ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with IRO card that will expire during trip

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CatBrom
Canada

Travelling with IRO card that will expire during trip

Post by CatBrom » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Hello all,

I recently sent in a change of stamps from Stamp 2 to Stamp 1G on 29 September. I believe at the time the processing times were stated to be 3-4 weeks. I have heard that for right now it’s 5-6 weeks (anecdotally) but their website says 7-8 working weeks. I am very stressed out that my IRP card won’t come by the time I go on my trip as my card expires 31 December. I’m not sure if they will let me back into Ireland with an expired IRP card even if I can show them it’s been renewed etc. Does anyone know what I can do? I’ve sent INIS a few emails but no reply (not surprised).

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Travelling with IRO card that will expire during trip

Post by littlerr » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:04 pm

When are you travelling abroad and when are you coming back?

Permissions are automatically extended to 15 January. You are from a visa-free country so you can travel back to Ireland with the expired IRP card as long as you are back before 15 January.

However, one thing to note is that once they process your new IRP card, your old card becomes immediately invalid. Again, it shouldn’t be an issue for you as you don’t need a visa anyway to come back to Ireland, however, you should still make sure that you are prepared to answer any questions from the immigration (e.g. why your permission in the system is different from the card you hold; why do you travel abroad with an expired card etc). They won’t give you a hard time but you still need to be prepared and have any documentary proof ready if necessary.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:58 am

I will be back after January 15th unfortunately, so I won't be able to avail of the extension. Currently, I am thinking if I don't get it in time that my partner will have to mail me my card as I am very concerned they won't let me back in the country otherwise.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 pm

As an update: I got the email for my IRP card today so I have about month now until I leave. Took only 5 weeks but some people’s applications took closer to 7 it sounds like. Unsure if they are trying to go faster now or if my two emails that I sent helped the process along.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 pm

A straightforward online renewal should take no more than that amount of time. Hopefully the card will arrive before you leave.