ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on a foreign passport after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

magicsign
Italy

Travelling on a foreign passport after naturalisation

Post by magicsign » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:54 am

Hello all, I recently had my naturalisation ceremony as a British Citizen and as expected I was presented with my naturalisation certificate.
Before that I was (and still am) an EU citizen with settled status linked to my EU passport.

Question is: can I travel outside UK and re-enter UK with my EU passport now that I am a British citizen? I am planning to apply soon for my British passport but after a travel that I was planning to do.

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travelling on a foreign passport after naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:09 am

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 am

qntnuk
Newly Registered
France

Post by qntnuk » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 am

Before I could apply for my UK passport after naturalisation I entered three times with my french passport.

No issues at all, I just used the e-gates as usual.

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 am

Your right to live in the UK is no longer dictated by your settled status. It is your citizenship that counts and this is what they check.
So take a copy of your naturalisation certificate. And say that you are going to apply for a British passport. This will speed things up if you are stopped and questioned.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am

qntnuk wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 am
Before I could apply for my UK passport after naturalisation I entered three times with my french passport.

No issues at all, I just used the e-gates as usual.
Thank you, this is a relief

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:54 am

HCJNL wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 am
Your right to live in the UK is no longer dictated by your settled status. It is your citizenship that counts and this is what they check.
So take a copy of your naturalisation certificate. And say that you are going to apply for a British passport. This will speed things up if you are stopped and questioned.
Thank you, I was also thinking to take a copy of the naturalisation certificate when I travel (a bit scared to leave it in a hotel room to be honest).

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:42 pm

You will probably sail through the e-gates just like qntnuk did. We are talking about the unlikely, but possible, event of you being stopped and then asked what your reasons are for visiting the UK.