ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony venue change

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Citizenship ceremony venue change

Post by PM74Juve » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Dear learned friends,

Quick query. Wife can apply for naturalisation. We are in process of buying house well over 400 miles from where we currently live.

It is entirely possible, if not probable given quick scan of timelines, that if she applied soon then we would move during the processing of the application.

I am struggling to find precise information on cost, viability and process to deal with a situation where we will want the intended venue moved and I wonder what this involves and whether the procedures are different depending on whether a decision has been taken or not at the time of informing of change address.

Any advice besides the obvious to wait until after we move (which itself will be an unpredictable timeline) to apply?

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship ceremony venue change

Post by prs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am

PM74Juve wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:15 pm
Dear learned friends,

Quick query. Wife can apply for naturalisation. We are in process of buying house well over 400 miles from where we currently live.

It is entirely possible, if not probable given quick scan of timelines, that if she applied soon then we would move during the processing of the application.

I am struggling to find precise information on cost, viability and process to deal with a situation where we will want the intended venue moved and I wonder what this involves and whether the procedures are different depending on whether a decision has been taken or not at the time of informing of change address.

Any advice besides the obvious to wait until after we move (which itself will be an unpredictable timeline) to apply?
Changing the ceremony venue is not as easy as you think...

You have to let your current council know and they will let the HO know and they will also send your certificate(s) back to the HO. And most likely HO will take another 6 months to send your certificate(s) to your new council.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:45 pm

thanks prs.... all considered I think we will just wait and apply after whenever we move

Mercy2021
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mercy2021 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 am

Hi, in my own opinion you don't have to change your venue. You can always come to your venue to do the ceremony. New or old address is not required or barrier. It's all about you, your presence. Just an opinion.

dexmo
United Kingdom

Post by dexmo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 am

PM74Juve wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:15 pm
Dear learned friends,

She can choose her council/venue when she applies, the option is there in the online application form. I have chosen mine as opposed to going with my local one, purely because my local council does one ceremony every two months whilst the one I chose does ceremonies every week. Naturalisation certificate is sent to your chosen council which also sends you the ceremony invite unless you haven't chosen one in which case certificate is automatically sent to your local.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:31 am

Mercy2021 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 am
Hi, in my own opinion you don't have to change your venue. You can always come to your venue to do the ceremony. New or old address is not required or barrier. It's all about you, your presence. Just an opinion.
A disabled person travelling a thousand miles round trip on public transport for the ceremony....

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 am

dexmo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 am
She can choose her council/venue when she applies, the option is there in the online application form. I have chosen mine as opposed to going with my local one, purely because my local council does one ceremony every two months whilst the one I chose does ceremonies every week. Naturalisation certificate is sent to your chosen council which also sends you the ceremony invite unless you haven't chosen one in which case certificate is automatically sent to your local.
Yes I was wondering about that because I've seen people report their entry was ignored and the invitation came from local authority as per their application address to their frustration. But as above... really just trying to avoid a thousand mile round trip for wife... I've seen people report timelines as short as a few weeks and so if we did apply soon ceremony could be right here. I just don't know. I think evasion is best option - perhaps wait until after move although I had really wanted to get ball rolling given all documents are in place barring the referees.

All the best with your own naturalisation!