over, but it does not seem to be applicable for citizenship with ILR. We can apply for citizenship only after 12 months after being granted the ILR. Question: Am I correct? If my understanding is correct, this means I can apply for citizenship only on 1 Feb 2022.

It is said that to apply for citizenship one is allowed 90 days of travel within one year period outside the UK in the last 12 months after an ILR is granted

You must have been physically present in the UK exactly 5 years before the Home Office receives your application. Question 2: Does this mean one is not also allowed to travel for 5 years outside the UK? If that is the case, how does the 90 days of allowed travel within a year and 450 days within a period of 5 years is taken into account. Questions 3 and 4 follow the same line of thought.

Question 3: If I travel from 15 November 2021 to 15 Dec 2021 outside the UK (this is well within the 90 day limit of 12 months after getting an ILR), when do I become eligible to apply for citizenship?

Question 4: My last travel outside the UK was from 15 Sep to 12 October 2019 while holding TIER 2 visa and before I was granted the ILR via 10 year route (ILR granted on 31 Jan 2021). Do I become eligible only by *October 2024* (pardon my misinterpretation, if any).

Many thanks in advance for your guidance and responses.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When to apply query

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Do not tag your questions inyo other mmebers topics. Post split and merged with your previous topic.
Reading the posts here, I have a feeling that the rules have become stricter.
There has been no change to the citizenship rules.

There is no applying 28 days early concession for citizenship.

The physically ptesetn rule does NOT mean you cannoy travel outside the uk for 5 yrars. Your ate misintrepreting the rules completely. The absence limits are published and been the same for many years. You cannot have more than 450 days absence in the 5 years immediayely preceding the date if apllication AND no more than 90 days absence in the 12 months immediately preceding the date if application.

3 and 4 you are misreading or misunderstanding the requirements. Nowhere does it say if you travel it pushes your qualifying period to a future date.

Your route ton ilr is also irrelevant here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mitra_krishna
India

Re: When to apply query

Post by mitra_krishna » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Many thanks CR001 for the prompt response. I did feel that there is a major misunderstanding somewhere.