ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2 year Spousal Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sairishlass
Newly Registered

2 year Spousal Visa

Post by sairishlass » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:31 am

My South African husband came to the UK with me on a spousal visa which is valid for 2 years. What, when, where and why do we have to do before it expires???

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: 2 year Spousal Visa

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

sairishlass wrote:My South African husband came to the UK with me on a spousal visa which is valid for 2 years. What, when, where and why do we have to do before it expires???
First, use the search function please, this is basic stuff and we can get a little ticked off at folks asking the same question over and over again.

It's all here.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sairishlass
Newly Registered

Post by sairishlass » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 am

I did and it wasn't bringing up anything relating to what I was asking and I'm so sorry for ticking you off....I think I'll stick to my regular forum where they are a bit more helpful!!!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:35 pm

How to win friends and influence people a master class presented by Wanderer...... :lol:

Obviously her regular forum is not THAT helpful if she has come over to this one to ask the question.

To be fair the question was a bit basic :roll:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:43 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:How to win friends and influence people a master class presented by Wanderer...... :lol:

Obviously her regular forum is not THAT helpful if she has come over to this one to ask the question.

To be fair the question was a bit basic :roll:
I did say please too!

Pisses me off tho folks that just want u to do all the work for them, almost as much as those that keep on asking the same question, or asking for more input till they get the answer they need to have.

I just hate the General Public...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

whirly

Re: 2 year Spousal Visa

Post by whirly » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:46 pm

sairishlass wrote:My South African husband came to the UK with me on a spousal visa which is valid for 2 years. What, when, where and why do we have to do before it expires???
Hi sairishlass,

What is the validity of your husband's visa - valid from when to when?

In general: before the 2 years are up, he will need to pass the Life in the UK Test. Save as many official letters and docs as you can - council tax, utility bills, rent/mortgage docs, TV licence, letters from doctors and dentist, car insurance, etc - anything with your names and addresses printed on. You will need them to support his application for ILR (*note: see below). The Home Office will be looking for evidence that you are still married and living together. Currently, they only ask for 6 docs spread over 24 months, but the quantity seems to change. When I got ILR in April, we needed to submit at least 20 docs; my husband and I prepared more than 50. You're safest if you keep as much as possible now. It can't hurt.

*Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
Currently, permanent residence is called ILR. Read more about it on the UKBA website here. However, at the end of 2009, they will change to a different system and it's anyone's guess how that will play out. Here's the HO press release. Here is just one thread on this forum discussing what this might mean. Depending on when your husband's spouse visa expires, he may or may not be caught in these changes, so stay tuned. Bookmark the UKBA website and keep your eye on this forum for more news as it happens...

Not much else we can help you with right now, but hope this points you in the right direction to get the answers you're looking for.

Good luck!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Wanderer,

You need to come and work for us!!!!
The pay is crap but it will be cathartic for you.

Recruiting now!

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/750039/i ... mView=true

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Frontier Mole on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirly

Post by whirly » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:52 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:You need to come and work for us!!!!
The pay is crap but it will be cathartic for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope you weren't referring to me, Frontier Mole! I don't think I could make a career out of navigating all the different immigration routes. It was enough for me just to understand my own path from student to spouse to ILR to citizenship :) And now the rules are changing, again...

sairishlass: apologies, I linked to page 2 of the other thread instead of page 1. Might make more sense if you start from the beginning...

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Whirly

The more the merrier - the immigration rules do not amount to much. Try an asylum claim for a challenge.

8)

sairishlass
Newly Registered

Post by sairishlass » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Thank you whirly for your helpful reply. His visa will expire in March 2010 so I'll keep an eye on the up and coming changes.

Wanderer you need to take a chill pill, you sound way too stressed out and it seems to me you like to take it out on new comers. I didn't in any way ask you to do any work for me I just asked a question and you jumped down my throat. My "regular" forum has been extremely helpful and one of the posts had this forum's website down as a place to get info so I thought I'd give it a try. I've learnt my lesson and will not stray again. Thanks from the General Public....

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Start collecting documents as suggested on the form SET(M) and its updates.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.