ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

proof of residing in UK over last 3 years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Good character requirement - Financial query

Post by szy123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:29 pm

Hello All
I hope someone can help me.

We've just recently sent an application for British Citizenship for my wife, but I'm worried it may get rejected now.

She used to work as PAYE, bit for last 5 years she hasn't work because she was looking after our 2 children. About 2 months ago she got offered a part-job. Private employer's PA told her that she would be on the payroll soon, but it's been 2 months now and still no contract. Because she'd been already doing some work she has been paid into her private bank a/c, but no pay slip has been given. I was really hoping for her to be on the payroll because she wouldn't have to worry about NI or tax and it would count towards her state pension, but her employer so far has not given her any contract, etc.

My question is: if the one of good character requirements it to have finances in order, will her application get rejected because she hasn't pay tax since she's been working? Are they going to look into her bank account income/expenses ? The application has already been sent and not sure what to do now.

Your help would be really appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Good character requirement - Financial query

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm

You are overthinking. Employment is not a mandatory requirement for a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by szy123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:42 pm

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate this.

I'm just worrying that if they look into my wife's bank account and they see money coming in over last 2 months, they may check whether she has paid any tax for it? I've read in the guide about Financial Soundness " If their financial affairs have not been in appropriate order - for example, they have
failed to pay taxes for which they were liable...". They may see that she's not self-employed nor PAYE and may start questioning where is the tax paid for that income? Will they actually check it?
If we don't hear from her employer regarding contract any time soon I will definitely register her as self-employed to make sure her pension is not affected, but at the moment I'm worried as the application has been already sent and we haven't declared that she's working because we didn't have any contract or pay slip to prove it.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by szy123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm
Hi. this is actually application for a British Citizenship, not visa. I think they are quite strict when assessing someone's 'good character'.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:44 pm

I meant citizenship application.

You are overthinking completely. There is no issue here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:46 pm

szy123 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:42 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm
Hi. this is actually application for a British Citizenship, not visa. I think they are quite strict when assessing someone's 'good character'.
You are still overthinking. as said before, this is not mandatory. you can be unemployed and claim benefit (as long as you are entitled to) and apply for citizenship without any impact on your application.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by szy123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Thank you both. I really appreciate your quick response.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by szy123 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 am

Hello Both

Apologies for another query regarding this matter, but it really got me worried last night. I've spoken to our neighbor who's an accountant (although a corporate one so she may not exactly know this) and told us that immigration will check my wife's account and will notice that there is some kind of income coming in but no tax has been being paid for that income. I understand from your previous responses that the employment status does not matter in British citizenship application, but from my wife's bank account you could see although we declared her as unemployed (because we had no pay slip or contract to prove otherwise) she's been earning but her HMRC record doesn't show any tax paid. My question is: will the immigration investigate my wife's private bank account as part of assessing her 'good character' (financial soundness, etc.)? thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:43 am

You really are overthinking this completely!! There is no issue here so unsure why you are making it one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am

Unless HO suspects money laundering or any other big crimes like that, they are not going to check your bank account.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by szy123 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:42 am

Understood. Thank you for your help.
I've just been worried because we've been waiting for this for 10 years and don't want to mess it up.
I really appreciate your time and help.
Have a lovely weekend

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by prs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:46 am

szy123 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:42 am
Understood. Thank you for your help.
I've just been worried because we've been waiting for this for 10 years and don't want to mess it up.
I really appreciate your time and help.
Have a lovely weekend
I understand and your feelings are valid. Its a very stressful process and an expensive one too.

its good to cover every angle and be prepared.

You have a lovely weekend too pal.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Illegal entry to UK

Post by szy123 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:37 am

Hello All
My wife came to UK using someone else passport back in 2002. since then we got married in 2011 and she got her spouse visa. During the application we did say that she entered UK illegally, so this information must already be recorded on the HO system somewhere. This year we want to apply for her citizenship. She's been of 'good character' for more than 10 years now. Should we mention, in her application for naturalization (in additional comments section), that she entered UK illegally? They must already have this information on the system anyway. I just want to make it clear that we're not trying to hide any information.

I would appreciate your help in this matter. thank you

prs
BANNED
United Kingdom

Re: Illegal entry to UK

Post by prs » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 am

It Is not required to tell them that she entered illegally but in the application, you will be asked if you have made any previous applications and I assume she has and if you answer yes, you will be asked to enter any HO Ref numbers that you have.

By entering the ref number(s), they can simply check all the information they have on their records.

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Illegal entry to UK

Post by szy123 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am

Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes, we will provide all relevant reference numbers. I will follow your advice.

Much appreciated.
Thank you

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

proof of residing in UK over last 3 years

Post by szy123 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Hello All

We've applied for my wife's naturalization, but I'm not sure how to prove that she was living in UK over last 3 years. She hasn't been working, so no P60, no pay slips and no letter from employer available. She hasn't been studying and we don't have any government-issued documents either. She was basically looking after our kids at home for last few years, when they were little. We've listed all dates when we were abroad, but because it was mostly in Poland she didn't get any stamps when departing and arriving in UK. the last stamp she got, was when we came back from Philippines in Mar 2020, but then we went to Poland in August the same year and no stamps were stamped in her passport. Can we use Council Tax and Mortgage letters as a prove of her living in UK?
From what I've read in 'National policy: naturalization as British citizen by discretion' document, they will check every holiday date we've listed in the application and I'm not sure how to prove that she was in UK and hasn't exceeded her stay abroad, if we don't have all the stamps.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: proof of residing in UK over last 3 years

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 pm

szy123 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:36 pm
Hello All

We've applied for my wife's naturalization, but I'm not sure how to prove that she was living in UK over last 3 years. She hasn't been working, so no P60, no pay slips and no letter from employer available. She hasn't been studying and we don't have any government-issued documents either. She was basically looking after our kids at home for last few years, when they were little. We've listed all dates when we were abroad, but because it was mostly in Poland she didn't get any stamps when departing and arriving in UK. the last stamp she got, was when we came back from Philippines in Mar 2020, but then we went to Poland in August the same year and no stamps were stamped in her passport. Can we use Council Tax and Mortgage letters as a prove of her living in UK?
From what I've read in 'National policy: naturalization as British citizen by discretion' document, they will check every holiday date we've listed in the application and I'm not sure how to prove that she was in UK and hasn't exceeded her stay abroad, if we don't have all the stamps.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you
You only need to submit passport(s)
No other other evidence is required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

szy123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: proof of residing in UK over last 3 years

Post by szy123 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:18 am

Hi
Thank you for your prompt response.
On the checklist of documents to provide is 'proof of living in UK for 3 years'. What should I provide if the passport does not show all the stamps. how can I prove she's been here for last 3 years and hasn't exceeded max allowed days outside of UK?