ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby Born in India

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Krish9
Newly Registered
India

Baby Born in India

Post by Krish9 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Hello All,

Need a bit of advise.

I am a British Citizen and my wife is Indian (dependant visa).

We are planing to have our baby in India, due to health issues and also we have a support system there, which will help us a lot.

So wanted to understand, what's the process to get the British Passport of the baby born in India.

Thanks
Krish

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Baby Born in India

Post by TODMATT » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Are you a British citizen otherwise than by descent (naturalised, born in the UK or adopted)or you are British citizen by descent(Born abroad)? This is crucial to know whether you can pass on your citizenship to your child born abroad.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Be aware that *if* you are able to pass on British citizenship to your child born in India (as mentioned by @TODMATT above),

(a) The first British passport for children born abroad can take six months to a year, and,
(b) The children of that child (your grandchildren) who are born abroad will not become British citizens automatically.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Krish9
Newly Registered
India

Post by Krish9 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks @TODMATT and @secret.simon, thanks for the responses, I am a British Citizen through Naturalisation. what application should we be filing to get the process started ? Should we apply for Indian Citizen first or can directly get the British passport ?

Thanks
Krish