ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Partner is born UK citizen without passport

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

ILR - Partner is born UK citizen without passport

Post by mjrmantastic » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm

My wife's applying for ILR in the next couple of weeks. She's been in UK with further leave to remain on the 5 year family route to citizenship.

I am a British citizen from birth to British parents (also British from birth) as were their parents and so on from time immemorial. My passport is expired (since July 2020).

I have to show my citizenship status for my wife's application. The online form said we'll have to provide evidence of my settled status in the UK and that...
This should be your partner’s current passport or travel document. You may send
copies instead of the original document if you are applying on a partner 2-year or 5-
year route. Every page of the passport must be copied including any blank pages.

If your partner has an EEA right to reside in the UK permanently, you must provide
their valid document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card.

If you are unable to provide your partner's travel document and your partner is a
British citizen, you must provide the full birth certificate for mjrmantastic showing
parents' names, accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of
ordinary residence in the UK for the last 3 years.

If you are unable to provide your partner's travel document and your partner is not a
British citizen, you must provide a Home Office letter or other document showing Mr
Jack Black has been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK,
accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of ordinary
residence in the UK for the last 3 years.

Evidence of ordinary residence for the last 3 years includes:
  • notice of income tax coding
  • driving licence
  • building society
  • savings books
  • bank statements
  • National Insurance or National Health Service registration issued by the
    Department for Work and Pensions or a local health authority
Initially I was planning on submitting my birth certificate and my driving licence (re-issued in October when we moved house).

However, elsewhere (another forum) I was told:
- if you were born after 1st Jan 1983, you also need proof of your parents' immigration and marital status on the day you were born
And they advised providing bank statements covering the whole 3 year period.

I also saw on Gov's website that to get your first adult UK passport you have to supply.
You’ll need your full birth certificate or adoption certificate and either:
  • your mother’s or father’s full UK birth certificate, or the Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or a British passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born, or a British passport number for either parent
  • evidence of one of your parents’ immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth, for example a foreign passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born
If you send documents relating to your father, you must also send your parents’ marriage certificate.
And I've have used this as a guide to what documentation would be sufficient to prove my status.

Now we're planning to submit:
  • My full birth certificate
  • My driving licence
  • Bank statements from Jan 2019 through to Dec 2021 spaced every 6 months and with the most recent being issued within 28 days of when we planned to apply.
  • My mum's full birth certificate
  • My dad's short birth certificate
  • My parent's marriage certificate (was before I was born)
  • My mum's current passport vignette
  • My dad's current passport vignette
  • My expired passport vignette
The last three are being provided for the passport numbers that Home Office can (I am assuming) use to check citizenship status, particularly for my parents' passports given that Home Office request this when applying for a first passport.

I'll also add that I've sent off for my expired passport to be renewed (sent the old one today) in wild hopes that it'll come through before the window in which it is otherwise most convenient for us to apply passes.

Now we've gone from just planing to submit my birth certificate and driving licence (as the online application suggests) to a whole load of documentation on the basis of another's advice.

Can anyone else chip in and sense check what I'm planning to submit here and suggest what is sufficient and what is inadvisable/unnecessary?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR - Partner is born UK citizen without passport

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm

mjrmantastic wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm
My wife's applying for ILR in the next couple of weeks. She's been in UK with further leave to remain on the 5 year family route to citizenship.

I am a British citizen from birth to British parents (also British from birth) as were their parents and so on from time immemorial. My passport is expired (since July 2020).

I have to show my citizenship status for my wife's application. The online form said we'll have to provide evidence of my settled status in the UK and that...
This should be your partner’s current passport or travel document. You may send
copies instead of the original document if you are applying on a partner 2-year or 5-
year route. Every page of the passport must be copied including any blank pages.

If your partner has an EEA right to reside in the UK permanently, you must provide
their valid document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card.

If you are unable to provide your partner's travel document and your partner is a
British citizen, you must provide the full birth certificate for mjrmantastic showing
parents' names, accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of
ordinary residence in the UK for the last 3 years.

If you are unable to provide your partner's travel document and your partner is not a
British citizen, you must provide a Home Office letter or other document showing Mr
Jack Black has been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK,
accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of ordinary
residence in the UK for the last 3 years.

Evidence of ordinary residence for the last 3 years includes:
  • notice of income tax coding
  • driving licence
  • building society
  • savings books
  • bank statements
  • National Insurance or National Health Service registration issued by the
    Department for Work and Pensions or a local health authority
Initially I was planning on submitting my birth certificate and my driving licence (re-issued in October when we moved house).

However, elsewhere (another forum) I was told:
- if you were born after 1st Jan 1983, you also need proof of your parents' immigration and marital status on the day you were born
And they advised providing bank statements covering the whole 3 year period.

I also saw on Gov's website that to get your first adult UK passport you have to supply.
You’ll need your full birth certificate or adoption certificate and either:
  • your mother’s or father’s full UK birth certificate, or the Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or a British passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born, or a British passport number for either parent
  • evidence of one of your parents’ immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth, for example a foreign passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born
If you send documents relating to your father, you must also send your parents’ marriage certificate.
And I've have used this as a guide to what documentation would be sufficient to prove my status.

Now we're planning to submit:
  • My full birth certificate
  • My driving licence
  • Bank statements from Jan 2019 through to Dec 2021 spaced every 6 months and with the most recent being issued within 28 days of when we planned to apply.
  • My mum's full birth certificate
  • My dad's short birth certificate
  • My parent's marriage certificate (was before I was born)
  • My mum's current passport vignette
  • My dad's current passport vignette
  • My expired passport vignette
The last three are being provided for the passport numbers that Home Office can (I am assuming) use to check citizenship status, particularly for my parents' passports given that Home Office request this when applying for a first passport.

I'll also add that I've sent off for my expired passport to be renewed (sent the old one today) in wild hopes that it'll come through before the window in which it is otherwise most convenient for us to apply passes. It gets renewed in about 3wks( ref to several persons who applied in first week Dec 2021 and got new one from HMPO BTW 22nd to 23rd Dec 2021.

Now we've gone from just planing to submit my birth certificate and driving licence (as the online application suggests) to a whole load of documentation on the basis of another's advice.

Can anyone else chip in and sense check what I'm planning to submit here and suggest what is sufficient and what is inadvisable/unnecessary?

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR - Partner is born UK citizen without passport

Post by mjrmantastic » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:20 pm

We want to apply before a week next Saturday otherwise it's more than 28 days from last pay day so not confident the passport will arrive in time. Need to understand what my plan B is.