ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question: ILR for a Tier 2 dependant who's now a British Citizen

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Question: ILR for a Tier 2 dependant who's now a British Citizen

Post by shoaibrehman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi guys,

I was on a Tier 2 General visa and became a British Citizen by naturalisation.

My spouse is on a Tier 2 Dependant visa and had the current extension issued via the same route even I'd already applied and switched to ILR.

Now my question is, my mrs is now qualified to apply for ILR via Tier 2 dependant route but I became a British Citizen this year so what is the application type we should use to apply for her ILR?

Here's the dates of the my spouse's previous visas:

1. From 11 Oct 2016 to 31 Aug 2017 (Less than a year as I had less than a year on my Tier 2)
2. From 04 Sep 2017 to 14 Sep 2020
3. From 30 Nov 2020 to 19 Nov 2023 (the 2 months gap is because it took UKVI this long to process the visa application due to Covid)

All these extensions have been as a Tier 2 Dependant even when I got my ILR so please advise what route should I take to apply for her ILR now that I've become a British Citizen.

Finally, is it true that as soon as my mrs receives her IRL (even with super priority); she's eligible to apply for naturalisation as I am a British Citizen now?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Question: ILR for a Tier 2 dependant who's now a British Citizen

Post by zimba » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:41 pm

The fact that you are British now is irrelevant. She can apply for ILR under the Skilled worker dependant route, as usual, using form SET(O). She can apply for naturalisation immediately when her ILR is granted
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks Zimba.

I've started the application and in the question: What is Mr X's country of nationality?, I added British Citizen (and provided the national insurance as well as the passport number) but the next question is: Mr X's current UK immigration status and Which visa is Mr X applying for or been granted?
so shall I choose Tier 2 General as that was the route to my ILR and naturalisation?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:18 pm

Yes. Their ILR is based on your previous status as Tier 2 migrant
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks Zimba.

Just one last question, I have now submitted my Mrs's ILR application and they provided a checklist which includes the following:

1. Applicant's passport & BRP
2. Degree certificate to prove the language requirements
3. Signed consent form to perform checks on the sponsor (which is myself)
4. Evidence of the applicant's status in the UK which I believe is the BRP which we're providing already

I notice that they haven't asked for any bank statements or a letter from me to confirm the sponsorship etc. Is there anything else we need to attach or just the docs from the checklist are enough?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Their ILR has nothing to do with your sponsor. You need two years of cohabitation evidence