ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

children travelled while MN1 was in process but approved before return

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jb51214
Newly Registered

children travelled while MN1 was in process but approved before return

Post by jb51214 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Scenario
I had Tier-2-General BRP, and kids had T2 G dependant BRP.

then

I recently got ILR.
So, my children applied for BC using MN1 (while still holding T2 G BRPs - expiry date is valid for future 2 years).

then

we travelled out of UK for a month - while MN1 was still in-progress, as kids had older valid T2G dependant BRP.

and now

got an email from HO, that BC is approved for children. email received on 4th Nov 2021. Not sure if the certificate is already delivered to my home address in UK or not.

We are travelling back in 7 days from today, i.e. on 14th Nov (I will have ILR, kids will have old T2G dependant valid BRPs). Flights are booked. We need to be back to school/work already.

problem:

HO email says:
"Your previous immigration status
Once you have received your certificate of British citizenship any Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) you have will no longer be valid and cannot be used as evidence of your status."

Questions
1. Can we assume that since kids haven't "received" the BC registration certificates yet, their BRP is still valid and we can travel back to UK without any issues?
2. I can ask a friend to check our posts at home and collect the certificates. Send soft copies to us, and we can show those to immigration officers if needed. Would that be a recommended/need/avoidable action?
3. Is there anything I MUST do now to ensure our travel on 14th Nov is hassle-free at the immigration counter.

Timely help will be greatly appreciated please.

vinny

Re: children travelled while MN1 was in process but approved before return

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:27 am

Please keep us updated.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:53 am

Having copies of the Registration certificates in hand may be helpful. But they may need originals when applying for either a British passport or a CoE-RoA.

I am unsure if the airlines will know about the cancellation of a BRP? If they permit boarding, then it may be okay. If an Immigration Officer knows about the changes in circumstances, then I think it’s unlikely that they would refuse entry to a British citizen?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

jb51214
Newly Registered

Post by jb51214 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:34 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:27 am
Please keep us updated.
Will do.

I rang HO helpline but nothing conclusive from them either.

Andrew2020
United Kingdom

Post by Andrew2020 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:50 am

Hi;

I have the same problem. Can you please update us if you had any problem at customs?

Thanks

jb51214
Newly Registered

Post by jb51214 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Re:
Hi;

I have the same problem. Can you please update us if you had any problem at customs?

Thanks
and
by jb51214 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:34 pm

vinny wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:27 am
Please keep us updated.
Will do.
Update

I travelled with my children on 14th Nov 2021 and there were no issues or questions asked.

I had my new looking ILR BRP for half the family, and the older T2G Dependant BRPs (still valid) for UK born children (who had the BC registration certificate) posted on MN1 while we were out of country for one month travel.

Notes:
1. Between the approval of BC (date on certificate) and the travel day there were 23-24 days in total.
2. I had soft copies ready for BC registration certificates with me in case I was asked, and had asked my friend to carry the original certificates when they would come to pick us up at airport (incase needed)
3. To check if the BRPs are still valid, I did this:
a. put an older BRP where ILR replaced the old BRP in work-rights check gov web service i.e. https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work

For where I had an ILR for one of my daughter (born out of UK), if I put older T2G BRP it showed that the older BRP is not valid. AS below:

Code: Select all

Your biometric residence card or permit is not valid
Your biometric residence card or permit has either:

expired
been reported lost or stolen
Make sure you use your current biometric residence card or permit number.

How to prove your rights
If you have applied to extend your stay in the UK or you are appealing an immigration decision, ask your employer to check your right to work with the Home Office.

b. then I entered the BRP details for those children who had T2G BRP and applied MN1 directly, The page didn't show an error like above and instead simply said that children dont need to prove right to work. Kinda, a positive sign.

4. the page to check BRP is provide right to work in gov.uk website. And not the one that is about proving immigration status. You could tell by looking at the screen when it asks for BRP number. The page shows

Code: Select all

Biometric residence card or permit number
For example, RE1234567
notice RE1234567 instead of something else on the prove immigration status page. Hope it explains.

Important: this is just to share my experience and not a professional advice.

Thanks and best of luck.

Fyi - Vinny and Andrew2020

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:43 am

Thanks for the update.