ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for Irish Foreign Births & passport, move to UK with Non-EEA family

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Apply for Irish Foreign Births & passport, move to UK with Non-EEA family

Post by Abarthturbo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:52 pm

Hi,

I am enquiring on behalf of a family member.

Grandfather born in Dublin 1917 to British father and Irish mother.
Lived in England and has British passport(citizenship by decent)
Moved to South Africa pre 1950, marries South African and remained there.
Had 2 children son and daughter(born 1951) who holds South African citizenship.
We understand that they can apply for Irish passport as they are Irish by birth.

The daughter(1951) has several children and non were registered in the Irish foreign births register.
Her son born in South Africa in 1983 who has South African citizenship would like to register his birth and then apply for Irish passport.
He is also eligible to apply for a UK ancestry visa.

He has not lived in Ireland or the UK before and his plan is to live and work in the UK with his wife and 2 children(under 18).

If he opts for the Irish passport route and is successful, what visa is needed for his wife and 2 children?
Also is there anything further he needs other than his Irish passport?

Thanking in advance for your advice.

secret.simon

Re: Apply for Irish Foreign Births & passport, move to UK with Non-EEA family

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:34 pm

If he acquires Irish citizenship and moves to the UK, he will need to meet all the same requirements (£18,600 annual income, English language test for spouse, etc) as a British citizen in the same situation.

I believe that the visa requirements for the dependants of an Ancestry visa holder are simpler and less restrictive. But I have no knowledge of the details on that front. So wait for others to comment.

It may be better if he applies for Ancestry visas for himself and his dependants, arrives in the UK and then applies for Irish citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:42 pm

Also note, that FBR applications are currently taking around 2 years. Plan accordingly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Post by Abarthturbo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks all for your advice, I will pass the information on and most likely he will go the UK ancestry route.