ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Fbrlad
Aruba

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fbrlad » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 am

Brent28 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:32 pm
Well folks, the proverbial confirmation of address email has arrived. Its been a ride, but it looks like we are finally nearing the end.

14 June 2019 - Online application submitted
23 August 2019 - Documents received
22 October 2021 - Address Confirmation email (Team 2)

:D
Congrats - any update afterwards? 3 months since my confirmation and no update whatsoever on my side

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm

They will expedite your application due to the pregnancy. How quickly depends on personal circumstances. Contact the passport office through webchat and have you application details on hand. They will advise next steps.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/
[/quote]

Thank you! Something tells me I might have trouble getting through... I'll do my best to ask them though!

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:41 pm

I've just realised my mother's passport has now expired and of course that's the certified copy I have. Do you think this will prove an issue or is it worth getting her a new one and certifying a copy of that? Thanks for your help. I'm really glad I found this board.

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:37 pm

mari1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:41 pm
I've just realised my mother's passport has now expired and of course that's the certified copy I have. Do you think this will prove an issue or is it worth getting her a new one and certifying a copy of that? Thanks for your help. I'm really glad I found this board.
Does she have a valid driving licence or any other state issued photo ID? If so, you wouldn't need to use a passport at all and could submit a witnessed copy of that instead.

Going by your post history I'm guessing driving licence would be your only other option. If you haven't already posted your documents, it should be an easy swap. If they are already on their way to Ireland, or already sat with the DFA, the best thing to do is wait until they contact you for additional information. Considering the UK is saying that passports can take up to 10 weeks at the moment, I'd say your best bet is to provide a licence rather than passport.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks. Sadly she doesn’t drive so the passport is all the official ID she has. Haven’t sent the docs yet so if they definitely won’t accept a recently expired (May 2021) certified copy of a passport then it looks like I’ll have to get hers renewed.

They really should specify that the passport should have at least two years on it before expiry because technically that seems to be how long this process can take. It would save people from having to resubmit docs mid-process and hold up the queue.

Jojo1904
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Jojo1904 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am

mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 am
Thanks. Sadly she doesn’t drive so the passport is all the official ID she has. Haven’t sent the docs yet so if they definitely won’t accept a recently expired (May 2021) certified copy of a passport then it looks like I’ll have to get hers renewed.

They really should specify that the passport should have at least two years on it before expiry because technically that seems to be how long this process can take. It would save people from having to resubmit docs mid-process and hold up the queue.
The passport issue is a worry for me too. I applied and submitted everything in January 2020 and my mother only had a long expired passport, she doesn’t drive so no licence. I was told by the office last year to get a doctors letter stating that she was a patient and would not be looking to renew her passport as she doesn’t travel anymore. I did that and sent that with the application and since I’ve heard nothing I’m hoping when they get around to looking at my application that it will be accepted. After almost 2 years of waiting I don’t want any more delays!

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:39 am

Jojo1904 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am
mari1234 wrote:

The passport issue is a worry for me too. I applied and submitted everything in January 2020 and my mother only had a long expired passport, she doesn’t drive so no licence. I was told by the office last year to get a doctors letter stating that she was a patient and would not be looking to renew her passport as she doesn’t travel anymore. I did that and sent that with the application and since I’ve heard nothing I’m hoping when they get around to looking at my application that it will be accepted. After almost 2 years of waiting I don’t want any more delays!
You both raise an interesting point regarding the expiry of ID documentation. The FBR website simply mentions current ID, which I take to mean 'current at the point of application'. However, it seems prudent for anyone who has applied online but not yet sent in their supporting documentation to ensure that the ID copies (or equivalent e.g. doctor's letter) are current when the paperwork is eventually posted.

It would provide clarity if there's anyone still on the forum who has gone all the way though the FBR process and can comment on ID expiry, if there were asked to re-provide new ID copies that had expired between initial application and the point at which their FBR application was processed.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 am

MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:39 am
Jojo1904 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am
mari1234 wrote:

You both raise an interesting point regarding the expiry of ID documentation. The FBR website simply mentions current ID, which I take to mean 'current at the point of application'. However, it seems prudent for anyone who has applied online but not yet sent in their supporting documentation to ensure that the ID copies (or equivalent e.g. doctor's letter) are current when the paperwork is eventually posted.

It would provide clarity if there's anyone still on the forum who has gone all the way though the FBR process and can comment on ID expiry, if there were asked to re-provide new ID copies that had expired between initial application and the point at which their FBR application was processed.
Thank you! I'm thinking that Covid and Brexit and the delays caused by both have made it much more of an issue for some. I'm time-pressed now thanks to the pregnancy but it seems like the smartest thing is to get the renewal sorted, certify the new one, AND send the old certified copy just in case. I can't afford delays once the process has properly begun for me.

I trust that if I submitted online in March, and haven't yet sent docs because they've asked us not to, that I'm in the queue right? I just have to send everything the moment we're allowed.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
It would provide clarity if there's anyone still on the forum who has gone all the way though the FBR process and can comment on ID expiry
Although this wasn't an issue for me during my application, I remember seeing this issue raised several times on this forum back then. These led to responses from people confirming that their expired documents (e.g. driving licenses out of date, or utility bills which no longer fell within the required date range) hadn't caused a problem, providing they were in-date at the time they were submitted. Unfortunately, because this thread is such a monster, it would take forever to go back through and locate these posts, and I haven't been able to find them via a Google search.

However, I think people can relax: your assumption that any document date/currency requirements mean 'at the time of application' must be correct. Otherwise the DFA would face a bureaucratic nightmare with the majority of submitted utility bills etc. no longer meeting the date requirements, although they did back in 2019 when the applications were submitted.

SLwlss
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SLwlss » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:47 pm

My wife finally received her confirmation of address email today after 2 years and 9 days, interestingly they also tried to call her but she wasn't able to answer:

Application submitted online: 10/10/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 18/10/2019
Confirmation of address email: 27/10/2021
Congrats email:
FBR certificate received:

derekkn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by derekkn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:56 pm

derekkn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm
Docs received in Balbriggan: 21 Nov 2019
Request for partial document resubmission: 14 Oct 2021
Confirmation: pending

Good to finally hear something after nearly two years' radio silence!
Confirmation: 27 October 2021

So just under two years! What a relief. I'm still awaiting the certificate but that's the fiddliest task out of the way now, and I know the passport application won't be anywhere near as nail-biting as the FBR entry. Phew! Good luck to everyone still waiting.

derekkn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by derekkn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm

derekkn wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:56 pm
derekkn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm
Docs received in Balbriggan: 21 Nov 2019
Request for partial document resubmission: 14 Oct 2021
Confirmation: pending

Good to finally hear something after nearly two years' radio silence!
Confirmation: 27 October 2021

So just under two years! What a relief. I'm still awaiting the certificate but that's the fiddliest task out of the way now, and I know the passport application won't be anywhere near as nail-biting as the FBR entry. Phew! Good luck to everyone still waiting.
sorry I actually meant Congratulations: 27 October 2021

Messy copying and pasting on my part...

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 pm

mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 am

I trust that if I submitted online in March, and haven't yet sent docs because they've asked us not to, that I'm in the queue right? I just have to send everything the moment we're allowed.
It is my understanding that no you aren't in the queue as your documents must be received by the DFA for you to be placed in the queue. On this thread we definitely count time elapsed from date of documents received in Balbriggan not date of application. The DFA's website also states,

"Applications that have been sent to the FBR team have been securely held and will now be processed in strict date order."

which suggests that it is indeed from date of documents received, not from date of application. They certainly don't contact applicants to tell them when it is their turn to submit documents, and you can't be approved without your documents being received before the end of your pregnancy so you do need to send them in even if the rest of the public is being told not to.

However, being pregnant you will need to send a signed letter from your doctor stating due dates etc. and on the front of your envelope you have to write PREGNANT in the corner with your applicant number. You are only allowed to do this after first contacting the DFA and letting them know you require expedited approval due to pregnancy, as far as I am aware. If you sent in your documents now, you'd have to contact the DFA let them know you're pregnant and then send the pregnancy related documents as well. I'd suggest it would be better for you to contact the DFA asap then send your documents rather than do it the other way around. That would also be a good time to double check the passport issue with them.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:58 pm

JT97 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 pm
mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 am

It is my understanding that no you aren't in the queue as your documents must be received by the DFA for you to be placed in the queue. On this thread we definitely count time elapsed from date of documents received in Balbriggan not date of application. The DFA's website also states,

"Applications that have been sent to the FBR team have been securely held and will now be processed in strict date order."

which suggests that it is indeed from date of documents received, not from date of application. They certainly don't contact applicants to tell them when it is their turn to submit documents, and you can't be approved without your documents being received before the end of your pregnancy so you do need to send them in even if the rest of the public is being told not to.

However, being pregnant you will need to send a signed letter from your doctor stating due dates etc. and on the front of your envelope you have to write PREGNANT in the corner with your applicant number. You are only allowed to do this after first contacting the DFA and letting them know you require expedited approval due to pregnancy, as far as I am aware. If you sent in your documents now, you'd have to contact the DFA let them know you're pregnant and then send the pregnancy related documents as well. I'd suggest it would be better for you to contact the DFA asap then send your documents rather than do it the other way around. That would also be a good time to double check the passport issue with them.
Yes this is right. You’re not in the queue until they physically have your documents and have logged them on the system. I would get all the correct documents sent off ASAP because they probably won’t immediately get round to adding you onto the FBR unless you’ve been in the queue for a few months. I was In the queue for about 9 months and I then my wife got pregnant. About five months later my application was expedited and approved. I do wonder what would have happened if I’d applied and then immediately told them about the pregnancy.

About to apply for my daughter once her British passport arrives in the post. Then onto her Australian citizenship application. Lucky girl!

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Thank you so much for your replies and help.

They took my money in March! It's a real blow to find out I'm not in any sort of queue basically because I did what they told me (and many others) to do.

This is also costing a fortune. Unfortunately, my grandfather's DOB was wrong by SIX DAYS on his death certificate, so I'm having to make a correction to it. It's going to cost £90 to correct it, plus another fee for the corrected certificate, and it could take months. If I spent a fortune to travel there in person (when there's a pandemic still happening) they could do it on the day for £75 (plus fee for the certificate) and that would be it. I'm ready to tear my hair out with it to be honest.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm
MikeyMike wrote:
It would provide clarity if there's anyone still on the forum who has gone all the way though the FBR process and can comment on ID expiry
Although this wasn't an issue for me during my application, I remember seeing this issue raised several times on this forum back then. These led to responses from people confirming that their expired documents (e.g. driving licenses out of date, or utility bills which no longer fell within the required date range) hadn't caused a problem, providing they were in-date at the time they were submitted. Unfortunately, because this thread is such a monster, it would take forever to go back through and locate these posts, and I haven't been able to find them via a Google search.

However, I think people can relax: your assumption that any document date/currency requirements mean 'at the time of application' must be correct. Otherwise the DFA would face a bureaucratic nightmare with the majority of submitted utility bills etc. no longer meeting the date requirements, although they did back in 2019 when the applications were submitted.
Thanks. My issue is that I applied online in March but held off sending my documents because they've asked us not to. The passport expired in May. I'm furious to think I've held myself up by actually doing what they asked. I've seen others comment that it was futile sending them while processing was suspended because they haven't received confirmation of receipt anyway. I'm hoping that they actually DO really mean date order, and that the application numbers generated correspond to a date ordered queue. If your docs aren't there and waiting by the time they get to your application, that's your fault and they get to reject it as incomplete. In these circumstances, it's f*cking stupid otherwise.

So now, I'm not in any queue, I'm pregnant and I have to wait at least a month if not longer for a new passport to be issued to my mother. Livid. Clearly this isn't going to work out for me and my child.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 pm

mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:25 pm

They took my money in March! It's a real blow to find out I'm not in any sort of queue basically because I did what they told me (and many others) to do.

This is also costing a fortune. Unfortunately, my grandfather's DOB was wrong by SIX DAYS on his death certificate, so I'm having to make a correction to it. It's going to cost £90 to correct it, plus another fee for the corrected certificate, and it could take months. If I spent a fortune to travel there in person (when there's a pandemic still happening) they could do it on the day for £75 (plus fee for the certificate) and that would be it. I'm ready to tear my hair out with it to be honest.
My grandmother lied about her age on her marriage certificate and was listed as NINE years younger than she actually was. It wasn’t even questioned by the FBR team as it has been quite common to have these errors in the past. Having said that if the death certificate is more recent then it probably is prudent to get it changed.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:13 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 pm
mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:25 pm

My grandmother lied about her age on her marriage certificate and was listed as NINE years younger than she actually was. It wasn’t even questioned by the FBR team as it has been quite common to have these errors in the past. Having said that if the death certificate is more recent then it probably is prudent to get it changed.
Nine years! :lol: Wow! My granddad's death was registered in 1988 and the mistake is so slight I quibbled for a while on whether to bother correcting it. The one thing the death certificate has going for it is that it gives his correct name and says he was born in Ireland, so regardless of the date, he was Irish! My feeling is that it's easy enough for them to work out that he is who he is. I found him! I guess they just need to match us up properly though. Ultimately I just didn't want to potentially hold things up for something I still had chance to change. But it's interesting to note that they didn't seem bothered by a nine year error!

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 pm

mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm
<SNIP>
Thanks. My issue is that I applied online in March but held off sending my documents because they've asked us not to. The passport expired in May. I'm furious to think I've held myself up by actually doing what they asked. I've seen others comment that it was futile sending them while processing was suspended because they haven't received confirmation of receipt anyway. I'm hoping that they actually DO really mean date order, and that the application numbers generated correspond to a date ordered queue. If your docs aren't there and waiting by the time they get to your application, that's your fault and they get to reject it as incomplete. In these circumstances, it's f*cking stupid otherwise.

So now, I'm not in any queue, I'm pregnant and I have to wait at least a month if not longer for a new passport to be issued to my mother. Livid. Clearly this isn't going to work out for me and my child.
Don't over think this. Some of the advice you've been given about the inner workings of the FBR process are speculative at best. Just make contact via Passport Office webchat and you will be told what to do. Once the FBR team have picked up your application you can tell them about any date discrepancies, expired documents etc. and take it from there. Despite limited operations and sizeable backlog due to brexit and the coronavirus pandemic, they have processed thousands of expedited applications this year so please try not to worry.

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 am

i applied online march 2020 and sent my docs almost immediately although they took two months to arrive bc of the pandemic. they had said on their website not to send in any supporting documentation at that time. i just did it anyway. i never received a confirmation email of receipt but i did send them via recorded post. when the office opened up a few months later (briefly) i asked the webchat if they had received my docs and they told me they received them day after my tracking info said they arrived. although they were closed, somebody was there, and put them into the system. i’m not telling anyone what to do bc i don’t want to be liable but that is my personal experience.

aflee33
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by aflee33 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi all,

Another long time lurker here! I don't have any updates unfortunately, but I thought I'd share my timeline so far...
Application submitted: 15/04/19
Application received: 14/10/19
Nothing since then, so over 2 years down!

My sister applied a few weeks after me, in November 2019 (not sure exact date), and was added to the FBR in September of this year. She kindly asked the lady who she had been emailing with for an update on my application and was told mine hadn't been looked at yet as work was paused due to Covid-19 (even though my sisters had been successfully processed in that time).

So, they're closed but they're open. The work is paused but its not. And applications are being worked through in strict order, but (evidently) not.

I am over all just grateful I have this opportunity, and luckily in no real rush. I just wanted to finally join the board so I could feel some togetherness with others who are feeling quite frustrated and eager for an update of any kind. Good luck all!

A x

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:41 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 pm
mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm
<SNIP>

Don't over think this. Some of the advice you've been given about the inner workings of the FBR process are speculative at best. Just make contact via Passport Office webchat and you will be told what to do. Once the FBR team have picked up your application you can tell them about any date discrepancies, expired documents etc. and take it from there. Despite limited operations and sizeable backlog due to brexit and the coronavirus pandemic, they have processed thousands of expedited applications this year so please try not to worry.
Thanks. You're right. I'm not taking anything on here as gospel, but thanks to my new circumstances I can't afford delays that I can reasonably avoid (e.g. applying for new passports and corrections to death certificates) and they have a certain lead-time. I'd love to get through to the passport office but webchat is disabled and nobody is picking up the phone! Will keep trying but it's easier getting through to god.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm

aflee33 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:55 pm
So, they're closed but they're open. The work is paused but its not. And applications are being worked through in strict order, but (evidently) not.
This is the best explanation of the whole FBR operation.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi guys.

I have a few questions if anybody is able to answer?

Firstly, my grandparent whom I intend to apply on the basis of was born in Northern Ireland, but has only ever held a British passport. Would this still mean I'm eligible? Or would she have needed to have held an Irish passport?

Secondly, concerns the state ID part. On the required documentation it says I need to provide state issued ID for myself, my grandparent and my parent. I am able to provide this for myself and my grandparent, but here is the real sticker.... I have been estranged from my parent since I was 12 years old and thus have no contact with her, so it would be nigh on impossible to get said state ID from them (my gran always said she never ever held a passport or a drivers licence anyway). I can provide my parents birth and marriage certs as I can just request that from the relevant offices, but the state ID is the really sticker. Is there a way around this? Are they flexible in this regard?

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Valo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 pm
Hi guys.

I have a few questions if anybody is able to answer?

Firstly, my grandparent whom I intend to apply on the basis of was born in Northern Ireland, but has only ever held a British passport. Would this still mean I'm eligible? Or would she have needed to have held an Irish passport?

Secondly, concerns the state ID part. On the required documentation it says I need to provide state issued ID for myself, my grandparent and my parent. I am able to provide this for myself and my grandparent, but here is the real sticker.... I have been estranged from my parent since I was 12 years old and thus have no contact with her, so it would be nigh on impossible to get said state ID from them (my gran always said she never ever held a passport or a drivers licence anyway). I can provide my parents birth and marriage certs as I can just request that from the relevant offices, but the state ID is the really sticker. Is there a way around this? Are they flexible in this regard?
Yes your grandparent was physically born on the island of Ireland and you are eligible to get citizenship through them regardless if they were born in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. I had similar problem with an estranged parant & the FBR department just said to include this information in a cover letter explaining why I was unable to get the parents ID. But I have also read that some people were required to have a signed letter by a solicitor where you have made a sworn statement that you are estranged from the parent. But The FBR department didnt mention that to me in webchat. But that would only cost 30 quid anyway.