ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JCMD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JCMD » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Valo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 pm
JCMD wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm
I have just submitted application form and documents but kicking myself for unbelievable carelessness over checking how my witness worded their statement on photocopy of state-issued id. On the page with copy of passport id the witness has written 'I (name of witness) can certify I have seen a true copy of original document' together with date and witness signature. This differs of course from the guidance to have the id provided as 'certified as a true copy of the original'. I am wondering whether to obtain a correctly worded statement from the same witness and send as a follow up to the main application but concerned this may create its own complications and may be best to leave and see if the FB Registration office see the correctly intended but wrongly worded statement to be acceptable. Grateful for any pointers or previous experience of anything similar?
I don't see how that would disadvantage you? It would be rather pedantic of them to take issue with that.
Thanks Valo. Just to be clear, do you mean you think it would be pedantic to not accept the wording used as sent, or to take issue with sending a corrected version?

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:18 pm

JCMD wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
I have just submitted application form and documents but kicking myself for unbelievable carelessness over checking how my witness worded their statement on photocopy of state-issued id. On the page with copy of passport id the witness has written 'I (name of witness) can certify I have seen a true copy of original document' together with date and witness signature. This differs of course from the guidance to have the id provided as 'certified as a true copy of the original'. I am wondering whether to obtain a correctly worded statement from the same witness and send as a follow up to the main application but concerned this may create its own complications and may be best to leave and see if the FB Registration office see the correctly intended but wrongly worded statement to be acceptable. Grateful for any pointers or previous experience of anything similar?
I don't see how that would disadvantage you? It would be rather pedantic of them to take issue with that.
Thanks Valo. Just to be clear, do you mean you think it would be pedantic to not accept the wording used as sent, or to take issue with sending a corrected version?
Tbh, I don't see how it can be an issue? Like based on the wording it is confirming that it is a true copy of the original, so.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:46 pm

JCMD wrote:
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
I think you'll be fine.

The sentences may be constructed different but they mean the same thing.

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:07 pm

TTM78 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Hello, first time poster and looking for some advice please.

I've recently received my first Irish passport (born to Irish mother) and now want to register both of my daughters on the FBR. However, the online application asks for my (the parent) Date of foreign births registration and FBR entry number. This has me stumped, as I wasn't ever entered on the FBR myself.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks
Most likely you need to change the option on the first page. It's a bit confusing, but it's relating to the category of the applicants parent, not the applicant. So you were born abroad to a parent born in ireland, meaning that's the box you tick on the form.

TTM78
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTM78 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 pm

[/quote]

Most likely you need to change the option on the first page. It's a bit confusing, but it's relating to the category of the applicants parent, not the applicant. So you were born abroad to a parent born in ireland, meaning that's the box you tick on the form.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for replying. You're right, it is confusing, but I really appreciate the help.

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:42 pm

TTM78 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Hello, first time poster and looking for some advice please.

I've recently received my first Irish passport (born to Irish mother) and now want to register both of my daughters on the FBR. However, the online application asks for my (the parent) Date of foreign births registration and FBR entry number. This has me stumped, as I wasn't ever entered on the FBR myself.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks
There is another option on the application form! I did the same when I first went to submit but then realised. You can change it on the first page of the application online. There's a line that says 'Important: Please note that this question relates to how the PARENT acquired Irish citizenship' which is you. Make sure this is 'born abroad to a parent born in ireland' rather than foreign births register.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 am

JCMD wrote:
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
It would be pedantic on their part not to accept the wording. This is why I think it shouldn't be a problem. You'll be fine. Based on the wording you've provided it still fulfils the main purpose which is to certify that it is indeed an copy of the original.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 am
JCMD wrote:
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
It would be pedantic on their part not to accept the wording. This is why I think it shouldn't be a problem. You'll be fine. Based on the wording you've provided it still fulfils the main purpose which is to certify that it is indeed an copy of the original.
Yeah don't worry. In fact, my witness only signed the back of my photos and didn't put any wording on there at all and I was still accepted onto the FBR with no questions. (I misread the instructions and forgot to ask my witness to put all those words on the back).

neemah_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by neemah_ » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:52 pm

neemah_ wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm
I thought I'd post my timeline as I've found that so helpful when other people have done that, just to get that comfort that I'm not the only one waiting, and that things do seem to be moving:

Application submitted online: 10/11/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 02/12/2019
Confirmation of address phone call: 29/11/2021
Date added to FBR: TBC
Congrats email: 08/12/2021
FBR certificate received: TBC
Just a quick update - all three of us received our congratulations email today. Certificates should now be in the post and on their way! 9 days on from the phone call, and definitely here before Christmas which is what they said on the call.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:21 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
Yeah don't worry. In fact, my witness only signed the back of my photos and didn't put any wording on there at all and I was still accepted onto the FBR with no questions. (I misread the instructions and forgot to ask my witness to put all those words on the back).
Witness only signs & dates 2 photos plus stamp/or business card. The statement part is for a copy of applicants ID NOT the photos

jgclancy

JCMD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JCMD » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:26 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:21 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
Valo wrote:
JCMD wrote:
Witness only signs & dates 2 photos plus stamp/or business card. The statement part is for a copy of applicants ID NOT the photos

jgclancy

Thanks for the helpful posts and bringing a sense of reassurance. I shall now file all the papers away and settle in for the wait. Very grateful to have found this valuable forum and good luck to all other users investigating/appyling/waiting.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi all,
I posted my application today.

I must admit the procedure and guidance isn't the clearest, but I believe I've done it correctly.

I'm very excited anyway, even if it will take two years. I'll feel much happier if/when I receive some sort of confirmation email that they've received my file.

skyhigh123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by skyhigh123 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 pm

7/11/2019 Email to let me know that my payment has been taken
25/11/2019 Email confirmation that my documents had been received
19/11/2021 Telephone call to confirm that my application was successful and checking my address
30/11/2021 Congratulations email, certificate has been posted, passport application included

8/12/2021 Certificate received Now on to passport application

skyhigh123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by skyhigh123 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 pm

In my previous post today I said that I was moving on to Irish passport application. I have successfully filled in the online process and my application has been accepted. I now have to resend ID documents including "Original passport from country of birth (if you have one)".

It is quite likely that I will need my UK passport in the next 8 weeks to travel abroad. What have people done or will do when faced with this problem?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 pm

skyhigh123 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 pm
In my previous post today I said that I was moving on to Irish passport application. I have successfully filled in the online process and my application has been accepted. I now have to resend ID documents including "Original passport from country of birth (if you have one)".

It is quite likely that I will need my UK passport in the next 8 weeks to travel abroad. What have people done or will do when faced with this problem?
Send a notarized copy of passport

jgclancy

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:22 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 pm
skyhigh123 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Send a notarized copy of passport

jgclancy
Yep that's what I did. It probably even says to send a copy of the original anyway.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rsw1010 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Hello all,

Long time lurker here and recently joined.

Just wondering if anyone who applied in Jan 2020 has received their address notification email/ certificate yet? I feel so close yet so far!

my grandmother was born in Cork to Irish parents with all the papers to prove lineage. Hoping its a straightforward case!

Thanks
:wink:

brainiacghost
United Kingdom

Post by brainiacghost » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:59 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:35 pm
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone who applied in Jan 2020 has received their address notification email/ certificate yet? I feel so close yet so far!

my grandmother was born in Cork to Irish parents with all the papers to prove lineage. Hoping its a straightforward case!

Thanks
Acording to the spreadsheet someone whose document acceptance was the 1st of Jan has had their address check on the 16th November. No one else appears to have (I'm in the same position as you, my document acceptance was Jan 10th)

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:08 pm

I noticed the expected processing time on the FBR website has updated to 2 years. I’m approaching the 2 year mark since I sent in my application (February 2020), so hopefully I receive it soon.

“Applications that have been sent to the FBR team have been securely held and will now be processed in strict date order. At present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration and the pause in the Service due to the Covid-19 restrictions you should allow approximately 2 years for processing of Foreign Birth Registration applications at this time.”

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

JJFF
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JJFF » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks
Hi,

In the same boat as you. Confirmation of application received in January 2020. Haven’t heard anything since.

Hopefully we will get some news in the next couple of months.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:10 pm

JJFF wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 pm
rsw1010 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks
Hi,

In the same boat as you. Confirmation of application received in January 2020. Haven’t heard anything since.

Hopefully we will get some news in the next couple of months.
From what was said they reopened with a phased approach, of course they didn't actual tell anyone what the phases were ...
but they were saying all along that once reopened they would be deploying extra resources to help clear the backlog of applications, so lets help that gets done soon. I'm in the similar case, application submitted 29/1, documents received 14/2/2020.

Fingers crossed it gets moving!

neemah_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by neemah_ » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Final timeline update from me (on the FBR at least!) and I'll update my entry on the spreadsheet:

Date added to FBR: 29/11/2021
FBR certificate received: 13/12/2021

Feels like a huge relief to have all documents safely back in our hands. Not sure if anyone else wants or needs this information as well but we requested all documents returned to our parents home address in the address confirmation stage. It was easiest as one of the applications had their address on it as my sister was living at home at the time. They sent all three applications back there for ease, and included the ancestry documents with one of the applications.

Onto the passport application stage we go!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

neemah_ wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:30 pm
Final timeline update from me (on the FBR at least!) and I'll update my entry on the spreadsheet:

Date added to FBR: 29/11/2021
FBR certificate received: 13/12/2021

Feels like a huge relief to have all documents safely back in our hands. Not sure if anyone else wants or needs this information as well but we requested all documents returned to our parents home address in the address confirmation stage. It was easiest as one of the applications had their address on it as my sister was living at home at the time. They sent all three applications back there for ease, and included the ancestry documents with one of the applications.

Onto the passport application stage we go!
Ah, I was wondering about this. Was it two separate things, confirmation of address and then requesting an address to post the documents and certs too? I was hoping to request that the certificate and documents be sent to my mother's address but was unsure I could as I do not live there myself and my impression was that I needed to provide proof of a new address if it changed. Can you explain what you did here? Thanks!

neemah_
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by neemah_ » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:07 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Ah, I was wondering about this. Was it two separate things, confirmation of address and then requesting an address to post the documents and certs too? I was hoping to request that the certificate and documents be sent to my mother's address but was unsure I could as I do not live there myself and my impression was that I needed to provide proof of a new address if it changed. Can you explain what you did here? Thanks!
So when we applied, myself and one sister were living away from home, with the third living at home. We did our applications from those addresses and they’re the ones printed on our certificates.

When I took the phone call from the FBR office, they were asking for me to confirm I still lived at the address I applied from. I said no, and that all three of us had actually moved but I requested that all three of the certificates and documents be returned to the address on my sister’s application as that’s my parents home address. I guess she didn’t have an issue with that as it was the address on 1 of the 3 applications? She emailed us afterwards to confirm all documents were going to be returned the address on my sister’s application, with the ancestry documents posted back with my certificate, and to let us know we’d receive a further email when the certificates had been printed and posted.

It was the easiest solution to ensure all the documents were safe on delivery. I guess you can always ask the question once you’re contacted by them?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:41 pm

neemah_ wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:07 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

So when we applied, myself and one sister were living away from home, with the third living at home. We did our applications from those addresses and they’re the ones printed on our certificates.

When I took the phone call from the FBR office, they were asking for me to confirm I still lived at the address I applied from. I said no, and that all three of us had actually moved but I requested that all three of the certificates and documents be returned to the address on my sister’s application as that’s my parents home address. I guess she didn’t have an issue with that as it was the address on 1 of the 3 applications? She emailed us afterwards to confirm all documents were going to be returned the address on my sister’s application, with the ancestry documents posted back with my certificate, and to let us know we’d receive a further email when the certificates had been printed and posted.

It was the easiest solution to ensure all the documents were safe on delivery. I guess you can always ask the question once you’re contacted by them?
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll see when they contact me, I applied Jan 2020 so I prob have another month or two.
My situation is that my wife and I are renting a place until July 15, so I'm hesitant to use this address not knowing how long it would take to post the cert. If I give my mother's address I can be sure that it's delivered safely, as she's not moving anywhere.

I'll see what they say.