ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I a British citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ImNotVeryBright
Newly Registered
United States of America

Am I a British citizen?

Post by ImNotVeryBright » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm

My father was born in the UK in 1963 in the town of Chipping-Norton to an English mother and American father. He was still very very young when they emigrated to the United States, and as far as I am aware he never returned to the UK. Does this qualify me as a British citizen by descent? If so I have a few questions about the process to acquire a passport.

secret.simon

Re: Am I a British citizen?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Provided your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth, then, yes, you would be a British citizen by descent.

You can apply directly for a British passport with your father's British birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and your birth certificate.

Be aware that your children will not automatically be British citizens, unless they are born in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ImNotVeryBright
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ImNotVeryBright » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:02 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm
Provided your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth, then, yes, you would be a British citizen by descent.

You can apply directly for a British passport with your father's British birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and your birth certificate.

Be aware that your children will not automatically be British citizens, unless they are born in the UK.
I don't actually have anyone to act as a countersignatory/confirm my identity, as I do not know anyone who is not very distant family relations who lives in the UK. That was gonna be one of my questions about the passport application process.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:55 pm

I am afraid I am not able to answer that question, but some of our members from the US, such as @sunburn may be able to help when they next log in.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ImNotVeryBright
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ImNotVeryBright » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:55 pm
I am afraid I am not able to answer that question, but some of our members from the US, such as @sunburn may be able to help when they next log in.
How often is that user on? Should I call a local embassy and ask, do you think they'd know?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:33 am

ImNotVeryBright wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:02 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm

I don't actually have anyone to act as a countersignatory/confirm my identity, as I do not know anyone who is not very distant family relations who lives in the UK. That was gonna be one of my questions about the passport application process.
I think a countersignatory would just need to confirm your identity? They may be US citizens. You would also have to provide the evidence for your British citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:07 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:55 pm
You don’t need anyone in the UK as a countersignatory . Mine were a US army captain and a realtor . In my view, this amounts to something that’s not really anywhere near a deal breaker for US based folks - just find someone who holds some kind of professional title somewhat aligned to the requirement .

My passport photo signatory was the same realtor .

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:19 pm

ImNotVeryBright wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:02 pm
You might know more people than you think. Mine was a neighbor, who a care worker, and the priest from our church. Don't immediately discount anybody.