ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR - What exactly does the witness have to witness?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cufcjacko
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FBR - What exactly does the witness have to witness?

Post by cufcjacko » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:26 pm

Hello Immigration Board,

I need clarification on what exactly the witness has to witness because I have read conflicting information from different sources. I have tried to phone the relevant authorities but I imagine that they are swamped with British citizens seeking FBR Irish citizenship (with a 2 year waiting list) so after a few days of phoning to no avail, I have given up and thought this forum would be a great place to start.

I am seeking Irish citizenship through my grandfather, I have his birth, marriage and death certificate - no problem there. I have my mother's birth and marriage certificate - no problem there. I also have passport photos, IDs and proof of address X 3 no problem there. I also have a suitable witness in my accountant.

I have a problem in the form itself where I've discovered (if I have correctly understood it) that the witness has to witness and sign BOTH 2 of my passport pictures and the form AND also that they are to witness that a photocopied ID of my mother, from whom Irish ancestry is derived, is a true likeness.

It was this last part that I wasn't aware of until I read it on the form - I am reading this correctly.. firstly, my mother's ID has to be witnessed also? (I ask this as my mother lives 100+ miles from where I live so it's not easy, she has an Irish passport but only now after I was born and she was not born there so hence why I have to go through the FBR route) secondly, and more importantly, if her ID does have to be witnessed, does this have to be by the same witness who witnessed my passport photos and form? As that will make things even trickier given the distance!

Given that the waiting time is roughly 2 years to get on to the FBR according to the Department for Foreign Affairs, for me, time is of the essence as my partner and I are thinking about trying for a baby in about a year's time from now (roughly) - so any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jack

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: FBR - What exactly does the witness have to witness?

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

The witness signs your form after witnessing you sign it. He also signs & dates two of the photos. Make outlines on a piece of paper of the photo size and have the witness practice a little. Lastly, he sings a true copy of YOU-The Applicants ID. Add a statement like:

I, witnesses name (printed) , attest that this is true copy of the applicant---applicant's name (printed).I also state that I am not related to the applicant.

Witnesses signature & Date

I also had my witness get the copy of applicants ID notarized

Good Luck

jgclancy

cufcjacko
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cufcjacko » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:10 am

Thank you. Much appreciated :)

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 am

The FBR application does not require the same witness for the application and your ID vs. the Irish parent's ID. I was in the same situation as you, my mother lives 350-400 miles away and doesn't really travel any more.

My sisters live closer to my mother so I gave them the list of approved witnesses. They had a notary where she lives notarize a copy of her drivers' license. This was not the notary local to me that I used.

27 months later but no questions, FBR approved Oct 2021, received in mail Nov 2021.

FWIW the passport application does specify the same witness for application and copies of ID. I initially took the application to a different notary than the one I used for ID. The second notary wouldn't sign without the US language, the first one had no issues (once I saw the DFA wanted the same witness.)