ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possible British Citizenship (Born to British Mother after 1983)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

muk91
Newly Registered
South Africa

Possible British Citizenship (Born to British Mother after 1983)

Post by muk91 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:22 am

Hi everyone,

Perhaps somebody can shed light on my situation. I was born in South Africa in 1991 to a British mother. She is British by descent as she was born in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) in 1956. I believe at the time it was Southern Rhodesia? It all gets a bit complicated...

Both her parents were born in the UK and moved to Rhodesia a couple years prior to her birth. Her father (my grandfather) worked as an architect for the local government (something equivalent to the Department of Public Works ie. designing public buildings etc.)

As far as I can tell, I would qualify for citizenship if my UK born grandfather worked in the Crown Service at the time of my mother's birth (1956). My question is whether his job as a government architect would likely qualify as having worked in the Crown Service?

It seems to be a bit of a grey area. Some things I've read say that it's only governors or other high-level officials that would be classified as Crown Service workers while other info says that all government workers (specifically in Rhodesia) would have qualified as such. I know Rhodesia's independence from the UK

Does anybody have a similar situation or does anybody know of a successful citizenship application under similar circumstances? Thanks in advance!

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Re: Possible British Citizenship (Born to British Mother after 1983)

Post by prs » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:38 am

I believe the government architect is a Civil Service.

muk91
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by muk91 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:53 am

prs wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:38 am
I believe the government architect is a Civil Service.
I think the biggest issue with this then would be proving it. I have no idea how to go about proving his employment with the Crown Service! (if it does indeed qualify)

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 am

Perhaps any type of official payslips, government letters etc?

muk91
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by muk91 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:28 am

prs wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 am
Perhaps any type of official payslips, government letters etc?
Thanks, I'll have to do some digging

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:27 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:58 pm

By reference to The South African's website

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/lifesty ... tionality/

Rhodesia and British citizenship: Could you have a claim to British nationality?

Up until 12 September 1923, Southern Rhodesia was treated as a foreign country with extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) by the UK government. Thereafter, Rhodesia formed part of the Crown Dominions and became an independent Commonwealth country for British nationality purposes from 1949 onwards (though it was treated more like a British colony). The territory continued in this fashion through the Federal Rhodesia period in the 1950s and the 1960s (even after the Unilateral Declaration of Independence), up until its independence in 1980.

This means that you (or your children) may be eligible for British nationality if you have a UK-born grandparent or great-grandparent. These are some of the ways you may be eligible for British citizenship:
If you were born after 1982 and a UK-born grandfather worked in Crown Service (including many roles within the civil service or local domestic government in Rhodesia).

Your UK born grandfather worked as an architect in the PWD (public works department) in Southern Rhodesia at the time of your mother's birth in 1956 so it seems that on the basis of the above you may well have a claim to British citizenship.

Try to obtain some documentary evidence of your grandfather's employment at the time.

Once you have this you could apply to the Home Office for a confirmation of your British citizenship and see what they decide.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-form-ns
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:40 am

manci wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:58 pm
Try to obtain some documentary evidence of your grandfather's employment at the time.

Once you have this you could apply to the Home Office for a confirmation of your British citizenship and see what they decide.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-form-ns
Probably a waste of money to apply for confirmation of British citizenship?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:55 am

muk91 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:53 am
I have no idea how to go about proving his employment with the Crown Service!
In the first instance try contacting the Ministry of Local Government and Public Works in Zimbabwe http://www.mlg.gov.zw/
Address: J5QX+XCP, Chinhoyi, Zimbabwe
E-mail: pr@mlg.gov.zw
Phone: +263 242 - 756571
As your granddad was an architect suggest writing to the current Chief Architect, may be he can help.
There is also an online government enquiry service but not sure if it works
https://zimeservices.pfms.gov.zw/irj/portal/anonymous
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice