ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Second Letter Anymore? Citizenship app.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

joleneeee
Ireland

No Second Letter Anymore? Citizenship app.

Post by joleneeee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Hi All,

I recently applied for the citizenship, and got my acknowledgement letter in November 2021.

According to the letter, there isn't any step like "second letter".

Based on the letter information, it is all about acknowledgement, good character check, and also contacting us if they need further documentation. And lastly, the decision.

So, I guess there is not such a thing as second letter anymore. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Harley06
San Marino

Re: No Second Letter Anymore? Citizenship app.

Post by Harley06 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Good character check is the second letter.

joleneeee wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm
Hi All,

I recently applied for the citizenship, and got my acknowledgement letter in November 2021.

Based on the letter information, it is all about acknowledgement, good character check, and also contacting us if they need further documentation. And lastly, the decision.

So, I guess there is not such a thing as second letter anymore. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:37 pm

joleneeee wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks

When did you apply for citizenship?

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 pm

I'm gonna complete 1 year waiting in a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything back from them apart getting my passport and my first letter back. I'm actually thinking of doing a FOI just to see what they achieved in 1 year.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 pm

mads32 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 pm
I'm gonna complete 1 year waiting in a couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything back from them apart getting my passport and my first letter back. I'm actually thinking of doing a FOI just to see what they achieved in 1 year.
Did they ask you for any more documentation in this year? Doing an FOI at this point does sound more than reasonable to be honest.

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Nala2021 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 pm
mads32 wrote:
Did they ask you for any more documentation in this year? Doing an FOI at this point does sound more than reasonable to be honest.
I just remembered now that I mailed them when I changed jobs last year asking if I had to send them payslips or anything from the new job and they replied like a month and a half later saying no and if they needed anything they would ask. But yeah, up to this point they haven't requested anything from my side.

The first letter is dated from April so I guess that's when I'm officially in the system but my application was dated and sent in February so that's a year for me waiting.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 pm

1 year is too early to request FOI in my opinion, current processing time is 23 months, this one is like that since 2019 (due to pandemic). And it costs €50 to request FOI. So I would just give it more time.

I belive the time (23 months nowadays) starts when you get the first acknowledgement letter, till then your file will be waiting to be accepted for processing.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 pm
1 year is too early to request FOI in my opinion, current processing time is 23 months, this one is like that since 2019 (due to pandemic). And it costs €50 to request FOI. So I would just give it more time.

I belive the time (23 months nowadays) starts when you get the first acknowledgement letter, till then your file will be waiting to be accepted for processing.
If then the acknowledgement letter takes, as there is a 'significant backlog' 3-5 months to arrive, and then you start counting on 23 months from that, that takes you to an average processing time of 26-28 months. That's absurd. Especially since they say they want to cut down the processing time to 6-9 months. At some point there has to be some accountability.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 pm

And an FOI is free of charge, unless there is a significant, copious amount of paperwork involved, like photocopies and so on. We're talking an amount that essentially the office will be billing you the actual paper for.

If you are applying through a solicitor, then it may cost.

joleneeee
Ireland

Post by joleneeee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 pm

Harley06 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:29 pm

joleneeee wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
oh, ok I didn't know that the famous "second letter" is in fact the character one. Thank you.

Btw, I have friends who heard nothing after the acknowledgement letter date. And one day suddenly, they received the approval. (14 months in total)

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm

I believe that’s too early in current circumstances.
mads32 wrote:

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 pm

Time starts from when the ISD received the application , I think it’s clearly stated ‘from the date of applications received’ by the time acknowledgment letter created first part of applications review completeness is done.
mentalmind wrote:

Last edited by OneWorld2122 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm

Do you know and would mind sharing , whether that person was EU or NON EU , around what time application was submitted and last was, based on 5 year residency or spousal ?
joleneeee wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 pm
Harley06 wrote:

joleneeee wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
oh, ok I didn't know that the famous "second letter" is in fact the character one. Thank you.

Btw, I have friends who heard nothing after the acknowledgement letter date. And one day suddenly, they received the approval. (14 months in total)

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 am

Nala2021 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm
mentalmind wrote:

If then the acknowledgement letter takes, as there is a 'significant backlog' 3-5 months to arrive, and then you start counting on 23 months from that, that takes you to an average processing time of 26-28 months. That's absurd. Especially since they say they want to cut down the processing time to 6-9 months. At some point there has to be some accountability.
Well your application is not official, till you get acknowledgement or refusal letter. This is when you get person ID and citizenship application ID and then time starts ticking. Till you get that letter, your application is just waiting it’s turn to get processed. After 3-5 months, they can refuse your application without processing with a reason like 5 years residency is not complete or your form is incorrect or outdated or you broke continous residency rule. I don’t mean your application did any of this of course.

So it’s high likely 3-5 months + 23 months

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:11 am

If you read the ISD, it says
Currently it takes 23 months approximately for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made.
So time starts from the date application is received.
mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 am
Nala2021 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm
mentalmind wrote:

Well your application is not official, till you get acknowledgement or refusal letter. This is when you get person ID and citizenship application ID and then time starts ticking. Till you get that letter, your application is just waiting it’s turn to get processed. After 3-5 months, they can refuse your application without processing with a reason like 5 years residency is not complete or your form is incorrect or outdated or you broke continous residency rule. I don’t mean your application did any of this of course.

So it’s high likely 3-5 months + 23 months

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 am

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:11 pm
mads32 wrote:
I would be doing the FOI not with the idea of putting pressure or starting any legal procedure against them, it's to actually have clarity of what's going on there. I know I have another 6-12 months at least waiting for this but I want to see where it stands right now since currently I have no way to know.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 am

mads32 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 am
OneWorld2122 wrote:
mads32 wrote:
I would be doing the FOI not with the idea of putting pressure or starting any legal procedure against them, it's to actually have clarity of what's going on there. I know I have another 6-12 months at least waiting for this but I want to see where it stands right now since currently I have no way to know.
There is a difference between what applicants are used to doing, and 'advised' to do by previous applicants and how you actually want to deal with your application. To a reasonable person, waiting for 1 year, with no active contact from the citizenship department (because you mentioned that you initiated contact for change of address and not them), sounds enough to start an FOI.

joleneeee
Ireland

Post by joleneeee » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Sure , he is a NON-Eu national, based on 5 years residency , stamp 1+4
OneWorld2122 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm
Do you know and would mind sharing , whether that person was EU or NON EU , around what time application was submitted and last was, based on 5 year residency or spousal ?
joleneeee wrote:
Harley06 wrote:

joleneeee wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:21 pm

To answer OP, which we kind of hijacked their thread with FOI talk, I believe after acknowledgement letter the next thing applicant is expected to see is eVetting approval documents (and this is probably equivalent of good personality check stage).

About FOI, I found this topic, about what it might return about your application (in case it will be helpful): ireland/citizenship-application-process ... 73543.html

joleneeee
Ireland

Post by joleneeee » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks. Btw - I see that here everybody says that the processing time is 23 months.
In my letter that was issued on 2nd of November 2021, it is 12 months. is 23 months officially written somewhere?

Thanks

mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:21 pm
To answer OP, which we kind of hijacked their thread with FOI talk, I believe after acknowledgement letter the next thing applicant is expected to see is eVetting approval documents (and this is probably equivalent of good personality check stage).

About FOI, I found this topic, about what it might return about your application (in case it will be helpful): ireland/citizenship-application-process ... 73543.html

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm

I think that letter is outdated (time wise), the official info for 23 months is written here: https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... alisation/

Processing

Currently it takes 23 months approximately for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made. However, processing times can vary depending on circumstances.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Could it be possible the timeframe is reverted back to 12 months in November and earlier Mid of 2021 was 23 months in acknowledgment letter , is there no one received 23 months processing time as per acknowledgment letter and it’s only on website ?
mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm
I think that letter is outdated (time wise), the official info for 23 months is written here: https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... alisation/

Processing

Currently it takes 23 months approximately for a straightforward application to be processed from the date it is received to the date a decision is made. However, processing times can vary depending on circumstances.
Last edited by OneWorld2122 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:51 pm

Good to know and thanks for sharing this , do you intend around what time application was submitted by your friend ?
joleneeee wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 pm
Sure , he is a NON-Eu national, based on 5 years residency , stamp 1+4
OneWorld2122 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm
joleneeee wrote:
Harley06 wrote:

joleneeee wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:26 pm

I do agree with you, it’s frustrating waiting over a year but no real update or status and above that no way to know how long more the wait is!!

I think I read on the forum, if you did FOI once then they may reject another FOI done again after some time, so if applicants do FOI just after 1 year ( by that time not much progress happened ) then applicant has to sit as cannot submit another FOI, so it’s about timing it!! - it’s just my opinion others may have different and better views and will like to hear.

Nala2021 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 am
mads32 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 am
OneWorld2122 wrote:
mads32 wrote:
There is a difference between what applicants are used to doing, and 'advised' to do by previous applicants and how you actually want to deal with your application. To a reasonable person, waiting for 1 year, with no active contact from the citizenship department (because you mentioned that you initiated contact for change of address and not them), sounds enough to start an FOI.

joleneeee
Ireland

Post by joleneeee » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm

I would get the web site as base, as the web site is updated lastly on 6th of January 2022. And I assume the acknowledgement letter template is updated ages ago! So, 23 it is, even though 12 months in the letter :((((

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:50 pm
Could it be possible the timeframe is reverted back to 12 months in November and earlier Mid of 2021 was 23 months in acknowledgment letter , is there no one received 23 months processing time as per acknowledgment letter and it’s only on website ?
mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Processing