ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Made a mistake in residency calculation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nishasn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Made a mistake in residency calculation

Post by Nishasn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 am

Hi,

I have submitted citizenship on October 2021 based on Marriage to my spouse who is an Irish citizen by naturalization. I have been away for more than 6 weeks in 2017 for about 10 weeks. While submitting the application, we overlooked to deduct 10 weeks absence from the calculator and submitted it unintentionally. However, even i would deduct i still have way more than 1095 days (3 years requirement) as I'm living in working in Ireland for last 5 years. I have recently received my passport back and acknowledgment from the citizenship office. As i have recently uncovered my mistake with the residency calculation, should i inform back to citizenship office or is it ok assuming that they would anyways recheck and update it?

Please advise as we dont have much idea to proceed it and don't know what the impact would be.

Thanks

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Re: Made a mistake in residency calculation

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 am

As per INIS residency calculator, you need to put the dates of your stamp and not holidays ( some people put holidays too in it but it's no where suggested or recommended officially).
So, after away for 10 weeks if you still meet total number of days required 'after marriage' minus 10 weeks then you are ok however in the form you still need to declare by checking the checkbox - if away for more than 6 weeks and reason in seperate sheet - if you haven't done that then it's better to write to department and explain them and ask what to do rather than waiting 2 years, it's better to have the response from them in written.
Last edited by OneWorld2122 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 am

They make check or they may not check the absences. Regardless of their approach, full record of your arrivals and departures from Ireland can be retrieved if it becomes necessary in the future. Since you applied as a husband or a wife of Irish citizen and have had 1095 days of residence on the date of application, this absence will not affect your eligibility. But It is in your interest to sent them a letter with correct history of absences, because even if you application gets processed and even approved, it will still mean that you have made a misleading statement on your application by answering "no" to the question about absences and therefore may be used as a basis to revoke the citizenship in the future.

Nishasn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Nishasn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:43 am

Thanks Vorona and Oneworld for your replies.

Yes, I have answered "Yes" to the question of more than 6 weeks in the last 5 years and I also explained the reason and immigration stamps in a separate sheet. It's just that I have not deducted those holidays of 10 weeks from the residency calculator for the year 2017 assuming it's only for stamps. Also, my application is based on marriage to Irish citizen which requires last 3 years (2018, 2019, 2020/21) and on those years I have not been away for more than 6 weeks and my residency calculation is also intact.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Nishasn wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:39 am
Hi,

I have submitted citizenship on October 2021 based on Marriage to my spouse who is an Irish citizen by naturalization. I have been away for more than 6 weeks in 2017 for about 10 weeks. While submitting the application, we overlooked to deduct 10 weeks absence from the calculator and submitted it unintentionally. However, even i would deduct i still have way more than 1095 days (3 years requirement) as I'm living in working in Ireland for last 5 years. I have recently received my passport back and acknowledgment from the citizenship office. As i have recently uncovered my mistake with the residency calculation, should i inform back to citizenship office or is it ok assuming that they would anyways recheck and update it?

Please advise as we dont have much idea to proceed it and don't know what the impact would be.

Thanks
Nishasn,

may i ask - the acknowledgement letter you received from INIS which included the return of your passport - did it include an application reference number and a payment receipt?

As you can imagine, potentially, it will be very good news if the forum learns that an applicant sent off their application in October 2021, and has already received an application reference number and a payment receipt - hence why I am asking.

Nishasn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Nishasn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi nala,

yes I did receive acknowledgement and passports and reference number back.

Thanks