ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Second de facto partner of an Irish visa application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cfla22
Newly Registered
Ireland

Second de facto partner of an Irish visa application

Post by cfla22 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm

Hello,

My partner and I wish to apply for a de facto partner visa in Ireland. From irishimmigration.ie it states "An eligible sponsor must not have sponsored (or have not been sponsored by) anyone else in the 7 year period prior to the preclearance/visa application".

My ex partner and I submitted a de facto partner visa application 4 years ago, however we were requested to provide more documentation, which we did not provide and no visa was issued. I am wondering if it is possible for me to sponsor my current partner given the previous application was not completed?

Many Thanks,
cfla22

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Second de facto partner of an Irish visa application

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Are you looking to get a visa or a residence permit? Is your de facto partner living abroad or already in Ireland with a different permission?

The 7 year period is based on the issuance of the last permission, as set out in the Non-EEA Family Reunification policy document.

Therefore, in theory, you are allowed to sponsor your current partner, but you should expect questions from INIS over the previous application and why it did not work out.

Btw, if you are applying for a visa for your partner, it means he/she is currently not in Ireland. Have you checked the eligibility on it? Have you lived together for at least 2 years (presumably from outside of Ireland)?

cfla22
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cfla22 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:50 pm

Apologies, I'm looking to get a residence permit. My partner is South Korean and can enter Ireland for 6 months visa free. We currently live in the UK but plan to move to Ireland. We will apply for preclearance before arriving, arrive in Ireland for 6 months visa free and subsequently apply for a residence permit.

Thank you that is useful to know. I was considering whether previous sponsorship would be based on application or issuance, so that is good news.

We have lived together outside Ireland for over 2 years.

Thanks for your help.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:29 pm

If you apply for the preclearance, the general rule is that you have to wait till you get the approval before coming to Ireland.

When you and your partner flies in, you need to tell the border officer why you want to come to Ireland. If you just say you want to stay for 3 months, that would be classified as a short-visit and wouldn't enable your partner to apply for residence permit. You would have to show them the letter at the border in order for the border officer to put the correct stamp on your partner's passport, which will be subsequently required for the initial residence permit registration.

Of course, your partner can simply come and visit under the short visit permission, and once you get the approval letter, fly out and back in again (or try your luck - apply for the residence permit directly without leaving and re-entering the country). It may raise some elbows at the border though.

Btw - all short visits allow visitors to stay for a maximum of 3 months, not 6 months. (6 months is only for the UK.)

cfla22
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cfla22 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:16 pm

Good point we'll make sure to have the preclearance letter before arriving to avoid any issues.

Thanks very much for your help.