ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should My Wife choose my Spouse Visa or Student Visa?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LESTOU
China

Should My Wife choose my Spouse Visa or Student Visa?

Post by LESTOU » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:14 am

My wife is going to get her PhD degree soon. She could renew either a PSW visa or my SW spouse visa. The PSW will allow her to stay uk for another three years, which is longer and cheaper. But I will be formally working in UK for 5 years by 01/04/2023 without any gaps. My question is if she applies for the SW Spouse Visa now, can she apply the ILR together with me on that date?

Many Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Should My Wife choose my Spouse Visa or Student Visa?

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:19 am

The PSW will allow her to stay uk for another three years, which is longer and cheaper.

It is called a Graduate Route visa, it's not called "PSW". A Graduate Route visa is for TWO years, not three years.
But I will be formally working in UK for 5 years by 01/04/2023 without any gaps. My question is if she applies for the SW Spouse Visa now, can she apply the ILR together with me on that date?
No she cannot. She would need 5 years on the skilled worker Dependent visa before she could apply for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:53 am

For an applicant (such as your wife) to apply for ILR, they typically need to be on the same (or similar) visa for five continuous years.

If the types of visas have changed over a period of time, such as from student to Graduate Route or to spouse, the ILR clock resets to zero anyway.

So, she will need to complete either five years on a Skilled Worker Dependent visa or 10 years on a combination of visas before she can apply for ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

LESTOU
China

Post by LESTOU » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. 10 years route is probably easier for her.

ywlgy
United Kingdom

Post by ywlgy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:19 am
The PSW will allow her to stay uk for another three years, which is longer and cheaper.

It is called a Graduate Route visa, it's not called "PSW". A Graduate Route visa is for TWO years, not three years.
But I will be formally working in UK for 5 years by 01/04/2023 without any gaps. My question is if she applies for the SW Spouse Visa now, can she apply the ILR together with me on that date?
No she cannot. She would need 5 years on the skilled worker Dependent visa before she could apply for ILR.
PhD can get 3 years.

To OP:
Your previous post suggested you were granted spouse (i assume tier 4 dep on your wife?) visa from 16/02/2018. Did you get a Tier 2 visa after that and when? This date, rather than the work start date (you might start working under Dep visa) will determine when you are eligible for ILR.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.