ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen application for my wife with ILR.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mmas0112

British citizen application for my wife with ILR.

Post by mmas0112 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm seeking an advice regarding the best way to apply for my wife to become British Citizen. I am a British citizen simce 2021 and I used to have Tier 2 visa previously. My wife just got her ILR application approved. She used to have Tier 2 dependent visa before.

Here are some of the dates worth mentioning:
First toer 2 dependent visa issued: 19-01-2017
First entry to UK: 09-02-2017
Currently she has ILR

Can you please confirm what is the earliest for her to apply to become British ?
What form she need to use?
Does she need to wait 1 year with ILR or she can apply directly as I am British Citizen already now?
How many years she need to be staying in the UK 5 or 3?

Does she need to be in the UK 3 or 5 years back from the time of the application?

Thank you

meself2
Ireland

Re: British citizen application for my wife with ILR.

Post by meself2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:12 pm

Seems like the Spouse of British Citizen path if open to her, so she can apply straight away and not wait a year since the day of receiving ILR. Can't advice on 3/5 years, to be honest.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mmas0112

Post by mmas0112 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:57 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:12 pm
Seems like the Spouse of British Citizen path if open to her, so she can apply straight away and not wait a year since the day of receiving ILR. Can't advice on 3/5 years, to be honest.
Thank you so much. I may apply using the 3 years but still want some clarification regarding the 5 or 3 years rules. Also as our marriage was abroad does it need to be registere in the UK too to be apply or they accept marriage certificate from other countries. She applied before when she was in Tier 2 using the abroad marriage certificate as its certified and translated already.

mmas0112

Post by mmas0112 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:53 pm

Any advice with the above please?
Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm

The marriage doesn't need to be registered in the UK for naturalisation purposes.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mmas0112

Post by mmas0112 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:46 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm
The marriage doesn't need to be registered in the UK for naturalisation purposes.
Thank you so much for clarification. one last thing please. Can my wife apply now or she need to wait after the 9th of February to complete her 5 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:13 am

As she is spouse of a British citizen she can apply now if all requirements are met.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.