ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First passport post naturalisation - URGENT

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shady87
Nigeria

First passport post naturalisation - URGENT

Post by shady87 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 pm

My ceremony is in 2 days and I’ll be unable to apply for a passport after because of a bereavement and I have to fly so won’t be able to submit my current passport;

- can I submit an expired passport?
- is there an urgent passport service I can use?
- what happens if I don’t apply for a passport and do it on my return?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: First passport post naturalisation - URGENT

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm

You have to submit all uncancelled passports, an expired passport is not a canceled passport unless it has had its corners cut and the passport is stamped cancelled.
No there is not.
You are required to return your ILR BRP card within 5 days after your ceremony. Why not postpone your ceremony till you return?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm

shady87 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 pm
My ceremony is in 2 days and I’ll be unable to apply for a passport after because of a bereavement and I have to fly so won’t be able to submit my current passport;

I believe CR001 has answered your specific questions.

You might find the link below helpful as to why they request for uncancelled passports to be sent in

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... e.pdf.html

I had my ceremony last Thursday and applied for British passport on Friday. Today, I sent my documents but I did not include my current Nigerian passport, I instead submitted copies of all pages and included the already expired ones. They may well come back and say they still want me to send it, but I believe I fall under the ''exceptional circumstances'' (see link above) as I need my passport 247 for work. I included a note and some documents to explain why I can't let go of my passport for 8 weeks.

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:27 pm

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm
shady87 wrote:

You might find the link below helpful as to why they request for uncancelled passports to be sent in

I had my ceremony last Thursday and applied for British passport on Friday. Today, I sent my documents but I did not include my current Nigerian passport, I instead submitted copies of all pages and included the already expired ones. They may well come back and say they still want me to send it, but I believe I fall under the ''exceptional circumstances'' (see link above) as I need my passport 247 for work. I included a note and some documents to explain why I can't let go of my passport for 8 weeks.
Thanks for the pointers — I’ll give that a go too - fact is the naturalisation is already done based on fulfilling tons of requirements and a lengthy wait time of 6 months. At this point I’m not worried about the ILR fine of £1,000 as I’ll need that to get back into the country.

I’ll get it certified at a law firm and send the original expired/cancelled ones

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:25 pm

shady87 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:27 pm
shady87 wrote:

Thanks for the pointers — I’ll give that a go too - fact is the naturalisation is already done based on fulfilling tons of requirements and a lengthy wait time of 6 months. At this point I’m not worried about the ILR fine of £1,000 as I’ll need that to get back into the country.

I’ll get it certified at a law firm and send the original expired/cancelled ones
Just to let you know photocopies of my current Nigeria passport worked (I just signed and dated every page myself). British passport has been approved. I included a letter explaining that my work requires me to have a passport 24/7...also included a document to back that up.

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:25 pm
shady87 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:27 pm
shady87 wrote:

Just to let you know photocopies of my current Nigeria passport worked (I just signed and dated every page myself). British passport has been approved. I included a letter explaining that my work requires me to have a passport 24/7...also included a document to back that up.
Thanks for the update and BIG congrats.
I went ahead and did similar with photocopies and solicitor certified copy also and letter explaining why I didn’t include it.

Fingers crossed it gets approved.