ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving partners settled status without passport - ILR (SET(M))

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Proving partners settled status without passport - ILR (SET(M))

Post by mjrmantastic » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:06 am

Wife's a US citizen imminently applying for ILR on the 5-year route to citizenship.

I am a British citizen from birth (born 1990) as are all my parents and their parents etc. (there's noone in living memory who wasn't).

I don't have a valid British passport (current one is expired). I need to otherwise prove that I am a British citizen and settled in the UK for my wife's application.

PLEASE DO NOT ADVISE ME TO RENEW/APPLY FOR A PASSPORT - I'VE ALREADY APPLIED TO RENEW IT BUT I NEED A SOLID PLAN B IF IT DOESN'T COME IN TIME

Currently I've assembled the following which I could submit as evidence of my status:

- My full birth certificate
- My driving licence (issued Oct 2021)
- 3 years of bank statements spaced 6 months between each
- Mum's full birth certificate
- Dad's short birth certificate
- Their marriage certificate (dated before I was born)
- Mum's current passport vignette
- Dad's current passport vignette
- My expired passport vignette (bearing in mind this is now with the Passport office for renewal)

Please could anyone advise on what I should or should not submit (as an alternative to a valid British passport), including any advise on whether a cover letter would be recommended and its content if so?

The online application advises:
If you are unable to provide your partner's travel document and your partner is a
British citizen, you must provide the full birth certificate for mjrmantastic showing
parents' names, accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of
ordinary residence in the UK for the last 3 years.

Evidence of ordinary residence for the last 3 years includes:
- notice of income tax coding
- driving licence
- building society
- savings books
- bank statements
- National Insurance or National Health Service registration issued by the
- Department for Work and Pensions or a local health authority
But I've been told that a birth certificate and driving licence (my original plan) would not be sufficient.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Proving partners settled status without passport - ILR (SET(M))

Post by manci » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 pm

mjrmantastic wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:06 am
But I've been told that a birth certificate and driving licence (my original plan) would not be sufficient
Told by who?
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

mjrmantastic
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mjrmantastic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:12 am

Someone on another immigration forum.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:46 am

I see no reason why not to follow the instructions on the online form. Additionally, upload the bio page from your expired passport

In the Additional Information section at the end of the online form, or in a cover letter if there is no such section, note that the uploaded passport has expired and renewal is in progress.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice