ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Score card, address matching and bank accounts.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

the46A
Newly Registered
Ireland

Score card, address matching and bank accounts.

Post by the46A » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 pm

What are the implications of my GNIB not matching my rental/utilities address.

Also what is the difference between a current a/c and a credit card why are they on different parts of the scorecard?

Will they accept Revolut instead of the credit card.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Re: Score card, address matching and bank accounts.

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm

Try not to worry too much. Moving to different addresses, if renting is VERY common.

You may not have kept GNIB up to date of your address (if required) . You may have tried to contact them by email etc to keep them or ISD up to date but they lost it (it can happen)

Bear in mind, especially in the last few years of landlords acting terribly with tenants, rubbish or unsuitable housing conditions, difficulty in finding suitable and cheaper rent etc

Just set out all of the addresses and timelines, and provide the essentials like bank statements for the full period (people often forget to update their bank as to their up to date addresses when they change them , but some may)

Try and get the PRTB letters for the places that you stay longer - I do not think that you need to ask the landlord to do it for you , contact PRTB

Revenue letters - one would often keep them up to date; P60s

Yes , most of these are no longer handed out in the post, HOWEVER, when you register with revenue website, you WILL automatically have a profile and all of your key documents for 2-3 years ready to access

Likewise, your mobile phone bill - many don't bother getting them in the post. Refer to their website and register a profile

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm

Quite a bit of the information provided in the previous post is inaccurate.

Not keeping INIS updated about the address is an offence. INIS must be kept up-to-date about all address changes within 7 days of moving. INIS has a habit of giving people hard time because of this, as evident in multiple threads here. If it's just a few days out, that is usually fine. If you just completely forgot to update the address for a few months, then you will need to submit your explanation in the cover letter.

Mobile bills are never accepted as proof of address. Never was. Never will be.

Current accounts are namely where your monthly salary gets into. They should be the primary source of your income and usually also correspond to your monthly direct debit commitments (rents, utility bills, mortgages, lendings etc). That is the single most important proof that you live here. It is a mandatory requirement to have a current account for non-EU applicants as the initial registration will always require you to submit proof of bank accounts.

Credit card accounts, on the other hand, don't really matter that much. You don't have to have one. Some people prefer credit cards to debit cards as they give them much more flexibility and have greater spending limits, but it isn't as nearly important as your current account or your P60/EDS.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm

I see in p60 from year 2016, 17…. There is no address mentioned anywhere and it was used to be provided by employer can it still be used as address proof ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:03 pm

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm
I see in p60 from year 2016, 17…. There is no address mentioned anywhere and it was used to be provided by employer can it still be used as address proof ?
I am unsure what exactly you mean as "address proof". I don't see that requirement on Citizenship Application pages anymore, only that you need to gather proof of residency and achieve 150 points. If that's what you're referring to, P60s are more than fine and welcome, as they show you reside there and earn salary. You would have to supply some other documents that show your address (bills/tenancy agreement/etc).

juanpurple
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by juanpurple » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 pm

I think he is referring to having the address in old P60s; mine doesn't have it either. I had the same query but never found anything related to it. For example, the Employment Details Summary now has the address on it.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 am

Do you think, even if p60 don’t have Irish address it could still be counted toward residency proof ?
meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:03 pm
OneWorld2122 wrote:
I am unsure what exactly you mean as "address proof". I don't see that requirement on Citizenship Application pages anymore, only that you need to gather proof of residency and achieve 150 points. If that's what you're referring to, P60s are more than fine and welcome, as they show you reside there and earn salary. You would have to supply some other documents that show your address (bills/tenancy agreement/etc).

the46A
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by the46A » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:49 am

What I am asking is, can I use a revolut AND a bank account as proof, as this will get me the required points threshold. What is the significance of a credit card over another bank account? I use revolut and AIb equally

Jumbo Breakfast Role wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm
Try not to worry too much. Moving to different addresses, if renting is VERY common.

You may not have kept GNIB up to date of your address (if required) . You may have tried to contact them by email etc to keep them or ISD up to date but they lost it (it can happen)

Bear in mind, especially in the last few years of landlords acting terribly with tenants, rubbish or unsuitable housing conditions, difficulty in finding suitable and cheaper rent etc

Just set out all of the addresses and timelines, and provide the essentials like bank statements for the full period (people often forget to update their bank as to their up to date addresses when they change them , but some may)

Try and get the PRTB letters for the places that you stay longer - I do not think that you need to ask the landlord to do it for you , contact PRTB

Revenue letters - one would often keep them up to date; P60s

Yes , most of these are no longer handed out in the post, HOWEVER, when you register with revenue website, you WILL automatically have a profile and all of your key documents for 2-3 years ready to access

Likewise, your mobile phone bill - many don't bother getting them in the post. Refer to their website and register a profile

the46A
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by the46A » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 am

My bills and tenancy are not the same as my bank account address, does having proof BUT a different address still qualify. I moved 6 times in 4 years and left my bank account addressed to a family members house for ease.

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:46 am
Do you think, even if p60 don’t have Irish address it could still be counted toward residency proof ?
meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:03 pm
OneWorld2122 wrote:

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:56 am

littlerr wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm
Quite a bit of the information provided in the previous post is inaccurate.

Not keeping INIS updated about the address is an offence. INIS must be kept up-to-date about all address changes within 7 days of moving. INIS has a habit of giving people hard time because of this, as evident in multiple threads here. If it's just a few days out, that is usually fine. If you just completely forgot to update the address for a few months, then you will need to submit your explanation in the cover letter.

Mobile bills are never accepted as proof of address. Never was. Never will be.

Current accounts are namely where your monthly salary gets into. They should be the primary source of your income and usually also correspond to your monthly direct debit commitments (rents, utility bills, mortgages, lendings etc). That is the single most important proof that you live here. It is a mandatory requirement to have a current account for non-EU applicants as the initial registration will always require you to submit proof of bank accounts.

Credit card accounts, on the other hand, don't really matter that much. You don't have to have one. Some people prefer credit cards to debit cards as they give them much more flexibility and have greater spending limits, but it isn't as nearly important as your current account or your P60/EDS.
Your evident poor grasp of the English language is no excuse for the false statements that you made . I don’t wish to sound mean , but ill informed opinion is no substitute for facts .

Cite the legislative provision that stat a that legal residents must keep the INIS / ISD informed of their up to date address at all time and failure to do so is an offence ? Provide evidence where that supposed legislation is actually enforced and cases get rejected ?

Good luck with that !

INIS giving people a hard time is not the same as flat out rejecting a person’s residency renewal application for that reason !!!

You will struggle to find ANYONE constantly calling or emailing INIS every time that they change their address during the 5 years of Stamp 4 or stamp 1 residency - not until they are making renewal applications . INIS have better things to be doing

Moreover , when you actually bother to get a person with a better grasp of English to assist you to read what I actually said , you shall note that I asked whether the poster had contacted the authorities but they failed to acknowledge or note the correspondence .

Nothing was said to suggest that you don’t need to keep them up to date . All that was said is that the department and GNib aren’t going to make it a reason for refusal

What was said was one ought to focus on getting as much dated documentary proof because of you do have to explain yourself and where you lived , you got to back it up

You evidentially are conflating a person who has residency with someone who doesn’t but is applying for some form of residency

Mobile phone bills are proof of an address and evidence of activity in the State , it’s a utility bill. I never said one would use it as the primary source of evidence . It’s an example of many documents that can be used . Got caselaw to support that contention by the way ?

NO ONE suggested that holding a current account was mandatory .

However , from a day to day point of view EVERYONE had one or ought to have one .

It’s assumed people have one for practical reasons and because it’s against the law for employers to pay cash in hand . a current account is more suitable than a savings account to deal with wages and standing orders and direct debits (charges from banks) . Don’t know why you felt the need to stated the bleeding obvious there

Credit cards ? Lol . Who uses credit cards ? Especially the typical low to middle income earning person ? It ain’t the 1990s (most debit cards have tap on facilities and online payments) Sure , they , like MOST dated and itemised documents can be useful sources of proof of residency

Why did you mention credit card ? I never mentioned it for obvious practical reasons .

Any document that have itemised dates and addresses can be useful to support evidence of residency . One there own , maybe not but with other documents , they can show clear evidence of residency for the time period

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:15 pm

In case this isn't abundantly clear, I was not replying to you. I was replying to the OP and providing correct information as opposed to spreading lies. There is no need to be arrogant with your pathetic level of English.

Having helped people here for more than 3 years now, I have learned to shut my mouth to people who have no grasp of immigration laws while pretending to help people with the real aim of harassing people here. However, spreading lies is not helpful to anyone and is beyond my usual tolerance. Only updating addresses at renewal is one of the biggest red flags that INIS deals with both in the registration team and in BMU. I am not sure why you would indict the contrary other than having a malicious intent.

I am going to reply to you only this once. If you are really going looking to help people, keep yourself updated with the Immigration Act 2004. I am not sure if you have the ability to use Ctrl + F, so let me tell you that Section 9 is one of the most quoted section when INIS issues warnings to people. I hope you have time to read through that.

It is common enough for INIS to issue oral or written warnings to non-EU nationals when addresses have not been updated.

Again, I don't understand why you would bring up the mobile phone bill. This should be common sense. It is not a valid proof of evidence in any country. It wasn't listed as an acceptable proof before. It isn't now either with the new approach. Gov.ie has a comprehensive list of what constitutes a proof of residence and you will find that it explicitly spelled out that only fixed line phone bills as opposed to mobile phone bills count as proof of residence.

'Any document that have itemised dates and addresses can be useful to support evidence of residency'. That is utter BS. Why do you think INIS introduces the new scorecard approach with detailed scores for each acceptable proof, if any random document can just be submitted?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm

Apart from all the drama in the thread, here are the facts:

1- You need to keep your address up to date with INIS, in a week (or a month) after you change your address. It's an offense not to. This is the reason they ask/verify your address when you enter country.

2- Your bill address should prove your residence address. It will look and suspicious if your current address and bill address is different (in my opinion)

I moved to 4 different address in my 2 years in Ireland. When I asked solicitor that I have doctor's invoice to prove my attendance with the actual date, but the address on invoice was outdated (it was one of my previous addresses and I didn't bother to keep it updated) and my solicitor said it's not a good idea to use them. So just keep keep this in mind, total different addresses would be an issue for sure.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:48 pm

littlerr wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:15 pm
In case this isn't abundantly clear, I was not replying to you. I was replying to the OP and providing correct information as opposed to spreading lies. There is no need to be arrogant with your pathetic level of English.

Having helped people here for more than 3 years now, I have learned to shut my mouth to people who have no grasp of immigration laws while pretending to help people with the real aim of harassing people here. However, spreading lies is not helpful to anyone and is beyond my usual tolerance. Only updating addresses at renewal is one of the biggest red flags that INIS deals with both in the registration team and in BMU. I am not sure why you would indict the contrary other than having a malicious intent.

I am going to reply to you only this once. If you are really going looking to help people, keep yourself updated with the Immigration Act 2004. I am not sure if you have the ability to use Ctrl + F, so let me tell you that Section 9 is one of the most quoted section when INIS issues warnings to people. I hope you have time to read through that.

It is common enough for INIS to issue oral or written warnings to non-EU nationals when addresses have not been updated.

Again, I don't understand why you would bring up the mobile phone bill. This should be common sense. It is not a valid proof of evidence in any country. It wasn't listed as an acceptable proof before. It isn't now either with the new approach. Gov.ie has a comprehensive list of what constitutes a proof of residence and you will find that it explicitly spelled out that only fixed line phone bills as opposed to mobile phone bills count as proof of residence.

'Any document that have itemised dates and addresses can be useful to support evidence of residency'. That is utter BS. Why do you think INIS introduces the new scorecard approach with detailed scores for each acceptable proof, if any random document can just be submitted?
You stated, clearly, "previous post". The post previous to your post, was my post. That to anyone with half a brain cell means , my post .

You were incorrect to claim that it is an offence for someone who has legal residency ie stamp 4 to constantly keep the ISD and INIS up to date as to their address, which , for many immigrants will change a lot . Chose your words carefully, next time !

You have clearly conflated the requirements one has when they do not have residency and one who does,with regard to keeping the department up to date on addresses. There is no legal basis to support your claim that the Department can and will refuse to take into account itemised phone bills as proof of residency (when taken into account with other documents)

"There is no need to be arrogant with your pathetic level of English."

You are not being harrassed! You are talking nonsense and it is being explained to you in detail why you are talking nonsense. Your ego is greatly misplaced, respectively !

You Offering incorrect information is not funny. Cop on !

"Having helped people here for more than 3 years now" 3 years ? Cute, try 15 years ! REAL LAW PRACTICE !
The sole reason that I registered , was to come on and address the complete inaccurate nonsense that you spouted! Your legal qualifications are ? Your expertise are?

"Only updating addresses at renewal is one of the biggest red flags that INIS deals with both in the registration team and in BMU"

Again, provide the case law that supports that claim ! Provide real cases where people have been refused renewal because of a failure to disclose a change of address.

" malicious intent."

AGAIN, I DID NOT SAY THAT IT WAS OKAY TO NOT KEEP THE DEPARTMENT UP TO DATE. The original poster said that they failed to keep the Department up to date. There is NO point hammering home that he did not follow the rules. What was done was to tell him, CORRECTLY to focus on getting documents to prove residency What is done is done !

LOL Section 9 of the 2004 Act.

The Department are well aware that immigrants and even the native who rent , change addresses alot .

CASE LAW EXPLAINS LEGISLATION IN BETTER DETAIL! Again, go get the caselaw to support your claim. As said before, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT !

HERE IS A FACT, if YOU HAD ANY TRUE EXPERIENCE , the Department have better things to be doing than punishing people who have not kept their address up to date!

Again, as advised, have as much proofs that one was in the State, and offer an excuse for not updating . They aren't that bad in the Department !

SIT DOWN !

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:03 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm
Apart from all the drama in the thread, here are the facts:

1- You need to keep your address up to date with INIS, in a week (or a month) after you change your address. It's an offense not to. This is the reason they ask/verify your address when you enter country.

2- Your bill address should prove your residence address. It will look and suspicious if your current address and bill address is different (in my opinion)

I moved to 4 different address in my 2 years in Ireland. When I asked solicitor that I have doctor's invoice to prove my attendance with the actual date, but the address on invoice was outdated (it was one of my previous addresses and I didn't bother to keep it updated) and my solicitor said it's not a good idea to use them. So just keep keep this in mind, total different addresses would be an issue for sure.
"when you enter the country"

That happened a few years ago !

Section 9 has NO application to refugees and people who got residency under EU law ! (section 2)

Section 9 concerns when you are moving to a different registration district which factually means , a different county ! For Dublin it means the city and areas around Kildare and bits of Meath

In PRACTICE, the Department and GNIB DO NOT refuse applications and won't charge you if the failure to keep them up to date is not that serious. They do allow for human error as it is expressed clearly in Section 9 . Keep them sweet and happy by providing full detailed documentary proofs of where you lived at all times!

You are of no use speculating and telling him what might happen . Deal with how to address the problem.

Yes, it does not help, but, provide as much detail and as much documentary evidence to prove that they were in the country - even if it means documents from schools and other places. Set it out in an affidavit and why one failed to keep their contact details in order with the Department, banks, lease , etc

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:06 pm

the46A wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:49 am
What I am asking is, can I use a revolut AND a bank account as proof, as this will get me the required points threshold. What is the significance of a credit card over another bank account? I use revolut and AIb equally

Get every document with date and address that you can get . Do not dismiss any document as being useless.

Any form of document that shows regular day to day transactions (which would also show that it was done in Ireland) would remove a lot of doubt as to whether you are in Ireland or not. that humble visit every day to Spar at College Green ; to some pub in Galway last Saturday etc

A current account statement will show entry for regular income coming into the account ie wages. It will show regular outgoings like bills, cash withdrawal at some ATM in Dublin etc , it will show every purchase used by the debit card (cheaper to use than credit card)

The Department would assume and expect that most people have bank accounts, whether its savings or current. Most people use a current account . Give the account(s) .

If credit card account can show itemised transactions too , USE IT . Just make sure that you can explain every transaction

Londonsangel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Londonsangel » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:45 pm

the46A wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 pm
What are the implications of my GNIB not matching my rental/utilities address.

Also what is the difference between a current a/c and a credit card why are they on different parts of the scorecard?

Will they accept Revolut instead of the credit card.
What do you mean your GNIB does not match? I have moved and told them so, but they don’t seem to update your card, or do you just mean the dept?