ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing in Mother and Sister to live in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Avathar77
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Bringing in Mother and Sister to live in UK

Post by Avathar77 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 pm

Hi
I am a non EU person with Settled Status. My wife is from EU and has Settled Status as well. We have been married and living in the UK for over 10 years with a child. We both work and have our own home to live in UK.
I am now looking in to bringing my Mother and Sister(father passed away few years ago) to UK to live with me. Can someone please give some advice in to which route should I take in terms of visa?
Since I am not an EU citizen(even if I have Settled Status), should my wife need to sponsor my mother and sister?
Any help would be appreciated.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Bringing in Mother and Sister to live in UK

Post by kamoe » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm

Avathar77 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 pm
Since I am not an EU citizen(even if I have Settled Status), should my wife need to sponsor my mother and sister?
Short answer is, yes, non-UE nationals cannot sponsor family members under the EU settlement Scheme. Only EU nationals can. Your wife could sponsor your mother (since parents of partner or spouse are still eligible), but not your sister. Siblings are extended family members, which are not eligible under the EU Settlement Scheme.

How old is your sister?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Avathar77
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Avathar77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:33 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm
Avathar77 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 pm
Short answer is, yes, non-UE nationals cannot sponsor family members under the EU settlement Scheme. Only EU nationals can. Your wife could sponsor your mother (since parents of partner or spouse are still eligible), but not your sister. Siblings are extended family members, which are not eligible under the EU Settlement Scheme.

How old is your sister?
Thank you for the response.
My sister is 47. So not under 18 if that's what you meant. She is unmarried by choice and taking care of my mother.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:41 pm

Avathar77 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:33 pm
My sister is 47. So not under 18 if that's what you meant. She is unmarried by choice and taking care of my mother.
Is your mother dependent on her?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Avathar77
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Avathar77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:41 pm
Avathar77 wrote:
My mother is able to do some things- as in not totally relying on someone looking after her all the time, but financially dependent on both me and my sister. I send some funds every month and my sister works there as well. My mother has long standing illnesses due to age(over 75 now).

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:13 pm

Avathar77 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm
kamoe wrote:
Avathar77 wrote:
My mother is able to do some things- as in not totally relying on someone looking after her all the time, but financially dependent on both me and my sister. I send some funds every month and my sister works there as well. My mother has long standing illnesses due to age(over 75 now).
Then neither of them is dependent on your wife, I'm afraid. So she can't sponsor them.

Avathar77
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Avathar77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:13 pm
Avathar77 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm
kamoe wrote:
Avathar77 wrote:
Then neither of them is dependent on your wife, I'm afraid. So she can't sponsor them.
Thank you very much for the response. Appreciate it.