ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AshtroBanana
Newly Registered
United States of America

Confused

Post by AshtroBanana » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 am

I am turning 18 soon and I have been talking to my friend that lives in the UK about moving in with them for a while now. I've tried to look up immigration laws, student visas and everything like that but it's just all very confusing for me as I have never really had to learn about immigration laws before. My friend and I think it will benefit us both to be able to live together and be able to help provide for each other and be there for each other easier in person. It would be wonderful if someone could explain the immigration laws and if it's even possible for me to immigrate to the UK. I was born in the US and I do not have much to show, I don't have a degree yet nor the money to pay for one, so if I did do a student visa, I'd have to try a scholarship or take out a loan. Please help explain it easier than the internet if you can, thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Confused

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:13 am

Maybe start by just visiting? https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
UK immigration law is complex - a simple explanation is difficult.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 am

For a Student visa, you will need to arrange your finance from the US. You will need to be sponsored for a visa by UK university on the course you want: as you will pay international fees, it won't be that hard to find a sponsor. There is a limited amount of time that you can work as an international student. The visa does not lead to citizenship.
https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

If you decide to visit the UK, you cannot work and will have to pay the NHS at point of use. The UK government recommends that health insurance is taken out before visiting, to be able to reclaim any money paid to the NHS. You will need enough money to cover your visit.

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm

is your friend your partner as well? if so, there are other doors that could be opened for you.

AshtroBanana
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by AshtroBanana » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:35 am

prs wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm
is your friend your partner as well? if so, there are other doors that could be opened for you.
We are not partners, we have both basically agreed that a long distance relationship will not benefit either of us so we are waiting until we can gather the money to be able to, in the least, visit each other.