ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Valo
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Valo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:32 pm

Ah right! Thanks for your reply. That really clears things up.

I've heard similar before but just wanted to hear from people on here and their experiences. That's great! I've been meaning to ask the FBR people themselves about it but the FBR webchat is closed atm so.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:27 am

mari1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:41 pm
MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 pm
mari1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm
<SNIP>
Thanks. My issue is that I applied online in March but held off sending my documents because they've asked us not to. The passport expired in May. I'm furious to think I've held myself up by actually doing what they asked. I've seen others comment that it was futile sending them while processing was suspended because they haven't received confirmation of receipt anyway. I'm hoping that they actually DO really mean date order, and that the application numbers generated correspond to a date ordered queue. If your docs aren't there and waiting by the time they get to your application, that's your fault and they get to reject it as incomplete. In these circumstances, it's f*cking stupid otherwise.

So now, I'm not in any queue, I'm pregnant and I have to wait at least a month if not longer for a new passport to be issued to my mother. Livid. Clearly this isn't going to work out for me and my child.
Don't over think this. Some of the advice you've been given about the inner workings of the FBR process are speculative at best. Just make contact via Passport Office webchat and you will be told what to do. Once the FBR team have picked up your application you can tell them about any date discrepancies, expired documents etc. and take it from there. Despite limited operations and sizeable backlog due to brexit and the coronavirus pandemic, they have processed thousands of expedited applications this year so please try not to worry.
Thanks. You're right. I'm not taking anything on here as gospel, but thanks to my new circumstances I can't afford delays that I can reasonably avoid (e.g. applying for new passports and corrections to death certificates) and they have a certain lead-time. I'd love to get through to the passport office but webchat is disabled and nobody is picking up the phone! Will keep trying but it's easier getting through to god.
Productive comments - don't start spending time and money trying to get a new death certificate.

My grandfather's US death certificate listed age in years, months, days. I think this had to be too cumbersome for the FBR to realize it did not match their birth certificate by 2 months. (I'm convinced his birthday was changed from 3/23 to 5/25 when they entered it in their database.)

The FBR realizes there are minor discrepancies (birth certificate shows Abigail, marriage and ID show Gail).
They said they'll approve my application if they ever proceed from confirmation of address (26 months and counting).

Less productive
The Irish citizenship ctr in the US said documents had to be valid when I applied, not when they were reviewed a year later. I don't have proof, since my drivers' license is still valid (submitted it in addition to passport.)

Reports here are clear that applications are not processed in date order. I think waiting to mail documents was not a good idea, but your situation should be easy to fix.

Contact them re your pregnancy and existing documents. The passport and FBR offices seem to respond promptly to expectant parents, so they should tell you what they need.

mari1234
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mari1234 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:11 am

I got through to the passport webchat and they told me to email the FBR team. I did and got a reply!! (Overwhelmed :D )

So, I’m to send what I have now, with pregnant on the front of the application and a letter from my doc to confirm, which I hope to get early next week. I was also advised to get the passport renewed and the death certificate corrected so that if they do ask for it, I’ll have it all ready. I feel mildly annoyed they can’t say whether it would be required or not but hey, mum does need a new passport! They can’t guarantee they’ll get to it before my due date but they will try apparently. Can’t ask for more than that in these circumstances.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

ironkerton
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ironkerton » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:58 am

Hello all,
Long time lurker. Just updating with my details as I patiently wait.

Applied: 10th March 2019
Confirmation of docs: 28th August 2019

Glad to see people starting to get confirmations from around my time.

I think mine is relatively straightforward. Hope to hear something soon!

My application wasn't actually Brexit related. I had been meaning to apply for my Irish citizenship for 20 odd years. I had only just gotten the income to be able to afford it and then the pandemic struck. Good luck everyone.

ironkerton
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ironkerton » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:05 am

Oh and a question.

Can someone please share the email address the confirmation comes from? Obviously I am certain I will miss it/it will go in spam so want to be able to search it!

Thanks

rwbarrett
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rwbarrett » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi
we sent my wife's application to Dublin in March 20 (just before the office closed) and have heard nothing., Has anyone who submitted around that time received any acknoweldgements at all?
Thanks!

cjncjn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cjncjn » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:58 pm

Long time lurker of this thread here...

Irish Passport Service saying that processing of FBR applications is still paused:

I thought they were meant to start again once restrictions eased?

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:48 pm

ironkerton wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:05 am
Oh and a question.

Can someone please share the email address the confirmation comes from? Obviously I am certain I will miss it/it will go in spam so want to be able to search it!

Thanks
If you whitelist these domains you'll be covered. Never harms to check your junk/spam folder occasionally either.

@dfat.ie, @dfa.ie

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:51 pm

cjncjn wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:58 pm
Long time lurker of this thread here...
Irish Passport Service saying that processing of FBR applications is still paused:
I thought they were meant to start again once restrictions eased?
What they say & what they actually do are frustratingly different things. Unfortunately the whole FBR service is regarded as more of a trivial perk than a priority.

CK312
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by CK312 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 am

A quick question - does anyone know if you need to send a marriage certificate if there is no name change?

I am married but have not changed my name and am applying through my father who did not change his name either.

SLwlss
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SLwlss » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:11 am

CK312 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 am
A quick question - does anyone know if you need to send a marriage certificate if there is no name change?

I am married but have not changed my name and am applying through my father who did not change his name either.
I would say no need for it. If there has been no name change then there's no need to give them a piece of information that doesn't corroborate your story

The wording on https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/ say to provide a document described below so indicates it is only to corroborate a name change:

"Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)"

CK312
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by CK312 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks very much.

SLwlss
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SLwlss » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 am

CK312 wrote:

My previous comment is just for you. I would still submit your parents marriage certificate (if available) as this should tie into your birth certificate and complete that "story"

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 pm

CK312 wrote:

I recommend you send the documents anyway they would still be considered "additional supporting documents" and show use of name and official relationship between the person and government.

Kietan1997
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Kietan1997 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:58 am

Hello, this may be a dumb question but I just want to make sure. So I submitted my application and getting all the documents to send off. It says for the passport photos “ 4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) – do not attach these to the application form” does that mean literally just don’t attach them to the application paper, just have them loose in the envelope? Again sounds like a silly question, but I want to make sure I do it all right the first time! Thanks everyone

Best Regards Kietan

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 am

Kietan1997 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:58 am
Hello, this may be a dumb question but I just want to make sure. So I submitted my application and getting all the documents to send off. It says for the passport photos “ 4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) – do not attach these to the application form” does that mean literally just don’t attach them to the application paper, just have them loose in the envelope? Again sounds like a silly question, but I want to make sure I do it all right the first time! Thanks everyone

Best Regards Kietan
Yes. I just had my witness sign & date them. Let the ink dry and then put them in an envelope.
jgclancy

Artwerk
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Artwerk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am

Hi everyone,
I just signed up to ask a question, what is the opinion about sending in documents now? I applied back in March and held off sending them as I thought I'd be in the queue.
Better to wait or send them in as there must be people there to accept the docs?

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Artwerk wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am
Hi everyone,
I just signed up to ask a question, what is the opinion about sending in documents now? I applied back in March and held off sending them as I thought I'd be in the queue.
Better to wait or send them in as there must be people there to accept the docs?
Given that the advice is still not to send documents, nobody can categorically tell you that it's okay to ignore this or whether sending them in now will be better than waiting. However, the best evidence I've seen that it's probably okay to send documents is from the following post on the previous page of this thread:
ripforreallldo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 am
i applied online march 2020 and sent my docs almost immediately although they took two months to arrive bc of the pandemic. they had said on their website not to send in any supporting documentation at that time. i just did it anyway. i never received a confirmation email of receipt but i did send them via recorded post. when the office opened up a few months later (briefly) i asked the webchat if they had received my docs and they told me they received them day after my tracking info said they arrived. although they were closed, somebody was there, and put them into the system. i’m not telling anyone what to do bc i don’t want to be liable but that is my personal experience.
As he says, he can't promise anything or take responsibility for anyone else ignoring the "don't send documents" instruction, but it worked for him.

Celtic67
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Celtic67 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Hi Just contacted the very unhelpful webchat team and got this response on my application they are an utter joke!
2021-11-04 13:44:45 | System: You are now connected to xxxxx.
2021-11-04 13:45:04 | Agent: Thank you for contacting the Passport Office. My name is xxxx. How may I help you today?
2021-11-04 13:45:59 | Celtic 67: Hi I have had a application for FBR in process for 2 years and 1 month and not heard anything at all can you please give me a status update?
2021-11-04 13:46:27 | Agent: You’re through to the wrong section, this is the Passport Office. Foreign Birth Registration are a different section to us and are currently closed due to covid 19. you will have to contact them when they reopen
2021-11-04 13:47:47 | Celtic 67: When is that it is part of the passport office and there are no restrictions due to covid 19 what prevents them from opening
2021-11-04 13:48:42 | Celtic 67: It states to contact your area for urgent updates
2021-11-04 13:50:37 | Agent: there are still restrictions for offices opening , I have no further information as we are a different department you will have to keep an eye on their website
2021-11-04 13:50:49 | System: The agent has ended this chat.

Artwerk
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Artwerk » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:55 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm
Artwerk wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am
Hi everyone,
Given that the advice is still not to send documents, nobody can categorically tell you that it's okay to ignore this or whether sending them in now will be better than waiting. However, the best evidence I've seen that it's probably okay to send documents is from the following post on the previous page of this thread:
ripforreallldo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 am
i applied online march 2020 and sent my docs almost immediately although they took two months to arrive bc of the pandemic. they had said on their website not to send in any supporting documentation at that time. i just did it anyway. i never received a confirmation email of receipt but i did send them via recorded post. when the office opened up a few months later (briefly) i asked the webchat if they had received my docs and they told me they received them day after my tracking info said they arrived. although they were closed, somebody was there, and put them into the system. i’m not telling anyone what to do bc i don’t want to be liable but that is my personal experience.
As he says, he can't promise anything or take responsibility for anyone else ignoring the "don't send documents" instruction, but it worked for him.
Yes good point, it's probably not worth the risk of losing them.
Thanks for the reply, I'll wait until they're able to communicate with us

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Celtic67 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:59 pm
Hi Just contacted the very unhelpful webchat team and got this response on my application they are an utter joke!
<SNIP>
2021-11-04 13:45:59 | Celtic 67: Hi I have had a application for FBR in process for 2 years and 1 month and not heard anything at all can you please give me a status update?
<SNIP>
The FBR website states that they are officially closed, however we know from posts to this forum that they are operating in a very limited capacity but they will respond to urgent cases such as pregnancy. That fact that you've been waiting for a little over 2 years does not qualify, so like the majority of us you just have to sit tight and be patient. If it makes you feel any better, you're probably close to the front of the queue.

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:16 pm

Dear xxxxx

You had previously advised that your child was due in September 2021?
The recent document submitted by you was, as requested, an original notarized birth certificate for your father, does not contain date of birth or place of birth for your grandfather through whom you are claiming Irish citizenship.

As previously advised to you, your application is referred for further review to Integrity section who shall contact you in future.

Regards

Foreign Births Registration
Passport Service.
I resubmitted a birth certificate showing my grandparents' place of birth and date of birth. I wonder if they have received a new birth certificate
Does anyone know the Department shown above?

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm

I've been asking them if you received my birth certificate sent in October. They never answer this question. The courier number shows that they signed for it on October 12

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I've been asking them if you received my birth certificate sent in October. They never answer this question. The courier number shows that they signed for it on October 12

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Getting them to reply to your email is as difficult as going to Mars.