ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Proof of continuous Residence for EU National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Peter1965
Newly Registered
Italy

British Citizenship Proof of continuous Residence for EU National

Post by Peter1965 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am

I am helping my wife apply for her British Citizenship (after being in the UK for 54 year!). WE have hit a challenge and I was looking for suggestions?

The required documentation/evidence for the online process includes the following item:

3) Proof of living in the UK for (Name of Applicant)

If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you're married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you don't have your passport, or it wasn't stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you've been living in the UK.

Since my wife has only worked periodically as a volunteer, and has not been in education since her degree (many years ago) I am stuck as to what forms of "Proof" are acceptable. We have bank statements, some bills, an annual tax return but not much more than this. I had considered a signed letter offering a long list of digital correspondence that shows UK activity but I am not sure if this works. I am also unclear as to why Statements and Bills are not acceptable, since her Indefinite Right to remain shows her legal entitlement to be in the UK and Bills and statements should be sufficient to show a presence.

Any advice or help is welcome if someone has solved this?

Thanks

dexmo
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizenship Proof of continuous Residence for EU National

Post by dexmo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 am

Peter1965 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am
I am helping my wife apply for her British Citizenship (after being in the UK for 54 year!). WE have hit a challenge and I was looking for suggestions?

The required documentation/evidence for the online process includes the following item:

3) Proof of living in the UK for (Name of Applicant)

If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you're married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you don't have your passport, or it wasn't stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you've been living in the UK.

Since my wife has only worked periodically as a volunteer, and has not been in education since her degree (many years ago) I am stuck as to what forms of "Proof" are acceptable. We have bank statements, some bills, an annual tax return but not much more than this. I had considered a signed letter offering a long list of digital correspondence that shows UK activity but I am not sure if this works. I am also unclear as to why Statements and Bills are not acceptable, since her Indefinite Right to remain shows her legal entitlement to be in the UK and Bills and statements should be sufficient to show a presence.

Any advice or help is welcome if someone has solved this?

Thanks
Annual tax returns covering the last 3 years should be sufficient - they are official statements from a gov department. I've used this for my last year of the qualifying period and had no issues. You can also add a cover letter explaining her circumstances. If the caseworker needs more docs, which they shouldn't, they'll contact her.