ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

withdrawing citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dolphin21
India

withdrawing citizenship application

Post by dolphin21 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:21 am

are there any requirements for withdrawing submitted naturalisation application? Do I have to provide reasons?

My country of origin does not allow dual citizenship and I am now having a rethink whether I should let go citizenship of my country of origin? So, it is only due to this that I want to rethink and then decide whether I want to apply. I have ILR and had my bio metrics done about a month ago, waiting for decision.

And if I withdraw, will it negatively impact any future citizenship application?

thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Re: withdrawing citizenship application

Post by manci » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Thanks. If I withdraw, will it negatively impact my future citizenship application or my ILR ?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:57 pm

dolphin21 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:45 pm
If I withdraw, will it negatively impact my future citizenship application or my ILR ?
No
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:43 pm

If you are having doubts, better to withdraw the application now before you become a British citizen. You will still retain your ILR, but you will lose the entire naturalisation fee, except the £80 citizenship ceremony fee, which will be refunded. No, you don't need to give reasons and it does not impact any future applications.

But keep in mind that you will need to meet the absence and physical presence requirements on the date of application for any future application anyway. And that ILR lapses automatically following any absence of more than two years from the UK.

If you become a British citizen and then renounce British citizenship, you will not fall back onto ILR, but will have no legal status to reside in the UK and would need to start your immigration journey from zero.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Thanks. This is very helpful.

I will need to decide fast since the decision might come soon.

One more question: just in case my application is approved before I cancel, in that situation, can i just not attend the ceremony. I am assuming in this situation, I would not become a British Citizen but will that cause any issues for example, with ILR, future naturalisation application?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:16 pm

Yea, you can simply not attend the ceremony. You are only British once the ceremony is complete.

It will have no effect on your ilr or future applications for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dolphin21
India

Post by dolphin21 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Thanks.

Does it matter which option we take ie withdrawing now or if the decision comes before we decide simply not attend the ceremony.

I read somewhere that not attending ceremony technically mean 'refusal' in which case could that have negative impact on ILR or future applications compared to simply withdrawing.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:22 pm

You are completely overthinking this!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.