ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LZ_90
Singapore

Change of Name

Post by LZ_90 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:53 am

Hi everyone,

I plan to add my Christian / English name AFTER receiving my first British Passport (ie apply for a second passport with a deed poll to reflect the change of my name). Given that my country (Singapore) doesn’t recognise dual citizenship, I therefore plan to renounce my Singaporean citizenship and thus only holding one British passport.

I’m wondering if anyone had similar experience or came across relevant information on this forum to provide any note points. I envisage this to be straightforward but some people on this forum experienced difficulties when getting their name changed after receiving the first passport where their names are basically identical to the ones on their foreign passport.

Thanks very much!

Best

yomishu
Mood:
India

Re: Change of Name

Post by yomishu » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:57 am

I have applied for name change after i received my first british passport and my birth country doesnt accept dual nationality. So i had to surrender the passport

I have applied for new british passport with deed and proof showing the new name is been used (driving licence or so)

As of now the passport application is super slow , its been a month now and they havent started processing my passport - it still says document received so if you need to travel then i would say dont apply for name change right now

LZ_90
Singapore

Post by LZ_90 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. When you applied for your second passport, did you have to provide any proof that you’ve surrendered your foreign passport? Or they don’t care anymore as this is your second British passport hence only deed poll and proof of your original and new name will do?

Thank you

LZ_90
Singapore

Post by LZ_90 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:35 pm

yomishu wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:57 am
I have applied for name change after i received my first british passport and my birth country doesnt accept dual nationality. So i had to surrender the passport

I have applied for new british passport with deed and proof showing the new name is been used (driving licence or so)

As of now the passport application is super slow , its been a month now and they havent started processing my passport - it still says document received so if you need to travel then i would say dont apply for name change right now

Thank you so much for the reply. When you applied for your second passport, did you have to provide any proof that you’ve surrendered your foreign passport? Or they don’t care anymore as this is your second British passport hence only deed poll and proof of your original and new name will do?

Thank you

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 am

I had to send them surrender certificate and my first british passport as well

sorry forgot to mention that

LZ_90
Singapore

Post by LZ_90 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:41 pm

yomishu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 am

Ah, im not sure if the embassy will issue the surrender certificate due to covid...but thank you very much for the advice, have a great weekend!

LZ_90
Singapore

Post by LZ_90 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:02 pm

yomishu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 am

Sorry to bother you again Yomishu, did you send them the surrender certificate under their request? Or voluntarily did that? I’m just trying to figure out if the certificate is mandatory.

Thank you.