ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Physically present 5 year before the appliation requirement fulfilment advice

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is valid passport must for applying for citizenship

Post by puneetsingh » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Dear Forum Gurus and Members

Im an ILR holder in UK and eligible to apply for citizenship.

My Indian passport has expired and due to covid I have not been able to renew it.

My question is - is it must to have a valid passport for applying for british citizenship? Can I apply with BRP card and expired passport. Will it be a cause of concern / application returning unsuccessful.

Would you rather advice me to get valid passport first and then apply?

Much thanks
Singh

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is valid passport must for applying for citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:06 pm

You do not need a valid passport. You will have provide other evidence of residence in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Is valid passport must for applying for citizenship

Post by puneetsingh » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:36 pm

thanks for the response!

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

re: on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office

Post by puneetsingh » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm

You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.

Hi All,

re: satisfying the above requirement and providing proof of physical presence 5 years before the date of application - I have lost my then passport which could have shown the entry and exit stamps and evidenced my physical presence in UK

what are the alternate means through which I can provide evidence of my physical presence in UK 5 years ago the date of application submission?

thanks

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: re: on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office

Post by puneetsingh » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:46 am

Highlighting to the group again, if moderators can provide a response on this query please. thanks!

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Physically present 5 year before the appliation requirement fulfilment advice

Post by puneetsingh » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 pm

You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.

Hi All,

re: satisfying the above requirement and providing proof of physical presence 5 years before the date of application - I have lost my then passport which could have shown the entry and exit stamps and evidenced my physical presence in UK

what are the alternate means through which I can provide evidence of my physical presence in UK 5 years ago the date of application submission?

thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Physically present 5 year before the appliation requirement fulfilment advice

Post by manci » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:19 pm

puneetsingh wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 pm
For example, a bank or credit card statement showing that you made a purchase at a retail outlet in the UK on the day
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

kamoe
European Union

Re: re: on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office

Post by kamoe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:58 pm

puneetsingh wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm
According to how it was explained to me by other members last year, it is not up to you to prove it. You only need to list your absences, and make sure to pick a suitable date to submit your application, and it is up to the Home Office to verify your presence in the UK with their own records. See this post.

Not sure if this has changed since that discussion, but that was the answer at the time.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Physically present 5 year before the appliation requirement fulfilment advice

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:08 pm

Even with the paper application (in my case pre-online) there was/is no requirement to prove that date.
Clearly if that day is listed in your absences you are not meeting the requirement.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by puneetsingh » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:43 am

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated!

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by puneetsingh » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm

A follow-up connected Question in this situation, where I have lost passport in last 5 years, how alternatively to satisfy the requirement of "Proof of living in the UK" for last 5 years as part of naturalisation application? As I dont have a passport evidence of entry and exit stamps.

UKVAC has also stated utility bills and bank statementes wont suffice. Will a letter from employer confirming employed at a UK address suffice? Please provide more examples of measn by which this mandatory condition can be satisfied.

thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:06 pm

P60s and Council Tax bills are very common for proving residency. Basically official type documents and correspondence, including from HMRC/ DPW/Pensions/Child Benefit. Normally one document per year suffices.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

puneetsingh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by puneetsingh » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 am

Thank you!