ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Falling at the first hurdle. FBR Application Advice Required

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

avcentraltias
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Falling at the first hurdle. FBR Application Advice Required

Post by avcentraltias » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:59 am

Hello everyone, like so many British citizens I too am jumping on the post Brexit Irish citizenship bandwagon, and having spent much of my life treating Ireland as a home from home regularly visiting family over there, I will be proud to become an Irish citizen.

For reference, I believe I can be entered on the foreign births register as My Grandfather was born in Armagh, My Grandmother in Drogheda. Their child (my mother) was born in Birmingham UK, and sometime after that I was also born in Birmingham UK

I believe I have done all the right things when it comes to getting an Irish Passport for mum as I don't think she needs to be on the FBR to get a passport. Is that right? Im just waiting for some photo ID to come through for her before I send the Passport application off but apart from that I think that application is ready to go.

When it comes to me, please correct me if any of the following is wrong:

I have to be entered on the FBR before I can apply for an Irish passport.
In order for me to be entered on to the FBR I first have to get Mum entered on the FBR as I can not apply for myself without her Naturalisation date and number.

Something else that strikes me is that the first page of the fbr.dfa.ie website application, under the "General Tab" asks how the parent acquired Irish citizenship. In the case of my Grandfather none of the five options apply to him. He was born in Ireland himself. He has not become naturalized. He has not been adopted. He married an Irish woman. Therefore, when it comes to submitting the FBR application for mum the application form shows that Grandad as "Citizenship category of parent: Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland" which is not true.

What am I getting wrong?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Falling at the first hurdle. FBR Application Advice Required

Post by littlerr » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:29 am

You said it yourself that your mom doesn’t need to be on FBR, yet you are looking to put her in it. That’s what is wrong. You need to be entered into FBR. Not your mom.
You also mentioned you need to get your mom’s ‘naturalisation date and number’. That’s also irrelevant. You cannot naturalise someone who is born Irish. And on a separate note, FBR isn’t naturalisation.

avcentraltias
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by avcentraltias » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:52 am

Ahhhhh! That makes sense, now. As ever, Im over thinking this. Thank you.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:09 pm

You are blending getting FBR via Grandparent with getting FBR via a Naturalized Parent.
These are separate routes to get on FBR.

For using grandfather who is born on the whole island of Ireland get his birth/marriage/death(or ID).
Get your mother's birth/marriage/death (or ID) and your birth/marriage/ID along with the other minor documents requested & photo's with witness signed & dated.

None of your mother's naturalization matters here.

The idea here is it is through the grandfather and the parents citizenship status is irrelevant. I obtained my FBR through grandparent. My mother's citizenship didn't matter as far as paperwork

Make sure all of the birth, marriage & death certificates are government issued. Notarize ID's .

Hope it helps....jgclancy

avcentraltias
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by avcentraltias » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks.

All the certificates I have are, as far as I am aware, government issue. Grandads birth certificate is a certified copy direct from the General Register Office For Northern Ireland. His marriage and death took place in England so those documents are from the General register office as are my birth certifcate and anything else I need to submit relating to mum. So i think im clear now.

Thanks to you two i understand the principle now. Really I was working on the assumption that mum needed to be added before I could be, but I see where I was going wrong. Mum has always been an Irish citizen from the moment she was born, no need for her to be added to any register.

I keep hearing horror stories when I comes to processing FBR's. Some say 12 - 18 months. I have also seen 26 months. Assuming all my ducks are the correct row, do you know how long these take to process?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Sadly, it will take a long time. Processing slowed measuredly due to Brexit. Big surges of applications occurred that slowed time from 3-6 months til over a year. Then came Covid-19 shut downs. It will depend on how things go in next 6 months to get things going again. So at the least a year and a half as it stands now and maybe longer. Sorry to say.
My time line was:

Documents arrived June 27 2019-----told I was approved Dec 14 20209 but then a Covid shutdown --fianlly received FBR cert. in Aug 2021.

jgclancy

avcentraltias
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by avcentraltias » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Wow. Thank god i'm not in a rush for them........... and good luck to those who are :shock: