ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by Association - Certificate

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CAF1986
Newly Registered
Australia

Citizenship by Association - Certificate

Post by CAF1986 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi, I applied for citizenship based on Irish association. My application was successful and today I received my certificate. However, nowhere on the certificate does it state naturalisation was based on Irish association, is this correct? In the future, how would anyone know my citizenship was based on Irish association? My understanding is that there are different legal rights depending if citizenship was granted based on Irish association or residency...

meself2
Ireland

Re: Citizenship by Association - Certificate

Post by meself2 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm

There are some differences indeed, as certificate given to you by Associations cannot be revoked due to you not being in the State, but I don't think it should be mentioned on the certificate itself; INIS should have all documents to verify it at their disposal.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm

The certificate basically says you are an Irish citizen. It will not say how you acquired it. This should be stored in INIS’s internal system should they need to use it in future.

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:41 pm

CAF1986 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:53 pm
Hi, I applied for citizenship based on Irish association. My application was successful and today I received my certificate. However, nowhere on the certificate does it state naturalisation was based on Irish association, is this correct? In the future, how would anyone know my citizenship was based on Irish association? My understanding is that there are different legal rights depending if citizenship was granted based on Irish association or residency...
No its just a normal natuarlisation certificate. To cover yourself keep the letter where they said your application would be processed under associations.

Jumbo Breakfast Role
Newly Registered
Isle of Man

Post by Jumbo Breakfast Role » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:55 pm

CAF1986 wrote:

No great difference at all in rights The cert normally says that you were granted Citizenship and the provision Section 16. That is it

In fact, your application is based on "naturalisation" really. Don't complicate things. It does not matter whether you got it because you lived in Ireland for 5 years or you lived for 3 if married or this way

Congrats, because blood association is hard to succeed with

Wow90
Ireland

Post by Wow90 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:16 pm

CAF1986 wrote:
I thought the same when I got it but it turns out they just say if it was an adult application or a child one. We each have a unique number and so that's how they know it was by associations

CAF1986
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by CAF1986 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 pm

Shakey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:41 pm

No its just a normal natuarlisation certificate. To cover yourself keep the letter where they said your application would be processed under associations.
That's a great suggestion, thank you. I would still have that letter.

CAF1986
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by CAF1986 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I feel better now that nobody said their certificate mentions Irish associations, i was worried there had been a mistake.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on a decision. It has been a journey of just under 4 years for myself, checking this forum most days - such an informative resource.

nmurph
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nmurph » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:31 am

Firstly, congratulations! As someone mentioned, it is particularly difficult and usually unsuccessful to obtain citizenship via blood associations beyond that of a grandparent! Well done!

I’m just curious if you could tell us your circumstances? I’m in other groups that often inquire about association and their chances and maybe your story could help someone? Who was your association and have you resided in Ireland at all?

Thanks so much! :)