ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pgm888
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Ireland - First time passport applications timelines -2021

Post by Pgm888 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Today is the day.

8/21 App received
9/9 Docs received
11/2 Processing
11/10 Printing
11/11 Dispatched
11/15 Delivered

A few observations. A copy of my USA Passport was accepted as proof. It was notarized.
I did not receive any emails during the process from Ireland.
The individual who I listed to verify my identity was never contacted.

Thank you all for all your help and good luck.

sugeie
Ghana

Post by sugeie » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 am

water_tank1 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:07 am
sugeie wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:10 pm
polarcub wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:04 pm
Re anyone who has posted about birth certificates. If you did not send one in with your original citizenship application, you must have done an affidavit so just use the same affidavit form for the passport application. Print the same form, fill it out as your had before, and get it witnessed by a lawyer
Congrats!! just wondering if anyone sent in original laminated birth-certs and had issue or no issues. I sent the only certs i have ever used 5 weeks ago (which were laminated from birth) and i fear they will reject it and restart the application clock all over again. Maybe i should be thinking of preempting this before it gets rejected? Also i believe i only sent one document to cover both proof of name and proof of address. All these are a no no on the website

Hi Sugeie,

Did you have any issues submitting a laminated copy of your Birth Certificate?

I just applied and my original Birth Certificate was in a bad state so it was laminated to preserve it. In my home country, a new original cannot be obtained so I obtained an official photocopy of my Birth Certificate with an official issuing stamp from my home country then got a certified English translation done here in Ireland.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Hello

Yes I had issues with the laminated cert and it delayed my application by a month ( Thank God though cos it could have been worse with the horror stories on here) I was exactly in your situation as an alternative cert was impossible to get and I wrote and explained this to the department . I got a phone call a month after the letter and I explained my situation again and two days later my passport was printed and dispatched. I will advice you write to them so you don’t experience delays like I did.

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:30 am

sugeie wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 am
water_tank1 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:07 am
sugeie wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:10 pm
polarcub wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:04 pm
Re anyone who has posted about birth certificates. If you did not send one in with your original citizenship application, you must have done an affidavit so just use the same affidavit form for the passport application. Print the same form, fill it out as your had before, and get it witnessed by a lawyer
Congrats!! just wondering if anyone sent in original laminated birth-certs and had issue or no issues. I sent the only certs i have ever used 5 weeks ago (which were laminated from birth) and i fear they will reject it and restart the application clock all over again. Maybe i should be thinking of preempting this before it gets rejected? Also i believe i only sent one document to cover both proof of name and proof of address. All these are a no no on the website

Hi Sugeie,

Did you have any issues submitting a laminated copy of your Birth Certificate?

I just applied and my original Birth Certificate was in a bad state so it was laminated to preserve it. In my home country, a new original cannot be obtained so I obtained an official photocopy of my Birth Certificate with an official issuing stamp from my home country then got a certified English translation done here in Ireland.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Hello

Yes I had issues with the laminated cert and it delayed my application by a month ( Thank God though cos it could have been worse with the horror stories on here) I was exactly in your situation as an alternative cert was impossible to get and I wrote and explained this to the department . I got a phone call a month after the letter and I explained my situation again and two days later my passport was printed and dispatched. I will advice you write to them so you don’t experience delays like I did.
Hi Sugeie,

Thanks for your reply.

I preempted that the laminated cert would be an issue, so I wrote out a cover note regarding the laminated cert and included it with the additional documentation that I submitted after the online passport application.

Hopefully, by including the cover note it won't have any impact on the application processing time?

hako
Turkey

Post by hako » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:57 pm

orod wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm
hako wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:44 pm
I have been asked to provide my birth cert again fore the 3.rd time again. Im a Turkish citizen and out birth certs are simply our ID cards and what we provide for citizenship application is the birth cert we get from the embassy. I got my citizenship with the birth cert I got from the embassy but obviously its not good enough for the passport office. The office thinks, certs I provided are photocopies. On the other hand another friend of mine with the same paper was good enough for the department to issue his passport :)

Today i gave up on them and I will be going to the solicitor tomorrow. First I need to make sure they can arrange me an appointment. I waited for 84 business days for them to do the right thing but I have reached my limits.

Unfortunately, from June 29.th until today we made no progress....
You need to get the formul-a international birth certificate document from the Turkish embassy in Ballsbridge, if you email them they will confirm that they issue this rather than the written copy of your ID card which is not accepted by the passport office. Just get "formül-a doğum belgesi" no need for a solicitor. All Turkish people are having the same problem and they end up re-submitting with formul-a document, I don't understand why Turkish embassy or Irish passport office just not warn people beforehand that only formul-a document is required.
It's all sorted. i managed to convince them what they do is not right. Got my passport on Monday!

Smilemee
Ireland

Post by Smilemee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:57 am

Guys I have a question ..Asking for a friend.. if somebody can help..

My friend's father in law is severely sick and need him to accompany his father in law abroad for his medical check up and further treatment as he has nobody els atm .. would that be an acceptable reason for an emergency passport request ? It's first time passport application though ..

Dublin/Cork office might facilitate or shall he apply online and request for urgent passport delivery ?

ssireland
India

Post by ssireland » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:31 am

U have to get the travel emergency email Id from the webchat citing the reason. and you have to send email with proof from hospital that he is getting treatment like MRI SCAN report or any other report .They may process it if it's valid.

Smilemee
Ireland

Post by Smilemee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 am

ssireland wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:31 am
U have to get the travel emergency email Id from the webchat citing the reason. and you have to send email with proof from hospital that he is getting treatment like MRI SCAN report or any other report .They may process it if it's valid.
Thank you .. but I am looking if somebody has gone through this stage .. anyway thanks that was great help

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:22 pm

An update on my status:

Online application: 18 May 2021
Documents received: 28 June 2021 (got stuck in the USPS system for 5 weeks)
Status changed to 'processing': 01 July 2021
Estimated issue date: mid-August 2021
Request for additional documentation: 06 September 2021*
Resubmitted documents received: 15 September 2021
Status changed to 'processing' again: 16 September 2021
Received original documents back: 21 September 2021
Estimated issue date: 22 November 2021
Status changed to 'printing': 19 November 2021 (45 working days since clock reset)

*requested marriage certificate showing name change and identity doc showing full middle name, not just an initial. I had submitted marriage cert for FBR...for those preparing your passport documents, if you had a name change, send the marriage cert along just in case!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:15 pm

UncleBud wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:22 pm
An update on my status:

Online application: 18 May 2021
Documents received: 28 June 2021 (got stuck in the USPS system for 5 weeks)
Status changed to 'processing': 01 July 2021
Estimated issue date: mid-August 2021
Request for additional documentation: 06 September 2021*
Resubmitted documents received: 15 September 2021
Status changed to 'processing' again: 16 September 2021
Received original documents back: 21 September 2021
Estimated issue date: 22 November 2021
Status changed to 'printing': 19 November 2021 (45 working days since clock reset)

Looks like mine are' stuck' in some postal limbo hell in Ireland. I wonder if all mailed applications from USA just get tossed in a big pile for awhile to stall the processing since they're overwhelmed. Oh well---after the limbo hell doing the 2+ years FBR app this will be nothing

congrats...jgclancy

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:11 pm

Hang in there jgclancy! My daughter's passport application is behind mine, and hers was stuck in Ireland for 10 days. It was definitely on the USPS side because An Post had no record of it until after it left the Dublin logjam.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Pgm888 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm
Today is the day.

A few observations. A copy of my USA Passport was accepted as proof. It was notarized.

Thanks for the observations. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience to confirm that notarized copies of US ID (driver's license and/or passport) are accepted?

The instructions seem to indicate an original passport or social security card (I'm in the USA too), or a witnessed copy of a drivers' license can be used.

I hit the longer end of the processing times for the Foreign Birth Registration (27 months to approval, still waiting for documents) and will not send them a valid US passport that would be very difficult to replace.

Notarized copies of license (state ID) and passport are easy to get so I'd like to know if these are sufficient, or if I should request a duplicate social security card to send them (also easy but takes a few weeks).

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:06 pm

I submitted copy of US drivers license and passport (both notarized), application still processing and they are verifying my documents. Status bar is about 90% and expected completion date is Dec 1, 2021. So far I have not been contacted to provide anything further. Not sure if this means anything but for some reason my status seems to change on Monday's??

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Angelo_2019 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:33 pm
Pgm888 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm
Today is the day.

Thanks for the observations. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience to confirm that notarized copies of US ID (driver's license and/or passport) are accepted?

The instructions seem to indicate an original passport or social security card (I'm in the USA too), or a witnessed copy of a drivers' license can be used.

I hit the longer end of the processing times for the Foreign Birth Registration (27 months to approval, still waiting for documents) and will not send them a valid US passport that would be very difficult to replace.

Notarized copies of license (state ID) and passport are easy to get so I'd like to know if these are sufficient, or if I should request a duplicate social security card to send them (also easy but takes a few weeks).
Notarized passport is fine. I sent notarized passport , notarized NY state ID & original Social Security card attached to a notarized copy. I even notarized all my other things since it was easy todo all at once.
I saw your post on the FBR thread- all of your official documents get returned with your FBR cert in a white envelope. For the passport they send passport first then documents later.
Good Luck--jgclancy

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm

For anyone who is abroad and worried about An Post losing your package, An Post currently has a massive backlog to fulfil. Many of domestic packages are being delayed for a couple of days. For international packages it could have a delay of up to a few weeks.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:42 am

littlerr wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm
For anyone who is abroad and worried about An Post losing your package, An Post currently has a massive backlog to fulfil. Many of domestic packages are being delayed for a couple of days. For international packages it could have a delay of up to a few weeks.
Not worried about it getting lost just not getting delivered in a timely manner.
My tracking has said: Departed Dublin. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
It has said that for 2 weeks now. Nothing i can do but wait...after two+ years waiting for FBR this is a snap Haha
Thanks for the info though.
jgclancy

Suro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Suro » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:36 am

Thought I would submit my husbands first time passport application for info. His father was Irish, so no FBR needed.
=======================
His Timeline for reference:
=======================
Online application : 28/10/2021
Tracking shows documents delivered: 18-11-2021
Documents marked as received :
Estimated issue date: Today... but I don't think that is accurate!! ;)
Current Status: "We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents"

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions any help would be appreciated. For first time passport application online via naturalisation. The documents to submit:

1 - Proof of address - original requested - My utility bills/bank statements are from online - Can I print this and send?
2 - Original passport - If I get this certified (without sending my original passport) - This is acceptable?
3 - Original birth cert - If I get this certified (without sending my original) - This is acceptable?
4 - Naturalisation Cert - Do I need to send in original? Or the certified copy is sufficient?
5 - Witness only Garda?

It does not make sense why the passport office must recheck all documents all over again when the checks already completed by the citizenship application already and the witness is Garda and not to mention eVetting. Passport office should work together with the citizenship department like we enter our citizenship ref when applying for the passport first time. Those without one will be subject to a through checks. Just an idea.

Thanks all.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:51 pm

NF13 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:07 pm
Hi,

I have a few questions any help would be appreciated. For first time passport application online via naturalisation. The documents to submit:

1 - Proof of address - original requested - My utility bills/bank statements are from online - Can I print this and send?
2 - Original passport - If I get this certified (without sending my original passport) - This is acceptable?
3 - Original birth cert - If I get this certified (without sending my original) - This is acceptable?
4 - Naturalisation Cert - Do I need to send in original? Or the certified copy is sufficient?
5 - Witness only Garda?

It does not make sense why the passport office must recheck all documents all over again when the checks already completed by the citizenship application already and the witness is Garda and not to mention eVetting. Passport office should work together with the citizenship department like we enter our citizenship ref when applying for the passport first time. Those without one will be subject to a through checks. Just an idea.

Thanks all.
1) DFA.ie: "We accept internet printouts that are stamped by issuing authority."
I printed mine and had them notarized. I did this for getting on FBR as well.
2)Passport copy can be sent if notarized.
3 & 4) I believe you MUST send government originals-no copies.
Only had my FBR certificate for a few days then back to Ireland for passport...
5) Didn't apply to me but if in Ireland----yep, seems you need a Garda to sign

Just my two bits worth from all that I have read. As for your hopes of cross referencing departments in Ireland -it sounds easy but, in reality, building a system to do that would be VERY expensive & at some point disruptive to switch over. Given the state of things now it would be many, many years from now if they started today.
goodluck...jgclancy

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:39 pm

NF13 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:07 pm
It does not make sense why the passport office must recheck all documents all over again when the checks already completed by the citizenship application already and the witness is Garda and not to mention eVetting.

Passport office should work together with the citizenship department like we enter our citizenship ref when applying for the passport first time. Those without one will be subject to a through checks. Just an idea.

Thanks all.
That would be a direct violation to GDPR. Different departments cannot share documents for different purposes.

Say for example if you have a medical condition, you only want your doctor to know it. You certainly won’t want every single person in the health industry to know.

Btw, Garda witness has nothing to do with vetting. Gardai is simply there to make sure that the photo, signature, application form and naturalisation certificate truly belong to you.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Notarized passport is fine. I sent notarized passport , notarized NY state ID & original Social Security card attached to a notarized copy. I even notarized all my other things since it was easy to do all at once.
I saw your post on the FBR thread- all of your official documents get returned with your FBR cert in a white envelope. For the passport they send passport first then documents later.
Good Luck--jgclancy
Thanks for answering questions in both questions - the information was helpful.

The FBR and original documents arrived two days ago in the white envelope as promised.

For the passport, I'll notarize copies of the US passport and social security card. Even with current delays, it sounds like the passport goes much faster than the FBR (2-4 months vs. just over 27 months.)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:38 am

Angelo_2019 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm
jgclancy wrote:

Notarized passport is fine. I sent notarized passport , notarized NY state ID & original Social Security card attached to a notarized copy. I even notarized all my other things since it was easy to do all at once.
Good Luck--jgclancy

The FBR and original documents arrived two days ago in the white envelope as promised.

For the passport, I'll notarize copies of the US passport and social security card. Even with current delays, it sounds like the passport goes much faster than the FBR (2-4 months vs. just over 27 months.)
When ID's are notarized it's best to add a declaration statement . For me it was like this:
I, ( full name on ID), declare that this is a valid, true copy of my official US passport.

Usually the notary is just stamping that it is you signing Not that the ID is true & valid. They can't do that
They can notarize a statement with your signature .Which seems to be better.

Also, I sent my passport paperwork via 1st Class mail. It's in limbo now getting through customs I assume. In hind sight I would have sent it FEDEX or via USPS & paid more for the better service. Not too concerned -it'll get there
and I have a tracking number. Should only be a few months so okay

jgclancy

Suro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Suro » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am

Update on husbands first time passport:
=======================
His Timeline for reference:
=======================
Online application : 28/10/2021
Tracking shows documents delivered: 18-11-2021
Passport processing date started: 24/11/2021
Estimated issue date: 28/01/2022
Current Status: "Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents. "

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Submitted my application back in September, status for about 6 weeks was processing application then 2 weeks ago it switched to Verifying documents but today switched back to processing application again? I've hit the magical "40 working days" estimate and expected due date is Monday, but have had no correspondence with them saying anything is wrong or missing. Anyone have this happen? I thought next step would be printing passport.

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:17 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:38 am
Angelo_2019 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm
jgclancy wrote:

Good Luck--jgclancy

When ID's are notarized it's best to add a declaration statement . For me it was like this:
I, ( full name on ID), declare that this is a valid, true copy of my official US passport.

Usually the notary is just stamping that it is you signing Not that the ID is true & valid. They can't do that
They can notarize a statement with your signature .Which seems to be better.

Also, I sent my passport paperwork via 1st Class mail. It's in limbo now getting through customs I assume. In hind sight I would have sent it FEDEX or via USPS & paid more for the better service. Not too concerned -it'll get there
and I have a tracking number. Should only be a few months so okay

jgclancy
I Don't believe you can send via FEDEX or UPS. I wanted to do that but agent said they won't deliver to a PO Box so I had to send mine USPS priority international. Supposed to take 3 days but took about 10!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:17 pm
I Don't believe you can send via FEDEX or UPS. I wanted to do that but agent said they won't deliver to a PO Box so I had to send mine USPS priority international. Supposed to take 3 days but took about 10!
Very Good. I know UPS doesn't do it due to the P.O. Box # aspect but FEDEX too now ,maybe? I remember using FEDEX to ship my FBR package to Dublin P.O Box but that was 21/2 years ago-pre-Covid too. My docs reached Dublin on Nov 7,2021 (that is now 17 days ago ). Hoping the package gets acknowledged before December LOL My FBR certificate was approved/printed in Dec of 2020 but didn't get shipped for 9 months due to shutdown .Hope I do a little better this time :)

jgclancy