ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home Office Requesting Ex-Husband's Details for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Anon132
Sudan

Home Office Requesting Ex-Husband's Details for Naturalisation

Post by Anon132 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi,

I joined my husband through refugee family reunion route back in 2016, since then we got our ILR and unfortunately separated but not yet legally divorced.

I have since applied for naturalisation in September and today, I've recieved an email from the Home Office requesting details about my ex-husband, as pasted below:

"We are considering your application and need further information from you. Please provide the following within 10 working days of the date of this request:

ex-spouse’s details required
If we do not receive anything within 10 days we will make a decision on the information we already have."

I'm a bit confused because I have met the criteria to apply in my own right. Also, they don't specify what exact details they need.

I hope someone can help me with this query as it'll be much appreciated.

vinny

Re: Home Office Requesting Ex-Husband's Details for Naturalisation

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am

If he’s not British, then I’m also unsure how he would affect your application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 am

Anon132 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:24 pm
Hi,

I joined my husband through refugee family reunion route back in 2016, since then we got our ILR and unfortunately separated but not yet legally divorced.

I have since applied for naturalisation in September and today, I've recieved an email from the Home Office requesting details about my ex-husband, as pasted below:

"We are considering your application and need further information from you. Please provide the following within 10 working days of the date of this request:

If we do not receive anything within 10 days we will make a decision on the information we already have."

I'm a bit confused because I have met the criteria to apply in my own right. Also, they don't specify what exact details they need.

Questions 1.32 to 1.44 on form AN are titled 'Details of your Partner'. Among other things, it also asks about any previous marriages. Did you not fill in any of these questions?

Also, he is not your ex-husband, until you are legally divorced, you are merely separated.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am

In their eyes, you are not legally divorced.

You are still together but living separately.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:31 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am
Hi Vinny,

Thank you so much for your reply. That's exactly why I'm confused too. I thought that the application would be considered in my own right.

I was on a family reunion visa (definite leave to remain) from May 2016 to Jan 2020, then ILR from Feb 2020 until now. That does cover both the 5 years and 1 year on ILR, correct?

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 am

ALKB wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 am
Anon132 wrote:
Hi,

Questions 1.32 to 1.44 on form AN are titled 'Details of your Partner'. Among other things, it also asks about any previous marriages. Did you not fill in any of these questions?

Also, he is not your ex-husband, until you are legally divorced, you are merely separated.
Hi ALKB,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I just looked back at my application, the only section to do with my marriage is "Previous Relationships" in which the question "Have you previously been married or in a civil partnership?" has been asked. I responded with a no because like you said, I'm still married and I've not married before. It didn't give me any other questions about my husband.

Is it possible that the caseworker thinks I'm legally divorced even though I clearly said "separated"?

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:43 am

prs wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am
In their eyes, you are not legally divorced.

You are still together but living separately.
Hi prs,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I agree that should be the case but their request is confusing because whether I'm legally divorced or not, I applied in my own right off the basis of being here for 5 years so my ex's details should be irrelevant.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:45 am

Anon132 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:31 am
vinny wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am
Hi Vinny,

Thank you so much for your reply. That's exactly why I'm confused too. I thought that the application would be considered in my own right.

I was on a family reunion visa (definite leave to remain) from May 2016 to Jan 2020, then ILR from Feb 2020 until now. That does cover both the 5 years and 1 year on ILR, correct?
Sorry Vinny,

I forgot to mention that my ex applied for naturalisation in July, and he got his approval in November but that was after I had already applied (September). As far as I'm concerned, he is still not British because he hasn't attended the ceremony yet which is scheduled for January. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wondering if this is the reason they asked for his details?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Section 6
(2) If, on an application for naturalisation as a British citizen made by a person of full age and capacity who on the date of the application is married to a British citizen, [F1or is the civil partner of a British citizen] the Secretary of State is satisfied that the applicant fulfils the requirements of Schedule 1 for naturalisation as such a citizen under this subsection, he may, if he thinks fit, grant to him a certificate of naturalisation as such a citizen.
fails?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:24 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm
Section 6
(2) If, on an application for naturalisation as a British citizen made by a person of full age and capacity who on the date of the application is married to a British citizen, [F1or is the civil partner of a British citizen] the Secretary of State is satisfied that the applicant fulfils the requirements of Schedule 1 for naturalisation as such a citizen under this subsection, he may, if he thinks fit, grant to him a certificate of naturalisation as such a citizen.
fails?
Hi Vinny,

Firstly, thank you so much for your efforts in helping me.

I do apologise, but I don't really understand what this section is all about. I'd appreciate it if you could explain it further, because the day I submitted the application, my husband had not recieved his approval yet so he was not a citizen.

And I'm sorry if I've taken too much of your time.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:51 am

It means that you cannot take any advantages of applying under Section 6(2) because your husband was not British on the date of your application. So, your husband’s details should be irrelevant for the purposes of Section 6(2).

Unsure what details they wanted?

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:09 pm

vinny wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:51 am
It means that you cannot take any advantages of applying under Section 6(2) because your husband was not British on the date of your application. So, your husband’s details should be irrelevant for the purposes of Section 6(2).

Unsure what details they wanted?
That's exactly what I thought. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the outcome is. I just sent them his personal details, and included his address and travel document no. just incase because as you said, I was unsure of what details they wanted.

Thank you so much for all the help Vinny 😊

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Anon132 wrote:
Hi,

Hello
If you hold ILR then your application is on your own & apparently will be successful as being separated or divorced can't have an impact on your own application.So don't worry .I think they just want to confirm your husband,s name .In many occasions they know information but like to ask applicants to get to know if applicants lie or be truthful.You provide it or not there apparently no reason to refuse you.
Good luck .

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:05 pm

London22 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm
Anon132 wrote:
Hi,

Hello
If you hold ILR then your application is on your own & apparently will be successful as being separated or divorced can't have an impact on your own application.So don't worry .I think they just want to confirm your husband,s name .In many occasions they know information but like to ask applicants to get to know if applicants lie or be truthful.You provide it or not there apparently no reason to refuse you.
Good luck .
Thank you so much London22, that brings me so much comfort.

Have a lovely evening😊