ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gmj1892
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by gmj1892 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:23 am

jgclancy wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:12 pm
gmj1892 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:40 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for FBR through an Irish grandparent. I can either apply through my grandmother or grandfather, but I don't have a copy of their marriage certificate.

Is this needed if there's not been a name change? I'm wondering if applying through my grandfather (no name change) without the marriage certificate would be a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg
You could make out an affidavit explaining this problem. Make sure to notarize it (or better -get it done by a lawyer if possible.)
Do you know any details on when & where they were married?

jgclancy
Thanks for your reply. We know some of the details (location, year) but not the actual date. One of our relatives says she might have a divorce certificate - would that be an acceptable alternative?

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:48 pm

Good afternoon (or morning, evening, etc depending on where you are in the world) everyone!
Finally... it has happened. I have received email confirmation that my application has been successfully approved, and asked for address confirmation. This means:
Application submitted online: 28/09/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 03/10/2019
Address confirmation email: 4/1/2022
A stunning 824 day wait.

So pleased! I was handled by team 8, for anyone curious. When I saw the email in my inbox my brain had a temporary blip, I had no idea what the FBR referenced in the subject line was!
The eagle-eyed amongst you may remember my posts in late Summer 2021, when I was merely "babyhalloween". However, my log in no longer works and my email receives no password reset emails, so I made a new account. On the excel spreadsheet tracking dates I will still list under babyhalloween for the sake of continuity, but I thought I would explain just in case anyone remembers my previous posts.

A lovely start to the new year! I will update when I have received my certificate!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 am

gmj1892 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:23 am
jgclancy wrote:
gmj1892 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for FBR through an Irish grandparent. I can either apply through my grandmother or grandfather, but I don't have a copy of their marriage certificate.

Is this needed if there's not been a name change? I'm wondering if applying through my grandfather (no name change) without the marriage certificate would be a problem.

You could make out an affidavit explaining this problem. Make sure to notarize it (or better -get it done by a lawyer if possible.)

jgclancy
Thanks for your reply. We know some of the details (location, year) but not the actual date. One of our relatives says she might have a divorce certificate - would that be an acceptable alternative?
You could include an affidavit (notarized) explaining the missing document and include the divorce papers. More is always better. Keep searching for the marriage though-Facebook has groups that help if you know the general area & year of marriage. It will be awhile until they process your application & IF you find it you can send it later.

jgclancy

NYmph10927
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by NYmph10927 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:56 am

babyhalloween2 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:48 pm
Good afternoon (or morning, evening, etc depending on where you are in the world) everyone!
Finally... it has happened. I have received email confirmation that my application has been successfully approved, and asked for address confirmation. This means:
Application submitted online: 28/09/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 03/10/2019
Address confirmation email: 4/1/2022
A stunning 824 day wait.

So pleased! I was handled by team 8, for anyone curious. When I saw the email in my inbox my brain had a temporary blip, I had no idea what the FBR referenced in the subject line was!
The eagle-eyed amongst you may remember my posts in late Summer 2021, when I was merely "babyhalloween". However, my log in no longer works and my email receives no password reset emails, so I made a new account. On the excel spreadsheet tracking dates I will still list under babyhalloween for the sake of continuity, but I thought I would explain just in case anyone remembers my previous posts.

A lovely start to the new year! I will update when I have received my certificate!
Congratulations! I hope I am right behind you in the pile (email acknowledgement 6 days after you).

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:48 am

NYmph10927 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:56 am
Congratulations! I hope I am right behind you in the pile (email acknowledgement 6 days after you).
Thank you! I am sure that you will be. I saw that PlasticPaddyWagon was approved on the 29th December and he had his email acknowledging receipt of documents a day before I did in 2019. So, if you're a little way behind me, it shouldn't be too long for you. My fingers are crossed for you!
:D

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:49 pm

This has probably been answered before but I am submitting applications for 2 daughters. Is it ok to to put just 1 copy of the common documents needed for both (Grandmother's documents and parent documents) in one pile to be used by both daughter's? I have a 3 part folder with each daughter's applications and specific forms needed by them and will have the 3rd section for the common info needed as well as cover letter explaining.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:09 pm

So I sent my documents away on the 29th to Dublin via Royal Mail 1st class tracked. The last update was on the 31st of December when it says "item leaving the UK". It's now the 5th of January and no update since. A link on the Royal Mail tracker shows me the local Irish postal service but on that, it says that they haven't received my parcel yet. Should I be worried? I feel it might be stuck in customs somewhere but surely it doesn't take that long to get something processed especially when it's only across the Irish sea?

SimonPLoynes
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SimonPLoynes » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm

What an amazing thread!

I've tried to find the answer to my question by searching the thread, but can't see anything quite concrete. As such:

Does anyone know if the queue is ordered by date of application 'submitted', i.e., via online and payment made OR by when supporting documents were received?

I hope it is the former, as I submitted my application in Feb 2021, held off sending documents like we were told to do, and just received confirmation of receipt of documents today (sent just before Christmas)! It would seem rather unfair if those who ignored the advice not to send got in first, and moreover, surely it's much more work to see order of submission via postal dates, as opposed to online receipts. But I suspect logic might not have much to do w/ it looking at this, slightly scary, thread.

THANKS for any help!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:45 pm

SimonPLoynes wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm
What an amazing thread!

I've tried to find the answer to my question by searching the thread, but can't see anything quite concrete. As such:

Does anyone know if the queue is ordered by date of application 'submitted', i.e., via online and payment made OR by when supporting documents were received?

I hope it is the former, as I submitted my application in Feb 2021, held off sending documents like we were told to do, and just received confirmation of receipt of documents today (sent just before Christmas)! It would seem rather unfair if those who ignored the advice not to send got in first, and moreover, surely it's much more work to see order of submission via postal dates, as opposed to online receipts. But I suspect logic might not have much to do w/ it looking at this, slightly scary, thread.

THANKS for any help!
Clock starts when they receive documents NOT when you apply online

jgclancy

SimonPLoynes
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SimonPLoynes » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm

thank you, disappointing of course!

ulysses31
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ulysses31 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:01 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:09 pm
So I sent my documents away on the 29th to Dublin via Royal Mail 1st class tracked. The last update was on the 31st of December when it says "item leaving the UK". It's now the 5th of January and no update since. A link on the Royal Mail tracker shows me the local Irish postal service but on that, it says that they haven't received my parcel yet. Should I be worried? I feel it might be stuck in customs somewhere but surely it doesn't take that long to get something processed especially when it's only across the Irish sea?
Don't worry too much about this. I sent my papers in support of a passport application during December and the letter has only just arrived despite supposedly leaving the UK over two weeks ago. There was no further report until it turned up with An Post, and then it was quickly delivered. Better late than never!

ulysses31
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ulysses31 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm

gmj1892 wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
gmj1892 wrote:
Hi everyone,

jgclancy
I assume you're UK-based, and if the marriage took place in Ireland or the UK then it's really easy to order a replacement marriage certificate from the relevant General Register Office, which would make your FBR application complete. It's up to you whether to send the application now without it but, if you do, you should state why in a covering letter and what you are doing to obtain the missing certificate, which you would send as soon as possible.

For the UK, check out https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate and for Ireland, https://www.gov.ie/en/service/124a70-ap ... tificates/. If the marriage in question took place in England & Wales before 1983, you should find the index number straight away on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ so you can order a certificate from E&W GRO for the lowest price of £11.

You don't have to have the index number or even exact details but it's better if you can narrow it down, especially if the names are common. In this case, the divorce papers would help your research because they will provide the exact date and location of the marriage (Courts would normally see the marriage certificate anyway). Unfortunately, based on what I've seen of an England & Wales Decree Absolute for divorce (for a family member), it only states the former spouses' current names, when and where the marriage was solemnised, and declares that said marriage is dissolved. It doesn't even state the dates of birth. It therefore doesn't provide all the information that you'd find on the relevant marriage certificate.

The FBR office's processes are a mystery to us all but I think they require marriage certificates in support of the authentic link between the Irish citizen born in Ireland (i.e. at least one grandparent), your own parents and yourself. Whether your surname is the same as your grandparent's name or not, the combination of marriage and birth certificates explains why each person name is as it is, changed or not, and links you all together in the right order (e.g. a UK long-form birth certificate always states the mother's maiden name as well as her married name if applicable). Even if there had never been a marriage, the names on each birth certificate would still be consistent and, in the past, the father's name would only be recorded if married.

If none of this works out then your last resort probably would then be, as jgclancy suggests, a sworn affidavit stating that you have exhausted all other options and supplied what you can. An example of this might be for a very old or unusual marriage, perhaps because it took place at sea or in state that doesn't exist anymore or won't provide replacement certificates.

You'll have to pay a fee for this (any solicitor for £7) anyway so you might as well get the marriage certificate.

Big Boss Man
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:21 pm

SimonPLoynes wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm
thank you, disappointing of course!
My timeline is exactly the same as yours, and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking, and thanks to jgclancy for answering!

FBR emailed me confirmation that they received the documents on the same day that the U.S. Postal Service texted me that delivery was complete. Hopefully that means they are getting a little faster!

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:33 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:09 pm
I sent mine on 22/12, same method. It only arrived in Dublin yesterday.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 am

Interesting to note, DFA message on FBR page has changed and now reads,

"The Passport Service advises that in light of the Omicron variant, contingency measures are in place to ensure full service. Foreign Birth Registration is open. The Passport Service advises that FBR processes are being kept under review in line with public health advice."

I assume this is meant to confirm that they are not pausing FBR again at the moment? Am I reading that right?
It's a very strangely worded statement to me, specifically the last line.

Other opinions?

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 am

Sounds like they're keeping it under review as the situation develops. As it stands, it remains open but if situation was to worsen could potentially close again.

Tumbledwyer
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Tumbledwyer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:01 am

ulysses31 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm
gmj1892 wrote:
jgclancy wrote:
gmj1892 wrote:
Hi everyone,

jgclancy
I assume you're UK-based, and if the marriage took place in Ireland or the UK then it's really easy to order a replacement marriage certificate from the relevant General Register Office, which would make your FBR application complete. It's up to you whether to send the application now without it but, if you do, you should state why in a covering letter and what you are doing to obtain the missing certificate, which you would send as soon as possible.

For the UK, check out https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate and for Ireland, https://www.gov.ie/en/service/124a70-ap ... tificates/. If the marriage in question took place in England & Wales before 1983, you should find the index number straight away on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ so you can order a certificate from E&W GRO for the lowest price of £11.

You don't have to have the index number or even exact details but it's better if you can narrow it down, especially if the names are common. In this case, the divorce papers would help your research because they will provide the exact date and location of the marriage (Courts would normally see the marriage certificate anyway). Unfortunately, based on what I've seen of an England & Wales Decree Absolute for divorce (for a family member), it only states the former spouses' current names, when and where the marriage was solemnised, and declares that said marriage is dissolved. It doesn't even state the dates of birth. It therefore doesn't provide all the information that you'd find on the relevant marriage certificate.

The FBR office's processes are a mystery to us all but I think they require marriage certificates in support of the authentic link between the Irish citizen born in Ireland (i.e. at least one grandparent), your own parents and yourself. Whether your surname is the same as your grandparent's name or not, the combination of marriage and birth certificates explains why each person name is as it is, changed or not, and links you all together in the right order (e.g. a UK long-form birth certificate always states the mother's maiden name as well as her married name if applicable). Even if there had never been a marriage, the names on each birth certificate would still be consistent and, in the past, the father's name would only be recorded if married.

If none of this works out then your last resort probably would then be, as jgclancy suggests, a sworn affidavit stating that you have exhausted all other options and supplied what you can. An example of this might be for a very old or unusual marriage, perhaps because it took place at sea or in state that doesn't exist anymore or won't provide replacement certificates.

You'll have to pay a fee for this (any solicitor for £7) anyway so you might as well get the marriage certificate.
Came here to say exactly this re GRO. I had only some of my grandparents' marriage details: I had names and date but uncertain location in England) and was able to locate them easily via the GRO. Copy certificate took maybe 10 days/2 weeks to arrive from memory?

I misunderstood the need for marriage certs so sent my application in without them (applying via father and grandparents so surname is consistent down the line, plus braincells not firing in pandemic!). Now have the copies safe here ready to send off once my file is at the top of the pile and (I hope) I'm asked about what's missing. I thought about sending them in meantime but given I'm way down the pile it seems safer to keep them here.

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:49 pm
This has probably been answered before but I am submitting applications for 2 daughters. Is it ok to to put just 1 copy of the common documents needed for both (Grandmother's documents and parent documents) in one pile to be used by both daughter's? I have a 3 part folder with each daughter's applications and specific forms needed by them and will have the 3rd section for the common info needed as well as cover letter explaining.
I asked this question not long ago. If you start on page 170 of this thread, you'll see my question and the responses. Lots of good ideas for consolidation!

riazzetti
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by riazzetti » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 pm

Hi all, I'm helping a friend of mine get her documents together. For the birth certificate requirements, is it enough to have the parent's names? Or do you need the parents ages and/or birthdates? Thank you and appreciate the help.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:55 pm

riazzetti wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 pm
Hi all, I'm helping a friend of mine get her documents together. For the birth certificate requirements, is it enough to have the parent's names? Or do you need the parents ages and/or birthdates? Thank you and appreciate the help.
Different countries have different birth certs. In UK the parents names and place of birth are noted (after 1970s I believe) Before that time only parents names are noted.

NYmph10927
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by NYmph10927 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:30 pm

At long last, I received that welcome confirmation of address email this morning. It has been 830 days since I made the online application on the 1st of October 2019 (822 since it was received in Ireland). I am just hoping that Omicron doesn't put yet another hold on operations there.

zelli
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zelli » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi everyone. Looking for some expert help from the fine people of this forum. First question - I sent in an application in February 2020. I never got confirmation of received documents, only that the application fee had been paid. Is this cause to worry?

Second question - assuming all is well with my Feb 2020 application, and seeing that people recently are reporting 820-830 days from online application to confirmation of address, does that mean I am looking more at a May 2022 date for getting on the FBR or is Feb 2022 still on the cards?

I am a British citizen planning to move to Brussels in July 2022 - I’d like to be an Irish citizen by that point for ease of settling. Wondering how likely that will be given current timing to get through the FBR system…

babyhalloween2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by babyhalloween2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:06 pm

NYmph10927 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:30 pm
At long last, I received that welcome confirmation of address email this morning. It has been 830 days since I made the online application on the 1st of October 2019 (822 since it was received in Ireland). I am just hoping that Omicron doesn't put yet another hold on operations there.
Congrats! I was hoping you would be posting good news soon. :D

Adelesan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adelesan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:24 pm

Final update from me:
Applied: Aug 20th 2019
Docs received: Aug 27th 2019
Confirmation of address phonecall: 10th Dec 2021
Confirmation of FBR registration approval email: 23 Dec 2021
Certificate and original documents received by post: 07 Jan 2022
871 days wait in total

When I applied it was predicted it would take 1 year, then there were updates saying they had brought in more staff and it would take about 6 months. Then Covid came along! But it is reassuring to know that the documents weren't lost, the process went through eventually. and I am now officially Irish! Off to apply for my passport now!
This forum has been so helpful particularly in giving reassurance that my paperwork hadn't been lost. Remember, if you get a phone call from Ireland, answer it!
Good luck to everyone on here!

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:38 pm

Congrats on your Journey coming to an end. I currently live in Canada and i'm starting to get a bit concerned about my FBR documents they said my documents were shipped from Dublin on Dec. 15 and according to the tracking number that is the last update.

Has this ever happened to anyone before and if so what did you do to fix the issue?